Jun 20, 2019, 12:48 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Servo selection, compatibility, and voltage

I'm building a Pilot RC 31% Edge 540 with a DA60 and have the following questions on servos/voltage.

1. Chief Aircraft offers 3 options for servo kits, and each option includes 1 servo that is faster than the others. What is the intended use of the faster servo? The throttle? How important is it? Should I want a 7.4V MKS HV1250 Super Speed?

2. I have tons of servos and batteries (and planes, with approximately zero built to completion). I have several of each of the three servos in the attached image. The MKS DS1220 is about $100 and gives speeds for 6V and 6.8V, the HS5665MH is about $90 and gives speeds for 6V and 7.4 V (needs servo programmer for 7.4V), and the $20 digital servo that says 4.8-6.8V on it.
***Can I use all 3 servos on this plane? (I'd use the cheaper servo for the choke) Does it matter if I have a power expander and voltage regulator (which I have several of)? What is the best battery to use? What voltage? Lipo or LiFe? What will happen if I do the opposite of your suggestions?

If it matters, I'm using a DX18 with a Spektrum AR9030T receiver, and I have a SmartFly PowerExpander Competition 12 available to use. My ignition system takes 4.8 or 6V.

3. Why doesn't RealFlight cover all of this?!?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide:-)
Last edited by matthewkdds; Jun 20, 2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Improvement.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2019, 07:26 AM
Phil liebo
The faster servo would be good for throttle.
Make sure if you’re not using high voltage servos to use a voltage regulator if you’re using Li-Po batteries. I would just use the servos you have and run everything on a regulated voltage You can buy switches that have a regulator built into them that keep your power output around 6 V

Quick Reply