Jun 18, 2019, 11:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

What type of glazing putty

What type of glazing putty is used when finishing (filling low spots and pin holes) a Fiberglass Specialties cowl? I have seen Evercoat mentioned, but I just wanted to see what everyone uses.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2019, 11:14 PM
Scott
It depends on what you are doing. The Evercoat is a Polyester product, much like thin bondo, that is mixed with a hardener. It is good for larger areas. Old school spot putty (the red stuff in the tube) is basically thick lacquer primer that dries by solvent evaporation. It is better for pin holes. Put some on your finger and wipe into the surface. When dry sand like primer.

Scott
Jun 19, 2019, 11:39 AM
Thread OP
Where do I get the red putty, do you have a name for it? Thanks.
Jun 19, 2019, 12:43 PM
Red putty can be found in some auto supply stores. They know it as "body putty". I use it to fill the joint in two-piece wheel pants, plastic or fiberglass. Luck!
Jun 19, 2019, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
I think I will try this stuff, Evercoat spot putty
Jun 19, 2019, 10:54 PM
Scott
That is the red stuff. The Evercoat glazing putty I referred to is a 2 part product.

Scott
Jun 19, 2019, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
I think the red stuff will do for my application as I’m just filling some small area defects and low spots on a cowl and wheel pants. I just wanted to make sure it works and wont come off as I’m new to these procedures. I do know that you need to primer the fiberglass first before using the red stuff so it can bite into the primer and adhere better.
Jun 20, 2019, 11:22 PM
Scott
I'm not so sure I would prime first. The red spot putty is just thick primer. Wash the fiberglass several times with soap and water and wipe it down with thinner. I put a dab of putty on my finger tip and rub it into the pinholes. It will look like crap, but almost all of it gets sanded off anyway. Sand it with 220 or so and prime over it. you can putty over the primer if any holes show up that you missed.

Scott
Jun 21, 2019, 08:05 AM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
I think the red stuff will do for my application as Iím just filling some small area defects and low spots on a cowl and wheel pants. I just wanted to make sure it works and wont come off as Iím new to these procedures. I do know that you need to primer the fiberglass first before using the red stuff so it can bite into the primer and adhere better.
I have never had any problems at all with spot putty not sticking to fiberglass. None, nada, zip. I sand, spot fill, sand again, prime, do any minor spots that show up at the end, prime those then shoot the paint.

Tom
Jun 21, 2019, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
Cool, thanks for the advice guys! I’m a rookie when it comes to paint and finish.
Jun 28, 2019, 11:13 PM
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
Cool, thanks for the advice guys! Iím a rookie when it comes to paint and finish.
We all were once. Then we made all the mistakes, learned from a few of them, and got a little better at it......

Scott

Quick Reply