Jun 18, 2019, 10:22 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Build Log

"COUGAR, 90mm" - Sling shooter. "MAIDEN DISASTER"

Latest addition to my EDF fleet is another bargain I spotted in the RCT to make use of number of my spare 90mm EDF power units. I'm going to build this as simple as possible as a sling shooter for some fun off the beaches hard packed sand.
Last edited by jofro; Today at 04:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2019, 03:48 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Starting mods of the thrust tube and air intake enlargements by 30%, plus extra cheater openings in front of the canopy and the top of the fuse to get the best out of it.
Jun 19, 2019, 06:51 AM
Who's the vendor?
Jun 19, 2019, 06:53 PM
jofro
Thread OP
No vendor, I bought it for a song from the 3rd. hand brand new in the box after it was advertised on RCT locally. I think it was too much of a nut to crack for the previous owners.
Jun 22, 2019, 04:26 AM
jofro
Thread OP
I'm redesigning the whole Rudder tail assembly to be removable, instead of recommended bonding to the fuse, it will be so much easier to access and properly seal off the power leads exiting through the rear duct, plus any future maintenance if required.
Extra large cheater opening was cut out in front of the fan for as much air as the fan wants to get the best out of it with an open front intakes.
I have found the front of the rear thrust tube is much too large for any 90mm EDF unit so it takes a lot of "attention" to connect the two together to minimize loss of air efflux pressure.
Jun 22, 2019, 10:01 AM
Classic jets rule
Clean mods.
Jun 23, 2019, 03:57 AM
jofro
Thread OP
TX Rog, simple and practical to keep this one. Whole tail ass. is now fitted with 4 CF rods to slide on, and will be secured by few self tappers for easy service removal.
Elevator stab tube in the fin was out of whack, had to be re-aligned with the main wings, glad I'm not fitting landing gear on this one, the CG in relation to the gear is also well out of whack!
The CG is actually slight behind the gear which would be a pain in the neck flying off the grass.
Pretty badly though off on the drawing board!
Just fitted the ply wood skid catapult hook and working on to seal off all the belly cavities
Jun 23, 2019, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Dudeck
Who's the vendor?
It's the one HK used to sell.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0mm-EDF-Cougar
Jun 25, 2019, 03:36 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Spend almost the whole day assembling the all controls, all seem to work flawlessly.
Power system is next.
Jun 27, 2019, 03:21 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Bit more progress along the way, now fitted with the arrestor probe for an easy sling release, finally fitted with the power set up and test run with some 330 Watts/Lb., should move this new toy nicely.
Jun 29, 2019, 03:49 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Sealing off the belly cavities.
Jul 03, 2019, 03:40 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Another toy is ready, I got 5 rainy days ahead to do the proper range check before first sling shoot next week.
Jul 03, 2019, 10:49 AM
Nice to be able to find balsa/fiberglass models.
It’s all contaminated by foam now days.
Last edited by Comrade_D; Jul 03, 2019 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply