View Poll Results: Of you hobbyist drone pilots, who follows the law of the land and registered?
I do! 8 33.33%
Heck no, I’ll take my chances! 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Jun 14, 2019, 08:54 PM
Thread OP
Poll

FAA laws: who follows them?

I am curious of all the people out there who fly recreationally/hobbyist level albiet Fpv racing or for personal filming ventures, who follows the strict law of the land and registers?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2019, 11:44 PM
About as manny as follow the rules of the road. Most drivers dont understand right of way and who has it at any given point.
Jun 15, 2019, 01:02 AM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
about as many as follow the speed limit on a daily basis.
-being safe does not have to mean following every rule all the time.
-being legal doesn't always mean being safe.

show me 12 paid FAA RC fines per year, for the type of flying I do (all at or just above tree tops), and ill start to get a lil scared.

FAA should have a simple app that we can load on our phones and alert us to any manned aircraft approaching, and their altitude, so we can dive down to the deck (or just disarm and crash in extreme scenario for a MR).
simple, effective, practical.
could even charge a few bucks for the app to display warning over OSD for FPV guys/gals.
----------------------
BTW everyone PLEASE stop by this thread to vote for a separate sub-forum to discuss and research all things legal in the RC aircraft world. (fixed wing/multi's/drones/FPV)
We only need a lil more than a dozen more votes. just posting 'support' or 'yes' counts.
Thanks! Fly safe. Have Fun!

GoPro Awards: Heli to Plane Wing Grab (1 min 1 sec)

Aircraft Close Encounters with a Weather Balloon | Double Flyby (4 min 6 sec)
Last edited by xanuser; Jun 15, 2019 at 01:43 AM.
Jun 15, 2019, 09:32 AM
Thread OP
I follow the rules to an extent. I have my ham radio operators license. I registered myself through the faa.

I do not however label all my quads with my faa number. But it’s because I recently cycled through new quads. I’ll be labeling my quads with my number.

I did not register each and every quad. I’m stil not sure if we are supposed to? I don’t see why you can’t register yourself and get a number and label each quad with the same number. It still registers the vehicle back to you. Which is their purpose of being able to hold accountability in the event of any mishaps. I do not know for certain and I would hope not that you have to register each and every drone and get a different registration number. That would be just silly. But then again it is a way for the government to get more money from us people just trying to have a little good clean fun.

The laws are becoming ridiculous. I’m not out robbing banks, I pick up trash I see anytime I’m out. I don’t do drugs. I work, pay taxes. Raise my child and provide as a good husband. This hobby is a fun outlet for me. But man. The government has to sink their smelly greedy stinky fingers in everything. It’s gotta stop. Just leave us decent people alone.

Perhaps they can make a simple rule to follow that is easy to follow and obtainable. But they change the law every other day it seems. I am not an attorney and can’t easily understand the laws. So just keep it simple for us. They do not however, so it is likely they can catch us in a jam and charge us.

Sorry rant over!
Jun 16, 2019, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser

FAA should have a simple app that we can load on our phones and alert us to any manned aircraft approaching, and their altitude, so we can dive down to the deck (or just disarm and crash in extreme scenario for a MR).
simple, effective, practical.
could even charge a few bucks for the app to display warning over OSD for FPV guys/gals.
I do a an average of 5 commercial flights a week. I don't understand why helicopters are allowed to fly over cities at 200'. One day I was doing an aerial static shoot video of an intersection so the video could be analyzed and the cars could be counted to see how nearby construction was affecting traffic. During the shoot, a train passed by. This prevented my from hearing the incoming police helicopter, that was below my quad. I was hovering at 300' and he was incoming below me at about 200'. I moved aggressively to make room between us.

We really need full two way ADS-B. The helicopter needs to know where I am and I need to know where the helicopter is. I need to see this information on my DJI FPV display so in this case it needs to be included in the DJI app.
Jun 16, 2019, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
So what all does it take to be legal to fly these things commercially like you do to make money?

Obviously you need to register yourself through the FAA. Do you need to register the drone you are using? Do you need a ham license? If so do you need to broadcast your callsign on your video display? And do you need to have a radio on and broadcasting that you are flying? I have thought about trying to go commercial to make some side money.
Jun 16, 2019, 04:22 PM
Well in the USA there are no LAWS for hobbyists. They want you to think so. The faa has tricked a lot of people into registering.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...on.pdf?sfns=mo
Jun 16, 2019, 08:13 PM
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The above information is from 2017 and is very outdated/wrong to follow now as the current state of things.

Registration requirements are back, and a host of new laws (yes, laws) to follow were written in the FAA Reuthorization Bill that passed last year. Section 336 which afforded hobbyists protection was repealed.
Jun 16, 2019, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
The above information is from 2017 and is very outdated/wrong to follow now as the current state of things.

Registration requirements are back, and a host of new laws (yes, laws) to follow were written in the FAA Reuthorization Bill that passed last year. Section 336 which afforded hobbyists protection was repealed.
The date is irrelevant. The information is current and on the FAA website. If you knew law you would know the only thing recorded in The Federal Register is a “ruling”. Sorry it is not a law. Let me guess, you registered?
Jun 16, 2019, 09:13 PM
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
This information is also on the faa website, and is more current than the dated document you linked:
https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=91844

The may 19th ruling cited in those powerpoints didn't last long anyway, here is the bill that was also signed into law shortly after that held it over until the reauth act was passed:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/2810
https://www.hklaw.com/en/insights/pu...-national-defe

I've been registered since 2016, when the registration was free back then. If you don't register, you could get fined.
Jun 17, 2019, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
This information is also on the faa website, and is more current than the dated document you linked:
https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=91844

The may 19th ruling cited in those powerpoints didn't last long anyway, here is the bill that was also signed into law shortly after that held it over until the reauth act was passed:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/2810
https://www.hklaw.com/en/insights/pu...-national-defe

I've been registered since 2016, when the registration was free back then. If you don't register, you could get fined.
Can you post the recording in the register? Not a law. The thing I don’t understand is why people feel the need to spread lies? Just another government lie, that’s all this is. Why wouldn’t they make it clear? Why do they make it confusing? When and if it becomes law it will be clear. For now it’s just not a law. Let me ask you if it was a law do you think they would leave that page up?
Jun 19, 2019, 09:26 AM
FPV Addict
Who knows what the laws are today? We are in this hobby and we dont have a good grasp on it. Do you think your local law enforcement has a clue? I use the law of common sense. Dont bug people.
Jun 19, 2019, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vender0711
Can you post the recording in the register? Not a law. The thing I don’t understand is why people feel the need to spread lies? Just another government lie, that’s all this is. Why wouldn’t they make it clear? Why do they make it confusing? When and if it becomes law it will be clear. For now it’s just not a law. Let me ask you if it was a law do you think they would leave that page up?
who is spreading lies when you are ignoring facts in favor of an out of date document ? I'm sure there's a document somewhere that says Harry Truman is the President, that doesn't make it so.
Jun 19, 2019, 12:14 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
I just go with this guy...it's on the internet so it must be true. But I do note he never says law, he says rules or guidelines.

New FAA drone Rules for Hobbyists EXPLAINED - KEN HERON (14 min 11 sec)
Jun 20, 2019, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyatm
So what all does it take to be legal to fly these things commercially like you do to make money?

Obviously you need to register yourself through the FAA. Do you need to register the drone you are using? Do you need a ham license? If so do you need to broadcast your callsign on your video display? And do you need to have a radio on and broadcasting that you are flying? I have thought about trying to go commercial to make some side money.
The answer depends very much on where and when you are shooting. Flying completely legally limits where and how you can operate in many ways. It would take me hours to explain everything so I am just going to cover the basics here. First off Ham license and commercial operations are mutually exclusive. You can't operate equipment that requires a Ham license if you are doing anything for profit. All Ham operations must be not profit, hobby only. So if you are going to do commercial work and are trying to comply with all laws you need to use equipment that does not require ham licenses. This is why many commercial operators stick with DJI equipment. DJI aircraft use only legal channels and actually adjust the power output and channel usage according to what country you are flying in at the time based on GPS location.

So here in the USA you need a 107 or 333 license to fly commercially. These are both something that takes a fair amount of studying to get unless you are already a full size aircraft pilot. Full size pilots can usually pass the test with just a few hours of addition study. It cost $150 to take the test and the license is only good for 2 years.

Once you have the license you can fly commercial operations. In some airspace near large airports you must get additional clearance from LAANC prior to each flight. If you want to fly at night you will need an additional waiver, strobe lights and a you will need a trained visual observer to watch your night flights.

Quick Reply