Jun 16, 2019, 09:59 PM
Flying again - 4th time
Thread OP
Discussion

Wings for a wrecked Phoenix V1 foam glider

A couple of years back I bought one of those early Phoenix 2000 gliders from Banggoof, and after flying it several months I flew it into a tennis court and wrecked the wings. The plastic fuselage is just fine, as is the tailplane, but the wings, propellers, motor, wing holders and interior balsa stanchions were destroyed.

I have electronics to replace the damaged stuff, and would like to put some new wings on the ship. Replacement parts are not available for this vintage of Phoenix. Should I:
  • Buy wings from another glider and attempt to affix them?
  • Design my own using balsa and do rib and stringer construction?
  • Carve them out of foam using a hot wire and mould?
  • Throw the fuselage out and say, "Blank it, it's a crappy old foamy and that's what they're for?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2019, 05:29 PM
Flying again - 4th time
Thread OP
I may be using the wings for the Excalibur from HK.
Jun 23, 2019, 08:07 PM
I think a lot depends on how you're going to use the glider. If you're going to be slope soaring at a location with rocks and bushes in the landing zone, you might want to keep the fuselage.

I wouldn't bother with a molded wing with a foamy fuselage. A bagged wing, or a balsa sheeted one, maybe. Maybe even just plain foam like the original. Balsa built up construction might be worth it if you enjoy the process. If an existing wing has similar span, root chord, and area, it may be a good candidate. Wasn't the Phoenix 2000 a 2 meter? It might fly a bit fast with 1600 mm wings. You might look at Radian or Easy Glider wings if the other dimensions are appropriate. I imagine quite a few people besides me have repairable Radian wings they're not using. Are you sure the old wings aren't salvageable? Have you carefully examined them at least a week after the crash?
Jun 23, 2019, 09:33 PM
You can purchase a Phoenix 2000 for $57 dollars. I'd just buy another one.

Art

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post42155641
Jun 25, 2019, 10:38 AM
Flying again - 4th time
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by old1104
You can purchase a Phoenix 2000 for $57 dollars. I'd just buy another one.

Art

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post42155641
Your link is just a link to your response. I can't find a V1 Phoenix anywhere for $57.
Jun 25, 2019, 01:04 PM
FOGeologist

It took some looking but I found the 57 again. I search on Phoenix 2000 pnp. I had been search for replacement wing. I found it on a different computer but could not find it this one. The glider is on sail. I did not try and purchase it and it may not be available as it hard to find.

Art

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aircraft...ircraft&is_v=1

Quick Reply