Mar 18, 2002, 02:22 AM
Thread OP

Newbie needs help!

Ok gang here is my story. I have always wanted to get into R/C planes, but I have yet to make it all the way. I was watching a show tonight on "R/C"s on the DIY channel and they were talking about park flyers. I purchased a sail plane a few years ago.. began assembling it and gave it to a friend. I am an apartment and city dweller in Austin, TX... we have lotsa nice sized parks that would make great places to fly.

I am looking to get in to the hobby in the next 6-12 months depending on how things go. I want something thats ARF and not real expensive. I think I would like something with landing gear. (I like the idea of trying to land.) I would definatly go for something higher priced if it's higher quality.

I was looking at the: Pleaser 400 ARF @ http://www.parkflyers.com/

I am also wondering where is a good place to buy from. Especially since I am clueless as to what I need. I need a place thats willing to help newbies.

Is it also nesscessary to belong to one of these associations and be covered by their insurence. I don't wanna have to trek to some flight feild and do a lot of training etc.. I wanna go over to the soccer feilds on week ends and evenings and teach myself to fly. (I think I have a book around here somewhere.)

Got some advice for a newbie?

thanks,
Jeremy
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2002, 02:47 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie

Wecome to the EZone!!!!!!!

Well, you are on the right tract. Since you don't want to do it right now. Just keep reading and watching the training area and read lots of articles.

That will give you an idea of which way you really want to go, and how much you will want to spend. RC has gotten easier to afford and electric makes park flying alo easier.

Check out the FAQ link above to learn the lingo, and hold on!
Mar 18, 2002, 03:01 AM

One newbie 2 another

Well rootbuddah, as a "newbie" myself, I can relate my experience. Got into this by witnessing a friend fly his GWS Tiger Moth out of his elevated driveway. I was instantly hooked, from his hand launch to shaky landing, what a great hobby!! Now I am the proud owner of my own Grandwing Servo Tiger Moth Parkflyer. Seems to be a pretty sound kit, took me two weeks to build (I have a family, 2 year old son, need I say more???) and have flown it until its first crash. The kit cost $55 at a local air show, my radio was another story. I opted for a Hitec (because they are a local company, out of Poway Ca.) Laser 4 radio, about $150.00 at the local hobby store. Then charger for batteries, $25, batteries, $12 each for 150mah six cells, and around $20 for the electronic speed control. I also swapped out (at the encouragement of the counter personnell at said hobby store) two of my stock servos for micro servos, about a $20 upgrade. I think that about covers it, maybe another misc. $40 bucks for epoxy glue, modeling knife, and any other incidentals. So, needless to say, hide the credit card reciepts from your signifgant other/parents, whoever, and stash some dough in the mattress. It is by no means cheap, but it is less expensive and much more rewarding than some other pursuits. Visit www.horizonhobbies.com, www.Todd'smodels.com, and www.hobby-lobby.com for some great kits and upgrades. Also, www.rczone.com is a great resource like this forum. And one more thing, join the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics). It costs $48.00 a year for adult membership, comes with a great magazine subscription, and gives you liability insurance coverage ($2.5 million) in case you impale someone with your prop. It also covers surface models if you ever get into cars. Hopefully this will help, from one "newbie" to another, good luck and happy flying.
Mar 18, 2002, 03:04 AM

AMA website

Sorry, forgot the AMA website, it is at www.modelaircraft.org. Good luck.
Mar 18, 2002, 12:17 PM
Be sure to investigate enough to you don't end up flying half a mile from a club field! In that case you might have or cause radio problems (more likely cause). A range check at each flying session can help prevent this.

Go ahead and get a GWS Tiger Moth, very nice handling. Nothing terribly wrong with the Pico Stick either, except a lack of dihedral. I don't know anything about the Pleaser. Get a radio with a dual conversion receiver and micro servos (preferably less than 10g or so). You might consider using a flight simulator on your computer; I've had students tell me they were helpful. There are a couple of free ones out there. crrcsim is one, I think there is a group on yahoo for them. You might want a joystick, tho. If you ever come to our club field up here in Masschusetts, you will feel right at home because CRRCsim includes the trees on one side of the field and the outhouse on the other. I haven't used it myself.

A soccer field, or even a LARGE basketball court, is enough room for a Tiger Moth, once you know what you're doing. You might want considerably more room at first in case you get confused for a while.

You might consider instruction for your first flights, then you will know if you want to continue from there by yourself.
Mar 18, 2002, 12:57 PM
One way to cut the initial cost is to buy a stand-alone transmitter and get the GWS Flight Pack. Most shops will sell a transmitter from a radio package at substantial savings. Since you're saving money, you can get a nice 4 channel that you can use on future projects. The GWS Flight Pack gets you the rest of the required electronics, except the charger and receiver crystal.
Mar 18, 2002, 01:47 PM
Thread OP
ok what is "dihedral"? Wing Shape?

Whats a stand alone transmitter? I guess I am not 100% on all the elctronics. I know there is a transmitter, a reciver, speed controller, and servos. Ok, I stepped away to look at another web site and I see what you mean about the Flight Pac's. I can get a transmitter and then when I order the Flight Pac I can specify the frequency of the receiver. Correct?

So the Tigermoth Slow Flyer is a good starter aircraft? Looks like a nice plane. I priced it out on http://www.horizonhobby.com/ looks like it will be about $360.00 to get into it... does that seem about right? I would like to make sure the radio is something that is good enough to be used on future projects.

Is the Pico Cub FD Slow Flyer a good plane?

Thanks guys for all your help. I am definately the type that likes to do his homework and become fairly knowlageable before I get into a hobby.
Mar 18, 2002, 02:12 PM
Been There! Done That!
You can do better on pricing: Transmitter at www.servocity.com they will sell you the Laser 4 Transmitter alone for about $50 if I remember right.. email or call them free shipping is included.
Check out: http://rcguy100.tripod.com/store.htm for the moth and flight pack. I would suggest you get the pack with the 300 NiMH battery included. Then you need a good charger. Do a search on here for chargers there are many options but do get one that will do NiMH batteries.
boomer
Mar 18, 2002, 02:19 PM
rootbuddha, when i started in electrics, initial cost was: hitec focus 3 with hs55 servos=$80.00 speed control from hobby people ic30 =$30.00 batteries 2 150mah packs=$26.00 lite stik=$24.99 (on sale at time) 1 charger from hobbypeople = $24.95 total=$185.90 for everything. tower hobbies usualy has the focus 4 for about $120.00, good radio, i have 3. also a hitec flash 4 is a good, basic computer radio for about $150.00 you might want to think about the flash if you plan to stay in this hobby, as it should handle about everything. look around at the diffrent sites for prices. also, check out this site for good basic info on getting started
http://www.gettingstartedinrc.com/planes/index.asp
Mar 18, 2002, 03:58 PM
as far as a charger, hobby people had a a/c d/c charger nicd or nimh for about $40.00, should do what you need, as you can charge at home or in the field. here is the charger; http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/130103.asp
Mar 18, 2002, 04:09 PM
Been There! Done That!
rootbuddha
I guess we forgot to answer your question regarding dihedral.
It is the amount the wing bends up from straight out or horizontal. If you lay the wing on a flat surface and blocked up each wing tip 1 inch then the wing would have 1 Inch dihedral.
With a rudder/elevator plane if you didn't have dihedral the plane would be difficult to turn.
boomer
Mar 18, 2002, 04:46 PM
These guys got it covered. About your question on the Pico Cub, pretty much the same as the Tigermoth. If you like it better, go for it. It might even be a tiny bit easier to build.

Two other sources you may want to check out:

www.officeshops.com
www.toddsmodels.com

BC
Mar 18, 2002, 05:13 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Again for all the help!

What are the benefits of getting a computer radio?
Mar 18, 2002, 05:26 PM
with a computer radio, especialy one with model memory, you can use one transmitter with all your planes, them being on the same freq. as the transmitter.you can save the settings, trims, weather the servos are reversed, ect. for one model, then program in the settings ect. for another. then,just select the model on the trans, and fly. another thing you can do when you get more advanced, is use the mixing functions, where you can mix the rudder with the aerilons for cordinated turns, or have the elevator mixed for up when lowering the throttle on landing for flare. there is an unlimited number of things you can do with a computer radio. mine is invaluable to me, but i still have a standard radio also.
Mar 18, 2002, 05:29 PM
A HiTec Flash 5 is a good reasonable computer radio. It has enough extra features to make it a better deal than the Flash 4.

The main advantage with a computer is having memory for extra models (5 in the F5). Then you get flight packs for your different planes, all with the rx crystal on the same channel (you will end up with more than one) and the transmitter keeps the settings for all the different planes. BUT... you do have to remember to change to the appropriate model. (you can guess how I know)

Other features such as exponential and dual rates as well as mixing for elevons and v-tail all will come in handy eventually.

BC

Quick Reply