Jul 03, 2019, 06:58 PM
Thread OP
Well, I'm back home for the day. I drove in late yesterday and will be returning to help back at my Father's. I had a bunch of chores that I needed to get done and got lucky in that it only took until about 3:30 to finish. As a result I had a little time to work on the Sportster.

Early in the afternoon, I glued the rear end of the fuselage together and then added the formers that make up the fuselage from the trailing edge of the wing to the tail. Before I could glue them in I had to notch them for the pushrods (Sullivan Gold-N-Rods). All that took an hour or so to achieve. While the glue dried, I made up the top rear fuselage skin and, when dry, gave it a thorough sanding. The last action today was to attach the skin. It now gets a week or so to dry.

Tom K
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2019, 04:48 AM
Thread OP
I had a few moments this morning before I left for SC and couldn't resist cleaning up the rear fuselage skin I glued on last night. Boots, my quality control monitor, approves.
Jul 04, 2019, 05:33 AM
That fuse looks similar to the Hammer in that the horizontal stabilizer goes into a groove cut into the fuse sides. Did you do anything to beef up this area? I was thinking of adding a cross deck or at least Tri stock
Jul 04, 2019, 06:24 PM
Thread OP
No, there's nothing to reinforce the area. I doubt the f it needs it with both the top and bottom sheeted. Where I am concerned is the vertical fin attachment. It appears to be just glued to the top sheeting. This may get triangle stock on both sides to reinforce it.

Tom K
Jul 04, 2019, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
I'm thinking of making a new vertical fin that is about a half inch taller so I can spot it was into the fuselage and glue to the stabilizer.

Tom K
Jul 04, 2019, 07:35 PM
A man with a plan
Gluing it to the top sheeting is adequate for flight loads, but that's the least of the risks it faces. Going in and out of doorways, riding in the car with other planes, and general handling are usually too much for that kind of attachment. I like your idea of extending the fin down to the horizontal stabilizer. When I do that, I usually put the rearmost top sheeting on either side of the fin with the grain running fore/aft.
Jul 04, 2019, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, I may have to change last 4 inches or so of top sheeting.

Tom K
Jul 05, 2019, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
Gluing it to the top sheeting is adequate for flight loads, but that's the least of the risks it faces. Going in and out of doorways, riding in the car with other planes, and general handling are usually too much for that kind of attachment. I like your idea of extending the fin down to the horizontal stabilizer. When I do that, I usually put the rearmost top sheeting on either side of the fin with the grain running fore/aft.
Why the grain running for and aft? Just to make the cut easier? I would think strength would be reduced that way
Jul 05, 2019, 09:47 AM
A man with a plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
Why the grain running for and aft? Just to make the cut easier? I would think strength would be reduced that way
Yeah, pretty much. I suppose it could go either way, but with the grain running sideways it seems like it would chip off easily at the rear end where it's a little sliver.
Jul 05, 2019, 12:02 PM
Good point. I just cut my fin for the Hammer and made it long but in The hammer there it a top strip of 1/4” stock so I might be good with a slit
Jul 05, 2019, 12:21 PM
A man with a plan
I'm keeping an eye on your Hammer. I've always liked that design.
Aug 26, 2019, 08:43 AM
Thread OP
I'm back home for a few days so I made the new vertical fin. It's about a third of an inch taller than the original. the new fin and the old one are shown in the picture below.
Aug 27, 2019, 05:14 AM
Just curious why did you o larger?
Aug 27, 2019, 06:24 AM
Thread OP
Steve

The extra 1/3 inch will be buried in the fuselage. In the original design, the fin is simply glued to the top of the fuselage. The extra 1/3 of and inch will let me slot the top of the fuselage and glue the fin to the stab and provide extra support to the base of the fin. I'm expecting to travel with this little bird and would like it to be a little more resistant to hanger rash.

Tom K
Aug 27, 2019, 08:55 AM
I’m curious how wind will affect the 20 size I have the 40 size and it is a fair weather flyer

Quick Reply