Jun 23, 2019, 12:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy
I received another email from Eric this morning. His attendance at SMALL 30 is looking very promising!
Thanks, Tony...……….I think.

(Hope this is one of the kits that I can actually make FLY...…)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2019, 12:40 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawf56
Thanks, Tony...……….I think.

(Hope this is one of the kits that I can actually make FLY...…)
You've got this!! Get-R-Done!!
Jun 23, 2019, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
Even though the build hasn't started, I have been doing a lot of thinking.

The model is designed for rudder/elevator control. However, I am leaning toward adding ailerons. I will have to see how much space is available in the wings for the servos. I don't think the elliptical shape of the Spitfire wing will lend itself to a central servo with control horns.

Will be using an .049 for power.

For covering, I am planning to use Parklite, or similar. I am needing Light Blue, Cream, and Brown. Was able to find Light Blue at Brodak [Sky Blue], and Tower Hobbies has Parklite in Brown and Cream.

For markings, I am planning to use Callie Graphics. They have a set of markings for a US North Africa Spitfire:

https://callie-graphics.com/collecti...buckeye-down-2
Jun 24, 2019, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
Went my local PostNet, and for $5 got a copy of the plans. This way, I don't cut up the original.
Jun 24, 2019, 07:58 PM
Thread OP
Also got in the Sky Blue covering and a pilot from Brodak.

The Sky Blue is a tad darker than I had hoped, but will do ok.
Jun 24, 2019, 09:21 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Slow and steady wins the race!
Jun 27, 2019, 12:39 AM
Long time ago I converted a 28" Guillows Spit. I used an old Postage Stamp Cox to make the wind.
Raced around the Goal posts at the local High School.

Lesson learned about ailerons on an elliptical wing ... keep them to the outside. The more you have to the Root they act as Flaps and makes an unstable ride.
I did mine single servo with push / pull cable set up. Also did the same thing with a Shinden.
Can't remember who I gave that to. Needed repairs. It spent a few weeks in a poison oak patch.
Jul 01, 2019, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaliwag
Long time ago I converted a 28" Guillows Spit. I used an old Postage Stamp Cox to make the wind.
Raced around the Goal posts at the local High School.

Lesson learned about ailerons on an elliptical wing ... keep them to the outside. The more you have to the Root they act as Flaps and makes an unstable ride.
I did mine single servo with push / pull cable set up. Also did the same thing with a Shinden.
Can't remember who I gave that to. Needed repairs. It spent a few weeks in a poison oak patch.
I wish I had seen the Shinden go. I've seen Midkiff's but his is rubber powered.
Jul 01, 2019, 10:08 PM
Thread OP
Ok, getting my build area set, and my parts sorted out. Wing in the upper box, and fuselage in the lower box.
Jul 01, 2019, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
All the wood is hand labeled. Just wonderful.
Jul 02, 2019, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawf56
All the wood is hand labeled. Just wonderful.
Does the lettering a have a British slant?
Jul 02, 2019, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan berry
Does the lettering a have a British slant?
It does seem to be on the LEFT hand side of the parts.
Jul 02, 2019, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
Starting on the lower spar. Interestingly enough, it has to be tapered.
Jul 02, 2019, 11:10 PM
Thread OP
Throwing on some ribs. Had to do a little sanding for fit.
Jul 04, 2019, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Upper spar.

Quick Reply