Jun 17, 2019, 05:02 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Yippee!

Midwest magician 35

Just acquired a Magician 35 had one back in the 80s with a fox 35 and loved it! with that said am toying on what covering to use, vintage look would be dope/heavy tissue.
but for ease of application heat shrink mylar would work too, then thiers the "weaved look …...I use Esaki on my free flight models so thats another choice but would have to be doped, too many choices!
Last edited by lectroglide; Jun 18, 2019 at 02:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2019, 08:49 AM
Old Timer
I had two of the Midwest version Magician in the late 1960s, both covered with silk. The first one was more or less stock, like the instructions on the plans, with coupled flaps. It had a Fox 35 on it, and was comparatively heavy, for the size of the wing. I had made copies on the back of the plans of all the kit's parts. When something happened to make me leave the center of the flying circle (wind gust & slack lines, perhaps), it's too long ago to be sure any more, I knocked the outboard wing off on an upright supporting a small shed next to that circle.

My second one had the elevator much further rearward, and the flaps glued on, not hinged. It came out much lighter, and flew much better. I can remember the first one being painted Corsair Blue. I cannot recall what finish or color I used on the second one.

Kiwi
Jun 18, 2019, 12:48 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
when you say silk you mean tissue right? some refer to both that are the same, anyway I agree the wood in this kit is heavy, the kit and box weighs 2 lbs16oz
...to be honest I haven't flown 2line in many years so have forgotten what a profile stunter is spose to weigh, altho I have a funky old ring master with veco 19 that weighs around 20 oz.

one guy in the FF club has a custom made ringmaster with a 60 in span! I call it the "ringmonster! I think he flew it with a fox eagle.....
a sight to behold
Last edited by lectroglide; Jun 18, 2019 at 04:06 PM.
Jun 18, 2019, 04:21 PM
B for Bruce
A nice weight for a .35 Magician would be in the 36oz range. And Midwest kits from back then were not well known for their light wood. If the kit and box are already heavy that's not a good start.

As a teen I only had .15's. I made a Magician 15 from plans I got from someone at the time and used contest wood for much of the build. And covered it in tissue and clear dope only. With the OS Max III .15 it came out at 16 oz. It flew like a champ until around flight number 12 the engine cut without warning mid way up the climb of a wingover.... the results were not pretty. I was used to crashing from flying combat... .but not that one.... not that one....
Jun 18, 2019, 06:28 PM
Consider polyspan for covering. It looks a bit like tissue, but is damned strong and heat-shrinkable. I've done a number of vintage RC and C/L planes with it and nitrate.
-Ron
Jun 18, 2019, 06:35 PM
Ringmasters in polyspan.
Jun 18, 2019, 06:52 PM
Old Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide
when you say silk you mean tissue right? some refer to both that are the same, anyway I agree the wood in this kit is heavy, the kit and box weighs 2 lbs16oz
...to be honest I haven't flown 2line in many years so have forgotten what a profile stunter is spose to weigh, altho I have a funky old ring master with veco 19 that weighs around 20 oz.

Actually I would have said "silkspan" if that was what I meant. I bought and used K&S aero silk with dope, regularly. Both of my Magicians, the original (probably weighed about 40 ounces), and the clone, which only weighed 32 ounces, were covered in K&S aero silk cloth.

Kiwi
Jun 18, 2019, 07:41 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto2
Consider polyspan for covering. It looks a bit like tissue, but is damned strong and heat-shrinkable. I've done a number of vintage RC and C/L planes with it and nitrate.
-Ron
I keep hearing about Polyspan but have not yet tried it! the guys in the FF club mention it often so guess will have to research it, I have a Korda thermalizer on the board and would like to use something other than esaki cuzz of its size

your RM looks good, I see you sew your hinges too
Last edited by lectroglide; Jun 19, 2019 at 05:58 PM.
Jun 18, 2019, 08:37 PM
Dave Platt taught me how to do sewn hinges. They're hard to beat.
Jun 19, 2019, 12:16 AM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto2
Dave Platt taught me how to do sewn hinges. They're hard to beat.
I too got tired of slitting thin balsa just to slip some hinges in , besides sewing is an old tecnique

so whats the deal with this polyspan how is it applied ? If it was heat shrinkable Id be afraid could warp the fragile wood frame etc.
please explain
Last edited by lectroglide; Jun 19, 2019 at 03:34 AM.
Jun 19, 2019, 09:47 AM
It's pretty simple. First you have to determine which side goes inside and which goes outside. It's a little hard to see, but velcro hook material will stick to the inside. You want to lay the inside toward the wood as the outside will give you the smoothest finish. Cut to shape and stick down the edges with nitrate dope. If you need to move the edges you can use thinner to loosen and reseat the perimeter. Once dry, you can shrink down the polyspan with a monokote iron and/or heat gun. Apply dope with a foam brush as quickly as possible. You'll need six coats. I like to use Randolph non-tautening nitrate dope.
Yes, it can warp your wing while shrinking, so work both sides with the heat before you begin doping. It will burn through if you overheat it. I only did that once, though because the material had hit max shrinkage already and I tried to push it. Actually, except for the doping part this all applies to monokote.
Jun 19, 2019, 09:53 AM
The Ringmasters shown had Nason clear polyurethane sprayed on the wings after the nitrate dope. Boy, did that make it 'POP'!
The fuselages were covered in 3/4 oz glass and Klass-Kote.
Jun 28, 2019, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide
I keep hearing about Polyspan but have not yet tried it! the guys in the FF club mention it often so guess will have to research it, I have a Korda thermalizer on the board and would like to use something other than esaki cuzz of its size

your RM looks good, I see you sew your hinges too
Polyspan looks very much like silkspan when applied, but is much more puncture resistant. Don't worry too much about warps. I have covered lighter wings than cl stunt ships with it. If you do get a warp, twisting the wing while applying heat will take it out.
Jul 09, 2019, 09:36 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
ok guyz we got some polyspan coming so will see how it goes BTW itll be going on the big Korda DT
Jul 12, 2019, 08:12 PM
ama 1390
did mine in monocoat back in the day..looked great and still on there

Quick Reply