Jun 15, 2019, 05:52 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Thread OP
Discussion

3DLabPrint 73" Edge Printing Problems

I'm starting a new thread since I hijacked the one on the 64".
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2019, 10:56 PM
That's cool as this one has some unique features.
Jun 16, 2019, 08:24 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Thread OP
Guess what? I got new factory files this morning. Added top layers as Lynxman had suggested. I had already tried that plus supports. This eliminates the holes but still leaves surface defects. I could probably use the last one I printed as the defects don't show too bad when the cowl is mounted as the defects are on the bottom of the cooling tubes but the print didn't finish due to a jam. I've probably used half a roll of filament over this thing.
Here's what I don't understand. The first 5mm has two perimeters specified which results in an inner wall, an outer wall and infill between. No infill is specified. The rest of the print specifies one perimeter wall which results in an inner wall and an outer wall with no infill. When you specify top solid layers, there's infill between the inner wall and the outer wall which still has the defects. I've tried to look at it in Fusion and Meshmixer but my 3D cad skills are pretty limited. Guess I'll have Japim take a look at it and see if he can spot something.
Jun 16, 2019, 10:38 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Thread OP
Just for the heck of it, I sliced the factory files for the Sonka cowl_01. Found similar problems to the ARCH cowl plus it's almost twice as heavy.
Jun 16, 2019, 11:25 AM
Here is Sonka cowl....1st file. Starting the 2nd one now.
No holes except for cooling which are supposed to be there. Very happy with this cowl.
Jun 16, 2019, 11:33 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfaith1
Here is Sonka cowl....1st file. Starting the 2nd one now.
No holes except for cooling which are supposed to be there. Very happy with this cowl.
Did you make any changes to the factory files?
Jun 16, 2019, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed
Did you make any changes to the factory files?
Wing2 per....this is the process changed to add the brim. Wing1 per is unchanged. All other factory files are unaltered.
0 offset, 1 layer, 5 outlines.
.35 nozzle but with .4 nozzle settings.

Note....watch Rudder #2. The round hole at the end of the part does not want to stick to the bed. Change the brim settings to....0 offset, 2 layers, and 6 outlines. The brim was harder to remove, but the part did not move while printing.
Jun 16, 2019, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed
Just for the heck of it, I sliced the factory files for the Sonka cowl_01. Found similar problems to the ARCH cowl plus it's almost twice as heavy.
Its double walled and came out pretty light. Hope to weigh tomorrow and will let ya know.
Jun 16, 2019, 12:40 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Thread OP
Quote:
Its double walled and came out pretty light. Hope to weigh tomorrow and will let ya know.
The fact that you're using a .35 nozzle is interesting. Wonder if that makes the difference? I haven't printed the part but looked at the preview and weight in S3D.
Jun 16, 2019, 12:50 PM
You can print down to 0,25 mm extrusion width with a normal 0,4 mm nozzle in most good printers. You also need lower layer heights to have layer good adhesion.
Jun 30, 2019, 08:11 PM
Here is the cowl with the flaw. It printed on all 3 holes. I sent 3D Labprint a picture and hoping they can fix the problem. Otherwise a great printout of a plane.
Jul 01, 2019, 07:55 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Thread OP
Quote:
Here is the cowl with the flaw. It printed on all 3 holes. I sent 3D Labprint a picture and hoping they can fix the problem. Otherwise a great printout of a plane.
Don't expect any help.
Jul 01, 2019, 10:17 AM
I've been playing with this particular part to help out Bob.

It looks like it is absolutely fine - the inner and outer skins are in perfect distance all over around - including this zone. This area is ending up with a hole if the number of top/bottom layers is set to default 1-2. Slicer will place only 2 layers in bare air and this makes a hole due to insufficient support and need to make a sharp corner print. More over these 2 layers are not sufficient to properly build a solid/sealed bottom layer and solid/sealed top layer in this area.

To solve this issue in this particular part - print it with minimum 4 top layers and your problems will go away. The part weight increase due to this change is only 2 grams
Jul 01, 2019, 10:31 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by japim

It looks like it is absolutely fine - the inner and outer skins are in perfect distance all over around - including this zone. This area is ending up with a hole if the number of top/bottom layers is set to default 1-2. Slicer will place only 2 layers in bare air and this makes a hole due to insufficient support and need to make a sharp corner print. More over these 2 layers are not sufficient to properly build a solid/sealed bottom layer and solid/sealed top layer in this area.

To solve this issue in this particular part - print it with minimum 4 top layers and your problems will go away. The part weight increase due to this change is only 2 grams
True, 4 top layers will close the hole but there will still be a blemish in the outer skin.
Jul 01, 2019, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by japim

Number of Top Solid Layers in S3D is 0. Bottom Layers are 0. Perimeter Shells are 1.

So, no wonder there is a hole. Will try to print again by changing the Top Solid Layers to 2.

Thanks for the help Jampim.

Quick Reply