Jul 03, 2019, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Gary,
The old rod had no bushing at the wrist pin end and the lower crank bushing fell out when I removed the rod.In the image,I stuck it back in for example,but it is beat. New bearings were needed and all good now.I was tired of the week long searching for the proper rod,so went ahead and forged it myself.The carb is a Perry on it now all cleaned up ready to go. As mentioned,this thing sat for at least 20 years,maybe longer.I took it home and showed to a boat guy at hobby shop.He said the engine was well stored and felt good. Went home and started it and to my surprise,took very little to start up.It actually idled...bit high but most likely properly.Swapping the new parts especially bearings was good idea,it was then I saw the con rod was worn.Going forward on this,will post what happens next asap.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2019, 08:08 AM
Thread OP
My custom con rod works but the carb has an issue yet.It has a groove worn into the mounting port so tried some JB weld but that stuff failed as usual. I could use epoxy since it is plastic but will see about body replacement from Perry.I would buy a new carb..but seems like pulling teeth to me. All the carbs for sale have almost no details and like guessing game.This whole engine has been a guessing game since there are no parts available for it.In reality,I should have replaced the engine and sold this off.Now,already invested into it,so I am forced to continue.I will get it running...then run it until it croaks and then have reason to get rid of it.No luck locating a head gasket and do not even know the size I need...limited parts sheet with only part numbers to work with.Part numbers are useless when they do not exist. I hope the carb body replacement gets me in the water...sort of end of my rope on this project.
Jul 05, 2019, 10:13 AM
Thread OP
My last effort to get this boat to run good and dependable.The carb was holding me back.
So will conclude with this last mod that appears to work well.The brass fitting threaded onto the carb port tight and using thread sealant.See what happens.Trying to keep this thread alive and maybe others will find it useful.I think the real issue is OLD is OUT and most just write the checks and buy the latest and greatest.I see no sources for restoration of these older engines.It is what it is -
Jul 06, 2019, 07:49 AM
Hi JimmyZ, I was never a fan of relying on the cross pin for keeping carburetor in place. I would clean the carb neck with alcohol , put the o-ring on and apply 5 minute epoxy. Then I would install the carb in place and snug the cross only to hold in place until the epoxy to cure. When disassembling, you just loosen the cross pin and grab the carb and twist to break loose. I never had one fall off. Thank you, Gary
Jul 06, 2019, 02:27 PM
Thread OP
Have tried various epoxies and JB weld.The plastic carb wont hang on to it.Tried scratching the surface...still no go.So went and ordered a new carb.Will be here later next week sometime.All that is stopping me at this point.
Jun 02, 2021, 10:30 PM
You are only almost alone in restoring the old.
B T W. That is a Muck hull. I M O. Worth 20 x what you paid.
Jun 15, 2021, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsully
You are only almost alone in restoring the old.
B T W. That is a Muck hull. I M O. Worth 20 x what you paid.
Agreed. Great hull. I would have just picked up a modern (or semi modern) engine and called it a day.

Quick Reply