Jun 15, 2019, 06:13 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Pike Prestige 2PK

Hi,
Does anyone have news about this machine?

Samba model Prestige 2PK. (3 min 24 sec)

Pguim
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2019, 07:55 PM
The original Prestige was a TD/F3J. This is an F5J plane. Was Phillip able to get the molds and/or wing templates out of Turkey, or is this an entirely new airplane? Looks a lot like the Dynamic, so I am guessing the the difference is in the airfoil.
Last edited by soarx4; Jun 15, 2019 at 08:02 PM.
Jun 15, 2019, 08:00 PM
AZ Outback
Jo who is currently in 4th place out of 100+ pilots at the Samba Cup will give you all the details shortly.
Jun 15, 2019, 08:17 PM
Jojo is flying one now. Years ago Phillip developed the Prestige. I assume this is a derivative of that design. Most notably the wing is 3 piece with different airfoils than the Perfect and Perfection.
Jun 17, 2019, 09:27 AM
Hi guys!

The Prestige returns in a different category!!
This time it is mainly for F5J and name is Prestige 2PK
I guess this one is not only for soarist team ;-)

What a wonderful piece of art!!
Bigger, faster, more beautiful than ever haha ;-)
It is NOT the same design but a good step forward both in aerodynamic and building tech

writeup first 3 days of flying:
http://www.f3j.com/sambacup/2019/index.htm

Jojo
Jun 17, 2019, 09:46 AM
Oh btw. The original Prestige F3J moulds are safe ;-)
Jun 17, 2019, 09:51 AM
any tech specs of the plane? ypu mentioned 86dm2 area, big more than Maxa. airfoil thickness, etc?
Jun 17, 2019, 10:43 AM
It will come shortly.. Flying was more important than webpage and releasing technical data. But it was overdue in time for release so some pilots fly it already. I think the design is settled with no more changes but it is not up to me to release technical data other than what is said openly on competitions etc. But it will all come very soon ;-)

A few things I can do is measure the end of midsection airfoil and that is 234mm wide and 17mm high. Wingspan is 390cm. Longest part is midsection 1680mm. Fuse can have separate rudder and nose cone (I have this and dont see the reason for gluing as it fits good). Nose cone is cut after mounting all gear so you get a proper CG and still can adjust CG with battery.
Fuse is small but still can accommodate huge battery for those that wants to fly all day long.

Samba have produced a decent number of models already and learned a lot on the new technique to get shiny surfaces and strong enough models as they are known for.
Even my models had some tiny small things they wanted to correct.

But dont be scared to put in an order. I dont think the price will be any extreme and in line with the market. And one can always put in an order and ask for price at the same time.... :-) I can assure you that this model is a step ahead! I would use a few grams of layup up from the lightest though. It makes no sense having so light glider that you have to watch who picks up your model just for taking care of skin dents.
Used up a 1600 and a 2100mah tx battery on my JR XG11 so I got many hours on that plane this weekend!!

They are trying to get models out to piloting friends around the world and WC pilots.

Attach a few more pictures here to keep the thread alive

Not working for Samba but good friends for many years and help them with their webpage.
Jojo
Last edited by jojoen; Jun 17, 2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Wingspan
Jun 17, 2019, 05:42 PM
Tragic case
Its interesting that there is a Samba alternative to the Dynamic
Jun 17, 2019, 05:49 PM
Tragic case
Also is this a rohacell or hollow mounded wing? Thanks for your write ups as ever Jo.
Jun 17, 2019, 11:14 PM
In F3J size does matter!
“A few things I can do is measure the end of midsection airfoil and that is 234mm wide and 17mm high. ”

That’s about 7.2% thick (depending on the accuracy of the measurement)
For reference, a stretched SynerJ is about 225mm-230mm wide and 7.6%-7.7% thick at that span position (give or take depending on how you stretch it).
The U2 is about 220 mm wide and 6.8% at that span position.

Waiting to hear some more details.
Thanks for the information Jojo
Jun 17, 2019, 11:56 PM
Rohacell core wing
Jun 19, 2019, 02:46 AM
A drop of information:
The wing span is 3900mm
Wing area is: 79.3sqdm
Elevator area is: 7,3sqdm
Aspect ratio 19.18
Total area is 86,6sqdm
That gives F5J FAI limit of 1040g but is designed (as most of Philip's designs) to fly with also heavy ballast so balanced handling and still L/D optimized over a wide speed range. A lot of work was put into the tail design for this.
Airfoils range from 7.4 to 6% thickness.
The calculated CG was 114mm and personally I did not find any differences between 111 and 114mm but I did only fly 3 days.. competition flights were done at 111,115mm and 120mm. I did try it on practice at 105 and at 120mm inconclusive testing though as it felt almost the same. I did feel it was tail heavy and slow in rd6 when it was calm and I put my smallest battery and tried 120mm/1200?g. Kind of never got to were I wanted and ended up flying in between all others. I am not used to planes this light and possibly was a bit surprised about the low flying speed.
Stall was almost impossible to test as it kind of just mushes thru.
I also did fly it on Monday after the competition to do some testing on different joiner, CG and camber settings. Learned a lot that will go into the setup instructions. Also got my hands on some heavier brass ballast for the fuse so I can fly it in any wind.

Jo
Jun 19, 2019, 02:41 PM
Genoma² Paris, Fr
What is the designed point profiles curvatures?
Jun 19, 2019, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.pujol
What is the designed point profiles curvatures?
The what? First of all I did not understand it and second I am not aerodynamic theoretic guy if that was the question.

Jo

Quick Reply