Jun 30, 2019, 02:51 AM

Location of Gyroid in Cura 4.1.0

Location of Gyroid in Cura 4.1.0
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2019, 04:33 AM
Gyroid infill option in Cura 3.6
Last edited by Breitlingwings; Jun 30, 2019 at 04:41 AM.
Jun 30, 2019, 08:07 AM
Retired CAD guy
Thank you to Both of you !
Jul 09, 2019, 07:22 PM
I did some test and it is very promising

the 2.5% Gyroid infill is as strong as the structured one and 1000% faster to design.
My scale is not so precise so it can vary a bit.

Jul 10, 2019, 12:45 AM
My planes plow into the field
Good work...

What slicer did you use?
Jul 10, 2019, 03:35 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for your feedback !
Now the next step would be to print an entire wing or plane using 2.5% Gyro´d infill, and see how it performs...
I already printed my Pilatus wing using structure, but I already have plans for a 2.0 wing, and Gyro´d infill WILL be part of it.
Now if only I could find some time to work on the fuselage parts to just make version 1.0 fly !
Jul 10, 2019, 08:03 AM
wov
wov
I am not sure if someone has mentioned this already, but the problem with slicer based infill is that you cannot control where it is inside your printed part. The slicer usually places a virtual block of infill completely filling the build volumen and then cuts everything outside the part. The block is fixed, which means when you move your part to a different position on the build plate, the infill will look different.

This is no problem as long as the infill is dense enough, but for 3d printed planes we usually do not want very dense infill, but sometimes we want the junctions in specific locations to support other geometry. In my opinion, there is no way around a custom designed inner structure, which will be the same everytime the part is printed, no matter which slicer or position on the build platform.
Jul 10, 2019, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom
Good work...

What slicer did you use?
Since it is gyroid infill it is cura and version 4

Dan
Jul 10, 2019, 06:18 PM
My planes plow into the field
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrote
Since it is gyroid infill it is cura and version 4
Dan
Prusa's new Slicer (whatever it is call now) can do gyroid infills also. It is free and works for all printers...
Jul 12, 2019, 05:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wov
I am not sure if someone has mentioned this already, but the problem with slicer based infill is that you cannot control where it is inside your printed part.
Yes you can. Well, I thought that you could : Cura 4 has X and Y offset parameters in the "Infill" section, that you can set to move the infill pattern relative to the mesh. However it seems these parameters aren't implemented for the gyro´d infill pattern. I should raise a ticket
Jul 20, 2019, 05:23 AM

Gyroid "EPP"?

Hi there,

Thime is ripe for a good idea when more than a person got it independently. I was thinking about this gyroid stuff more to increase the durability of the printed planes...
BTW: Slic3r also hat a gyroid pattern creator in it to generate this kind of pattern.

Did anyone try this kind with flexible filament?
I dreamt of that it could end up with a pattern somehow like an EPP foamie in one shot without the hazzle of strapping tape and stuff. Could solve the fragility problem of the "classic" PLA printed planes.

Patrick
Jul 20, 2019, 05:34 AM
Simulated a little with a 10cm (4") cube. Probably it's impossible to get below 50kg/m│, more in the direction of 90, if it's more aerodynamic like a cube, probably more.
But - we are not comparing the foam alone but with strapping tape and stuff, maybe, this could fly.

Patrick

Quick Reply