Jun 24, 2019, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
There is a problem, and it is with the new laws passed by Congress and being put in place by Congress that requires that basically everyone who flies any RC UAS, even those less than 250g, must meet certain criteria, one of which will be passing a knowledge test, BEFORE they can fly. It is an unfortunate situation and it very well could discourage people from all ages from participating in this hobby.
Which is exactly what the state wants. Complete subservience to the state. Anything can now be proclaimed as a potential threat or danger to others. Anything.
We live in a time where the state can decide which speech is allowed and what isn't. How much of our earnings we are allowed to keep or what we can consume and can't. Where bureaucrats justify their existence and for more expenditures for the next fiscal year by creating new laws and regulations without congressional approval to which we are then legally bound to obey or else the state will be forced to apply its storm troopers.
Which is why this entire kerfuffle has been blown way out of proportion in order to justify the state's involvement.
As one politician once stated," never let a good crisis go to waste."
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2019, 04:13 PM
FA34HM3YC7
The rest of the quotation is; "What I mean by that it’s an opportunity to do things that you think you could not do before".

Last edited by Rhea; Jun 24, 2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: By Rahm Emanuel
Jun 24, 2019, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrowe
Frankly, I don’t have any issue with model operations up to 1000’ or higher with a NOTAM issued so full-scale knows where they are.
Come on, let's not get silly. Nobody's going to get a NOTAM issued so they can play with a toy. And the FAA doesn't want to deal with requests from modelers, which is why their current attitude is "Air Traffic Facilities should not authorize or approve any recreational flight", and once they have the LAANC up, they "will not accept or authorize anything for altitudes higher than 400 feet". This is really "let them eat cake" levels of disingenuousness.

Quote:
My response is due to the attitude of ‘I’ve got a right’ or ‘they can get outta my way, I was here first’, or the ‘screw the FAA, I’m just going to break the law ‘cause they’ll never catch me’ attitude.
They might catch me. But the alternative is to stop flying, so, whatever. Had my repaired Oxy2 out, might have made it a whole 20 feet in the air in class G, with class B 500 feet up. No airliners were harmed, despite the shocking lack of registration and the disregard for any and all safety guidelines. Oxy2 not doing so good, I think the motor might be bad.
Jun 25, 2019, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan
-My understanding is the law requires registration of the r/c aircraft if it weighs more than 250g., and the law requires one to be at least 13 years of age in order to register. There is guidance from the FAA that says, for recreational flying, the owner must register as a recreational hobbyist and place their registration number on each aircraft, but if the owner isn't 13 years old or over, than someone 13 years old or older must register it. By the way, I am NOT saying kinds under 13 shouldn't fly. Obviously the law and associated regs have issues, and kids should fly...
There is NO REGISTRATION for individual model aircraft for hobby flying. The PILOT registers once and the same registration number is displayed on all of their aircraft.
Jun 25, 2019, 06:45 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
Come on, let's not get silly. Nobody's going to get a NOTAM issued so they can play with a toy. And the FAA doesn't want to deal with requests from modelers, which is why their current attitude is "Air Traffic Facilities should not authorize or approve any recreational flight", and once they have the LAANC up, they "will not accept or authorize anything for altitudes higher than 400 feet". This is really "let them eat cake" levels of disingenuousness.

They might catch me. But the alternative is to stop flying, so, whatever. Had my repaired Oxy2 out, might have made it a whole 20 feet in the air in class G, with class B 500 feet up. No airliners were harmed, despite the shocking lack of registration and the disregard for any and all safety guidelines. Oxy2 not doing so good, I think the motor might be bad.
NOTAMS have been issues for larger events
Latest blog entry: Test entry
Jun 25, 2019, 10:57 AM
Remember...you must OBEY.
Jun 25, 2019, 01:51 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
Remember...you must OBEY.
Reminds me of an old employer I once had.
Jun 25, 2019, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2011
There is NO REGISTRATION for individual model aircraft for hobby flying. The PILOT registers once and the same registration number is displayed on all of their aircraft.
Ok so I believe I actually registered for this last year some time and printed out little pieces of paper w/ my name, ph #, and FAA # or whatever it's called, and taped them onto the bottom root of the wings of a couple of planes. But then later, I thought I read some where, probably on an update article here on RCG, that the legislation was being recalled or something for revision, so I didn't worry about it anymore, and forgot all about it.
I don't remember having to take a knowledge test, and I don't even remember the website to check my status, etc. I do remember I paid like $12 or something.

Can someone post the link for the website to check that?

Thanks,
Bob
Jun 25, 2019, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob
Ok so I believe I actually registered for this last year some time and printed out little pieces of paper w/ my name, ph #, and FAA # or whatever it's called, and taped them onto the bottom root of the wings of a couple of planes. But then later, I thought I read some where, probably on an update article here on RCG, that the legislation was being recalled or something for revision, so I didn't worry about it anymore, and forgot all about it.
I don't remember having to take a knowledge test, and I don't even remember the website to check my status, etc. I do remember I paid like $12 or something.

Thanks,
Bob
Turn yourself in, admit your guilt and do penance.
Jun 25, 2019, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
NOTAMS have been issues for larger events
Sure, for larger events. But just some guy out flying his model, forget it. There's this whole system for real aircraft. It's not meant for toy aircraft. Nobody who deals with real aircraft wants to have to deal with toy aircraft, and in any case the systems for real aircraft are far too heavyweight to be practical. What, I'm going to send in a letter saying "Dear Mr. FAA Administrator, I would like to fly my toy aircraft up to 1000 feet at coordinates LAT/LONG next Sunday, please tell real aircraft to stay away?" The FAA would laugh me out of the country, and rightly so. The only way toy aircraft get to do anything (with the exception of big events run by people who know how to schmooze) is if no permission is needed; if you have to ask the real aircraft people you might as well just assume the answer is "no".
Jun 25, 2019, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob

Thanks,
Bob
Not the easiest website to navigate, but if you remember your login information when you first registered, you can find your info here:

https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/login

Good luck!

Lee McD
Jun 26, 2019, 01:29 PM
Thanks!

Wow, apparently I registered 6/6/16 & is good until 12/12/20.

There is more information on this website;

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

An excerpt from that website;

Changes Coming in the Future

The FAA is upgrading the online system, known as LAANC (the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), so that recreational operations can get automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace.

The new law also requires:

Drone operators to pass an online aeronautical knowledge and safety test and carry proof of test passage.
The FAA to issue guidance for how it will recognize community based organizations.
The FAA plans to have all of these features and requirements fully implemented by the summer of 2019.

Check our website for the latest updates or follow us on social media for the latest news.

More detailed information about the FAA's plan to fully implement the requirements of Section 349 of the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 may be found on the Federal Register.

Page last modified: June 06, 2019 10:57:52 AM EDT
Jun 26, 2019, 02:01 PM
Adam
Someone above was talking like only people flying larger than 250 gram RC models would need to take tests but I don’t recall reading that anywhere.

Anyone know?

The only thing I remember reading about 250 gram was that you didn’t need to register if you only fly small stuff like that and that for smaller RC models under 25 grams you didn’t need to put the identifier on them.
Jun 26, 2019, 03:20 PM
a couple of clicks from the website I posted gives you the answer

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_star...gistration.pdf
Jun 26, 2019, 04:09 PM
Adam
And that just shows how confusing it is then because that doesn’t say if you will have to pass a test to fly a 50 gram RC model. It only says if you need to register. If you only fly 25 gram RC models, you are still supposed to follow the other rules from what I can gather. You just don’t have to put a registration number on it.

Quick Reply