Jun 19, 2019, 01:54 PM
Thread OP
Cool

Soaring Society of America contest

Planes started flying today. I have seen as many as 18-20 sailplanes thermaling near my house in Hobbs, NM while they were waiting for the start of a task. They're launching with ag planes and can launch 4 dozen planes in a little over an hour. It's fun to see the launch, much like a ballet of ag aircraft and glass slippers.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2019, 07:02 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
This is the 18-meter class Nationals... You should go over and watch the launch. I'd say also watch the finish but they aren't nearly so entertaining since GPS was introduced. We used to go through the finish gate at red line, usually dumping water... pretty close to the ground. At 145 kts, the pull ups were pretty spectacular.

Darth Missinit.......

Quick Reply