Jun 19, 2019, 10:21 PM
Buy whichever you think is the prettiest, a radio is a radio these days. They all work, are ergonomic and have solid links. I have used all the major brands over the years, they all have positives and negatives.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2019, 10:25 PM
Thread OP
The more I think about it, I just don't see the logic or economics of switching to a different brand when I"m used to Spektrum and already have 3 lemon telemetry RXs that are DSMX + a handful of other dsmx receivers. I"m not the young buck I used to be pushing 50 in 3 years. not exactly planning to go completely nuts with models for the remainder of my existence.
Jun 19, 2019, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwater2
The DX8G2 also comes with antenna diversity in the transmitter, which is a nice feature. The rechargeable battery is good, too. If you can swing it, that's probably a better choice than the dX8e.
I concur on the DX8 Gen 2; otherwise look into an x10s.
Jun 19, 2019, 10:49 PM
There you go, problem solved... Spektrum it is.
Jun 20, 2019, 07:48 AM
Thread OP
lol, so here is another spin on this discussion. I got to thinking this morning, I have a few XK micro helis I fly a lot which uses the futaba.xk radio. FUTABA S-FHSS protocol. Would be nice to have a better radio for the XK helis and also have one radio that can do both the dsmx and the fhss protocols. Found this:

https://usa.banggood.com/IRangeX-IRX...r_warehouse=CN

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone used this Module with the Tarranis and can chime in on how well it works? It apparently works with both the FHSS and the DSMX protocols.
Last edited by bpjacobsen; Jun 20, 2019 at 07:57 AM.
Jun 20, 2019, 07:51 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjacobsen
lol, so here is another spin on this discussion. I got to thinking this morning, I have a few XK micro helis I fly a lot which uses the futaba.xk radio. FUTABA S-FHSS protocol. Isn't there a module for the tarranis that allows you to switch between multiple protocols? Would be nice to have a better radio for the XK helis and also have one radio that can do both the dsmx and the fhss protocols. Any thoughts on this?
Yes, the Multiprotocol module supports Futaba S-FHSS (it's the only Futaba protocol supported). That module also supports DSMX and DSM2.

The XK radio is NOT made by Futaba, it's a clone made by XK (Align radios on the other hand are made by Futaba if they are S-FHSS)
Jun 20, 2019, 08:04 AM
Thread OP
Would love to hear from anyone that has used this particular module and how well it works. Just trying to be careful and do my homework before I decide what to do. I like the idea of Open Tx and programming on the PC etc. and the fact that it is cheaper than the dx8 G2 with a lot more features and versatility. I'm leaning towards the Tarranis the more I look into this but would like more feedback on anyone's experience using this module.
Jun 20, 2019, 08:49 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Personally, I would not use the MPM as a DSMX option for anything other than Micro's. I'd be fine with it for the XK heli's (which are Micro's)

I'm personally a fan of sticking with native 1st party radios or modules for any park or full range applications.

Up until last week I was pairing a DX18G1 with my Taranis X9D+ and Horus X12S, flying DSMX on the DX18 and ACCST on the FrSky units. DX18G1's are very inexpensive on the used market and are excellent (and can run the latest firmware, so all Airware features except voice and wireless trainer are present).
Jun 20, 2019, 09:27 AM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwater2
The DX8G2 also comes with antenna diversity in the transmitter, which is a nice feature. The rechargeable battery is good, too. If you can swing it, that's probably a better choice than the dX8e.
Good point.
Jun 20, 2019, 09:51 AM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
lol, so here is another spin on this discussion. I got to thinking this morning, I have a few XK micro helis I fly a lot which uses the futaba.xk radio. FUTABA S-FHSS protocol. Would be nice to have a better radio for the XK helis and also have one radio that can do both the dsmx and the fhss protocols. Found this:

https://usa.banggood.com/IRangeX-IRX...r_warehouse=CN

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone used this Module with the Tarranis and can chime in on how well it works? It apparently works with both the FHSS and the DSMX protocols.
Like Mawz, I would recommend not compromising your main interest, which seems to be flying DSM models. If possible, stick to Spektrum for your main transmitter.

However, the Taranis with iRangeX module can also be a viable solution if you are prepared to learn a new programming approach and deal with complications. For me, the module works very well for DSM, but I mainly use my DX9. I have no experience with it using the Futaba protocol.

By the way, if you did go this route, you wouldn’t want the Plus version. That’s the one with a knob to select the protocol. For use with Taranis, get the non-Plus serial version and select the protocol in the transmitter firmware.
Jun 20, 2019, 10:13 AM
Odds are they both will work
The cost of radio equipment is dropping .

The old companies will ether drop there price to match or stop making equipment.

It hard to compete with low wages over sea.

Where I live the min wage will $15.00 mid west $7.25, over sea China $62.00 a week with long hours other parts of world $0.50 per hour.

My uncle said be a plumber you will always have a job in the worsted of times.
He was 20 in October of 1929

Dave

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.21fffb7524c0

Quote:
So the story: I was out flying with my DX7 late last week after work one day. was near dark, and I was retrieving my HK Tundra from a freak crash. I put me DX7 down on the grass. (bad idea) I put my plane in the car and headed home. I wanna say this was Thursday night. By Friday night, I finally came to realize, I left the darn DX7 at the park. So there I am frantically searching with my flashlight around midnight looking for it. No dice. So I posted a couple of signs around the park with a photo of a DX7, my name and number to call if found. Also called the township to see if anyone turned it in at lost and found. no dice.
About an hr or two after I left the park yesterday from putting up the signs, someone called and said they saw it in the grass (wet as it rained that night before) and put it on the same park bench where he saw my sign that I hung on the side of it, hoping a jogger would see it since it faced the joggin path. Needless to say, someone else picked it up and I have heard nothing from anyone else. (really don't understand why the guy didn't just keep it but oh well, my own darn fault) So after finally renewing my membership at the flying club, I am now without a Tx. (got an old DX6i but hesitant to use it since it's a bit outdated and not sure if I want to put trust in it.

So now that my story is out of the way, I"m wanting to know if anyone recommends the FrSky Taranis X9D Plus (or similar) instead of the Spektrum DX8e (around the same price-ish)? Can this radio bind with my DSMX receivers? (got a few lemon telemetry Rx and some knock off dsmx/orange Rx receivers.) Probably gonna be a bit before I can buy a new radio and sorta holding out hope that the person who picked up my DX7 will see my sign and come forward. Man it just hurts really bad. Still so mad at myself for leaving it there. But I need to move forward and figure out what my replacement will be. I want to make sure I get something with good value for the money that will work with the dxmx receivers. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. (curious if anyone else has ever done something like this or am I just really that much of a knucklehead. lol.
Last edited by smithdoor; Jun 20, 2019 at 10:24 AM.
Jun 20, 2019, 07:35 PM
Thread OP
Funny you mention. my work is outsourcing and I have no idea how much longer I will have a job. It sux how this country can't protect it's own people's jobs and allows companys to save money and sacrifice american jobs. just saying. (not to go off topic here)
Jun 20, 2019, 09:59 PM
Be a plumber it hard to outsource
Ever home and building have plumbing and some day it will need work.

I was in manufacturing from 1993 till I sold my business in 2004. I did shipping over sea too.

I did think 1970's about in making model airplanes and parts instead my father and my self when into manufacturing aircraft hangar doors

Today it hard to find a good job that will last.
Always look for a job that can not be outsource and when times are bad you still have work.

I had a contractor license and after selling my business then real estate broker license.

Only to find my uncle was right , be a plumber
My uncle did next best contrator for sewerage tanks and pumping out .

Good luck
Dave

Quote:
Funny you mention. my work is outsourcing and I have no idea how much longer I will have a job. It sux how this country can't protect it's own people's jobs and allows companys to save money and sacrifice american jobs. just saying. (not to go off topic here)

Quick Reply