Jun 18, 2019, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
Question

Futaba 14sg Pattern Plane Programming

Im trying to program my Futaba T14SG for use with an ExtremeFlightRC 48 Vanquish. I have my left aileron servo into channel 1, and my right aileron channel into channel 6. How do you set the precise amount of control throw on each channel, plus have high and low rates.

I used to use FrSky, and I had to create individual curves to give the correct amount of throw on each aileron.

I have been reading into the Malcom Holt Kindle book, but no success.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2019, 08:49 AM
Oxford Panic
Set-up Aileron differential and this will give you the correct mix with everything linked to the aileron function. If you don't actually want any differential just leave the settings at 100%.

A.
Jun 19, 2019, 09:09 AM
I change wing type to 2 Aileron so 1 and 6 work together on the same stick but are each adjustable. I run the ATVs up to 120 as you want ATVs higher then 100 to help keep great resolution. Once ATVs are set to 120, I find the servo arm that gets me the high rate throw I want. After arm is on, I use the ATVs to get up and down travel equal. Then go into dual rates and your highs are already good. Just set your low and expo. I love my pattern planes.
Jun 19, 2019, 06:07 PM
+1 on that setup.
Nothing flies as good . Just our opinion, right Nappyroots2182
Mel
Jun 19, 2019, 06:46 PM
I tell everybody that everyone needs at least one pattern plane. Once you learn how to setup and fly them smooth, everything you fly will look better.
Jun 20, 2019, 01:33 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr41nwr3k
...How do you set the precise amount of control throw...
Hi,
To get same throw up and down on aileron You can measure that with a mechanical throwmeter (or digital meter but more expensive).
Exemple of a mechanical throwmeter: Miracle RC Throw Meter

For elevator throws one usually have slightly more throw down then up because one usually press slightly down in inverted flight so You are using some of the down throw just to fly level then.
On Your 48" Vanquish MKII it is only one servo for elevator but if it had one servo for each elevator half then You need to check alignment also for each half so that You have both halves horizontal at neutral and then same amount of trow up for both, and same amount of throw down for both keeping in mind the throw down should be slightly more.
To get elevator halves aligned at neutral one can use two long rods (carbond rods for example) and tape on the elevator halves and then check from side. There is also ready to use alignment rods with magnets, sold by CK Aero (under Products, Tools).

Try as a starting point the suggested throws that is mentioned in the 48" Vanquish MKII manual, and adjust after flights from there to suit you.
Remember also to use whole servo movment range to get better servo precision, You may need to move the link on the servo arm and or control horn to get this correct.
There is much more on the trimming process but above is good to start with.

/Bo
Jun 21, 2019, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
Let's see if I have this correct. My left aileron is plugged into channel 1, my right aileron is plugged into channel 6, I have my linkages both the same length. Now programming the 14sg, I set my aileron throws for 20 degrees using the Aileron Differential. 20 degrees would be my high rate. When setting my low rate of 12 degrees, the left and right throws where off.

If I created a mix with Ail and Ail2, that should give me the correct adjustment to give precise amount of throw for left and right for low rates.

Thanks for all the help that everyone has given so far.
Jun 22, 2019, 06:49 AM
I don't use the differential screen. I use the travel screens to adjust the throws of each surface. Start a new model in the TX so we start clean. Text me and we can go step by step. 563 508 1507
Jun 22, 2019, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr41nwr3k
Let's see if I have this correct. My left aileron is plugged into channel 1, my right aileron is plugged into channel 6, I have my linkages both the same length. Now programming the 14sg, I set my aileron throws for 20 degrees using the Aileron Differential. 20 degrees would be my high rate. When setting my low rate of 12 degrees, the left and right throws where off.

If I created a mix with Ail and Ail2, that should give me the correct adjustment to give precise amount of throw for left and right for low rates.

Thanks for all the help that everyone has given so far.
Please be aware that while the orientation you have would be used on full scale stuff especially multi-engine, but it's backwards on model transmitters. You may find it easier to do mixes and set variables on the model if you remember that they start on the right side not the left. So Aileron #1 would be the right Aileron. Elevator #1 would be the right elevator.

Just a thought....
Jun 22, 2019, 05:52 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Please be aware that while the orientation you have would be used on full scale stuff especially multi-engine, but it's backwards on model transmitters. You may find it easier to do mixes and set variables on the model if you remember that they start on the right side not the left. So Aileron #1 would be the right Aileron. Elevator #1 would be the right elevator.

Just a thought....
Remember, the OP's coming from FrSky, where the orientation is what you choose it to be.
Jun 23, 2019, 04:27 PM
What I'm remembering is that the Futaba and FrSky have almost nothing in common except that they are both RC radio tx's.

The 14SG is going to act as I described.
Jun 25, 2019, 08:38 AM
I talked him through it over the phone. Maybe he will let us know how things worked out.

Quick Reply