Jun 14, 2019, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Vailly 1/4 Scale L-19 Plans

Anyone got a digital set of plans for these? The places that sell the kits don't sell them with plans and want you to pay an extra $50 on top of the already almost $500 kit. I think that is absolutely ridiculous. It probably costs them $4 in paper to print plans. The least they can do is include them with the kit when you're dropping that kind of money on it.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2019, 12:37 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
FYI- printed plans for a 1/4 scale model range around $23 -$28 for two sheets.. A mailing tube is around $5 and the postage is about $13. Those dealers are in business to show a profit, and if they don't show a profit, they end up like Tower Hobbies.

I'll sell you some paper for like $4, but it doesn't have anything on it. and it'll still cost the $18 for shipping..

Buy the plans...
Jun 15, 2019, 12:43 AM
Thread OP
I can print them for free at work. Why is it wrong that I wanna save myself $50? If they put the plans in the box with the kit then it costs them maybe $10 in paper. I know how much a roll of paper for a plotter costs and how many drawings they can get from a roll. Been printing on plotters for years.
Jun 15, 2019, 01:02 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
I just did some surfing, and I can't find anything on Ray's PT-19 anywhere.
I'll check with some flying buddies to see if anyone has a set to make a pdf.
He sold everything to young Nick, and I don't see them on his site neither...
Jun 15, 2019, 10:47 AM
earl

L-19 is a Cessna high wing. While the PT-19 is low wing two-holer from Fairchild. I know you know the difference, but just couldn't pass up an opportunity to razz you a bit!

Assocracer

I too like agood bargain when it comes to plans. But then I'm kind of in a strange place. While economy is most welcome I also produce 2-D tech drawings and can appreciate the reasons for copyright protection. So depending how I may feel at any given moment I may be your staunchest and frugal ally, or worst self- appointed copy-right monitor on RC Groups.

On this one, I'm with earl. You wanted a specific plan. I know that a particular plan or designer's works can" speak" to an individual modeler, fomenting a strong desire. You could have asked if anyone had it and then asked what it would take to get a copy. But bitching about how the mfg'er is obviously gouging you for his product, ain't exactly coming off as fellow modeler, in dire need. Nor as somebody I might like to help.

My advise would be to design your own model, based upon good/reliable scale drawings. Then you might better understand the value of the particular information you seek?

BTW-There is a group of fellow modelers trying to quantify, collate, and compile information about quality scale drwings here on rc groups. L-19 is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ssna-L-19-OE-1
Last edited by packardpursuit; Jun 15, 2019 at 10:55 AM.
Jun 15, 2019, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
earl

L-19 is a Cessna high wing. While the PT-19 is low wing two-holer from Fairchild. I know you know the difference, but just couldn't pass up an opportunity to razz you a bit!

Assocracer

I too like agood bargain when it comes to plans. But then I'm kind of in a strange place. While economy is most welcome I also produce 2-D tech drawings and can appreciate the reasons for copyright protection. So depending how I may feel at any given moment I may be your staunchest and frugal ally, or worst self- appointed copy-right monitor on RC Groups.

On this one, I'm with earl. You wanted a specific plan. I know that a particular plan or designer's works can" speak" to an individual modeler, fomenting a strong desire. You could have asked if anyone had it and then asked what it would take to get a copy. But bitching about how the mfg'er is obviously gouging you for his product, ain't exactly coming off as fellow modeler, in dire need. Nor as somebody I might like to help.

My advise would be to design your own model, based upon good/reliable scale drawings. Then you might better understand the value of the particular information you seek?

BTW-There is a group of fellow modelers trying to quantify, collate, and compile information about quality scale drwings here on rc groups. L-19 is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ssna-L-19-OE-1
Ziroli did NOT put the work into designing this plane. They donít even put the work in to cut the kits. They farm that out. When I buy a Top Flite or Hanger 9 kit, I donít have to pay extra for the plans that said kit is built from. If Iím gonna pay, then $10-$15 extra is reasonable, not $50. $50 is a servo or almost all the hardware needed for the kit. Iím not necessarily looking for a free ride. But I donít wanna pay $50 to someone who didnít put the work into designing the plane.
Jun 15, 2019, 02:32 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
In my defense, it was 1:37 AM..... a time I shouldn't be answering questions about a set of plans Ray didn't make.

Now in the brighter light of day, I have friends looking for the Phantom plans, as well.

I shall stand in the corner for a bit. sigh....
Jun 15, 2019, 02:34 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
I was going to suggest that Larry just add $50 to the Precision Cut Kit, and include the plans, but Larry ain't with us no mo '..
Jun 16, 2019, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assocracer
I can print them for free at work. Why is it wrong that I wanna save myself $50? If they put the plans in the box with the kit then it costs them maybe $10 in paper. I know how much a roll of paper for a plotter costs and how many drawings they can get from a roll. Been printing on plotters for years.
A suggestion... look at Outerzone, there is bound to be L-19 plans there that are suitable to provide the plane outlines. Hemkiller can retrieve the plan from Outerzone and print and enlarge it to the size you want.

You would have to build freestyle regarding the construction, but if you are up to that... then you trade your expertise in building for the savings in not purchasing a detailed set of commercial plans with all of the construction details.

Works for me... and at only half the price of a $50 set of plans.
Jun 17, 2019, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assocracer
Ziroli did NOT put the work into designing this plane. They donít even put the work in to cut the kits. They farm that out. When I buy a Top Flite or Hanger 9 kit, I donít have to pay extra for the plans that said kit is built from. If Iím gonna pay, then $10-$15 extra is reasonable, not $50. $50 is a servo or almost all the hardware needed for the kit. Iím not necessarily looking for a free ride. But I donít wanna pay $50 to someone who didnít put the work into designing the plane.
The difference when you buy a Top Flite or Hanger 9 kit, they are the designers/manufactures where when you buy a short kit, all they are doing is providing the wood with the cut parts. They do not own the plans and should not sell them. I do agree, $50 for a couple of sheets of paper is pretty stiff but look at the price of some school books............ You are paying for the information on the paper, not necessarily the paper itself.

John

Quick Reply