Jun 19, 2019, 06:08 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Balsa Supply issues in the US

I order balsa in bulk for my laser cutting operation
It seems that my suppliers are having difficlty getting good wood?
This is resulting in long delivery times to their customers.
Anybody else have an input on this?
I am told that the wind turbines are sucking up all the good wood for the turbine blades
Bob
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2019, 06:30 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
I too order in bulk, from Bud Nosen. Lately, thinner sheets like 1/16" all seem to have a twist in them, they won't lie flat. I don't know if this is due to lower quality wood, inadequate drying before sawing or poor storage conditions once sawn, but much of it has been unusable for modelling. That said, I haven't noticed longer lead times for delivery.

Steve
Jun 19, 2019, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeybob
I am told that the wind turbines are sucking up all the good wood for the turbine blades
Bob
Current excuse IMO
Years ago it was AirX balsa cores for Sailboats (subsequently proven as a Bad idea)
Then it was lining for Supertanker Oil holds. Lotsa wood used there.. No longer part of the designs though.
Current Turbine blades pre-emption claim is IMO sketchy .. as they simply don't use anywhere near Oil tanker required quantities of Balsa.
More plausibly it's a fresh twist on upping price points.
Jun 20, 2019, 09:25 AM
You may try AliExpress
It can take 4 to 8 weeks to keep the cost of shipping down.

You will a retailer will use any reason to increase prices.

Try this at time I was buying ball bearing 6203 for $0.48 each I found same bearing at pep boys for $5.99 and at OSH for $10.99.

Today ever retailer is using the new T taxes
But if still buying this ball bearing the new T tax would increase my cost buy only $0.12 BUT the retailer would raise there price by 25%

Bottom line just a way for retailers to have cover story to increase prices

https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/b...835&gclid=null

Dave

Quote:
Bob
Jun 21, 2019, 01:30 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Have you tried any of these other suppliers..

Specialized Balsa

National Balsa

AC supply

Midwest Products

Balsa Wood Inc.

Balsa Central

Sig MFG.

Balsa Wood shop

And if you want plywood, Aircraft Plywood MFG sells plywood, in both 'standard' aircraft grade birch plywood, (phenolic based adhesive) and laser cuttable aircraft grade birch plywood that had a melamine based adhesive that is designed to be easier to cut with a laser. If you contact Jerome at Aircraft plywood, he will send you samples of this plywood. I have purchased the 1/16' and am going to purchase some 1/8". He makes it in 4'X8' sheets, but will cut down to 2'X4' sheets for cost saving on shipment. Both the 1/16" and 1/8" sheets are $105.00 per sheet plus shipping. (two sheets of 1/16" cost about $250.00 shipped, but that will give you a lot of wood.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Jun 21, 2019 at 01:43 PM.
Jun 22, 2019, 09:20 AM
The Junk Man
I have had very good luck ordering through Balsa Wood Inc. http://www.balsawoodinc.com/balsawoodproducts

Tom
Jun 25, 2019, 10:16 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
The initial push for turbine blade seemed to be real. I'm only aware of one of the manufacturers, but they have switched to a rohacell-like foam. Not sure about the rest...
Jun 25, 2019, 02:42 PM
Odd place to use balsa wood. The drafman must a model bulder

Dave

Quote:
Bob

Quick Reply