Jun 23, 2019, 04:03 PM
always something to learn...
Cpt. Chaos: I'll try and clear up a few of your questions. (I also have to upload some pics, as the ones from facebook don't work!)

My questions:

1.) Will this plane fly well, powered by a 6s/5000mAh battery? (Scale flying, some medium aerobatics, no crazy stuff)

It should, as that is what is recommended, and with all that wing area, I would bet it floats in nicely for landings, too.

2.) Should I go for the 275kv or the 320 kv version of the 5065 Aerostar motor?

I went with the 275 kv motor, as I will be using the 20" propeller. If you use a smaller one, you will want higher kv.

3.) What Amp draw can I expect from the recommended setup (6s battery / Aerostar 5065 275kv or 320kv motor / 20 x 8 prop) ?
I will have to check mine when I get that far on the model. I bought a plush 100 amp ESC.

4.) Any recommendation for a specific prop (manufacturer/size)?

5.) Can the battery be installed through the side door of the cockpit? (For non-gynecologists!)
You should be able to install the battery through the side door, if you wish. I will be.

6.) How about motorangles (down/right)? Are they necessary and if so, are they already "preset" by the installed firewall?
There appears to be no offset built into the firewall, but it would be easy to add.

7.) Can the 5065 Aerostar motor be mounted directly against the firewall, or will I have to use some kind of spacer-frame? Any parts for that included?
It needs to be offset from the firewall. Long bolts are included for this, with extra nuts, and washers too. You will need to drill out the holes in the aluminum mount to fit, but you will need to drill them into the firewall anyway.

8.) Any parts on the plane that scream for replacement/reinforcement/changes right away, before the first flight?

Not that I have seen yet!!

9.) What about transport / preparing the plane on the field (wings / struts)? Is it as easy as it seema (fast connections)?
I haven't built that far yet, but it looks to be pretty easy.

Furthermore: Some unboxing pictures would really help me with my decision. Thank you!

I'm working on those. --------Metalguy
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2019, 05:02 PM
Thank you, @Lynxman and @metalguy. Those informations already helped a lot!
Jun 25, 2019, 03:52 PM
JohnVHRC
H-King 94.5" Navy Piper Cub 2400mm from HobbyKing THIRD FLIGHT! (6 min 32 sec)
Latest blog entry: 94,5" Navy Cub
Jun 26, 2019, 11:30 AM
always something to learn...
Still assembling mine. The instructions are pretty crappy, but that is expected anymore. The cable pull-pull system for the rudder is pretty fiddly, so I used a long control rod (wire) to snake the cables through the fuse. I accidentally knocked the fuse over, and damaged the covering under the horizontal stab.... Good thing some repair covering is included in all three colors of this plane. That was a nice bonus. I am having major issues with Dropbox, so no pics, sorry. When I maiden it, I'll you tube it, so I can post here. ------Metalguy
Jun 26, 2019, 01:06 PM
Interesting to hear that repair covering is included. That makes me want it to do some scale mods.
Jun 26, 2019, 01:53 PM
JohnVHRC
Ill get my unboxing video up asap
Jun 26, 2019, 03:35 PM
100% electric since 1990
I think this is a re-hash of the VQ models Piper L-4, which was actually a pretty good arf for the money. Poor instructions, but fairly easy to build and a good flyer. Covering is not ultracote but essentially painted shelf paper. It will sag if left in the summer sun, but looks very scale.

(the same one that lynuxman posted video of here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=15)
Jun 26, 2019, 03:46 PM
100% electric since 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Chaos
Hi there!

I am considering to buy this plane and install an electric setup. So far I have flown the H-King Grand Tundra (1700mm) and the E-Flite Cessna 150 (2112 mm). Therfore the 2400 mm Cub would be my biggest/heaviest plane and also my first wood airframe, so some more information and advice would be appreciated.

Having built a few similar models (I think this is a VQ models re-brand), I wouldn't suggest this as a first balsa arf because the instructions are very sparse. It assumes you have built something similar before. The price is tempting, and it is a good flyer (again, based on my experience with a different plane once sold by hobbyking with the exact same specs) but a bit tricky to put together.

Then again, if you have a little help and support from some fellow clubmembers, it would be a good model for an "assist build", where someone helps you with some of the assembly. Often with these inexpensive arfs you have to replace hardware, etc. A little experience helps.

For a first balsa arf, I would suggest something from one of the name brands, with good photo instructions, spare parts, and product support.

Not much smaller is the extreme flight turbo bushmaster, not much more expensive but an impressive arf to fly and a joy to build:
https://extremeflightrc.com/84-Turbo...me_p_2296.html

Don't be put off by all the 3-d flying in the videos, it flies like a trainer.
Jun 26, 2019, 03:49 PM
JohnVHRC
Manual was very easy to follow, but Im a very experienced builder/pilot and dont need a manual for most things. But I thought they did good with it.
Jun 26, 2019, 05:32 PM
Head NEAT geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
I think this is a re-hash of the VQ models Piper L-4, which was actually a pretty good arf for the money. Poor instructions, but fairly easy to build and a good flyer. Covering is not ultracote but essentially painted shelf paper. It will sag if left in the summer sun, but looks very scale.

(the same one that lynuxman posted video of here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=15)
Tyler

rehash of the 106" VQ? I don't see the similarities personally.

except for some small scale problems I see this 94" HK model as much more scale than the 106" VQ
Jun 26, 2019, 06:03 PM
JohnVHRC
Its not built like that plane is, interior is different.
Jun 26, 2019, 06:07 PM
The Cub I posted isn't a VQ, it's a CMP.
Jun 27, 2019, 01:29 PM
JohnVHRC
H-King 94.5" Navy Piper Cub 2400mm from HobbyKing UNBOXING AND BUILD! (10 min 49 sec)
Jul 11, 2019, 10:34 PM
Well I've ordered one , will be using a Power 160 on 10s only because I have it lying around and will fit a Aerotow release. have some Dubro 4.5inch big wheels to go on as well..
Jul 12, 2019, 01:38 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminater
Well I've ordered one , will be using a Power 160 on 10s only because I have it lying around and will fit a Aerotow release. have some Dubro 4.5inch big wheels to go on as well..
You'll definitely be towing with that setup

I've been chatting to a guy with a 1/4 scale Cub with the same setup and she prop hangs lol
I have a Spacewalker with the same setup, never tried prop hanging but certainly has reserve power, and a very easy 8~10 minutes casual scale flying with 18 x 8, should do 12 minutes if i wanted to.

Quick Reply