Jun 14, 2019, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Electric IMAC Planes

I flow in my first IMAC competition last weekend and now i'm hooked. I can see the big problem I am going to have is I can only fly electric planes. Its because of an issue at home donot ask. I had to fly a backup plane eflite beast 60E I did have a Pilot Edge 540 but crashed the week before. So my question is starting from scratch I am looking for a solid IMAC plane The edge 540 was 78Ē flying on 10S. I'm looking for ideas on a plane and motor esc set up and servos
Thanks for the help
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2019, 09:44 PM
glad your first contest was a success. the pilot edge is a good airplane, as are other choices from EF. you really can't make a bad choice. what is the status of your servos from the crashed edge? Or are you looking to step into a higher quality servo? EF has some electric only planes in the 90 in range, a little better suited for IMAC.
Last edited by koppterX; Jun 14, 2019 at 10:38 PM.
Jun 18, 2019, 12:58 PM
"I will return" Federico
Royalstar, welcome to IMAC!

The Extreme Flight Extra 330SC-E is a solid IMAC performer with the right electric setup. It took me to 1st place last year in Sportsman, and still is competitive this year in Intermediate.

You can see details about the plane here. Be sure to view the wiring schematic PDF at the bottom of the page. It has a list of all the components and how they are wired.
Jun 19, 2019, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
thanks I checked out everything and I am working on a build now extreme flight MXS 83" going to fly on 10S 4500mah using a Scorpion s11 5525 195kv motor any prop ideas
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:49 AM
SigurdY
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam).
Oct 07, 2019, 03:54 AM
Over here IMAC rounds are flown back-to-back which isn't a problem for a petrol plane.

I don't know what they've done (or would do) if an electric plane turned up? Maybe fly it first and last to give time for a battery change?
Oct 07, 2019, 08:03 AM
"I will return" Federico
An electric plane can complete two intermediate sequences without any problem. I'll be trying two Advanced sequences back to back with my next plane, an EF 104" Extra 300 V2.
Oct 14, 2019, 09:41 PM
Onward and Upward.
Is there a tutorial for this kind of set up? Thanks, it looks good.

Randy
Oct 15, 2019, 12:10 AM
"I will return" Federico
Do you mean a tutorial for giant scale electrics?

There are a ton of resources on setting up electric planes right here on RCGroups. Aeroplayin started a blog on the math behind electric power here. I wrote a short article in the IMAC newsletter (In the Box, vol. V, p. 18) on the process I went through in selecting the components for an electric 35% Extra (scroll down to the NC regional report). A good program like eCalc can guide you through the process.

Or you can buy a plane like the EF 95 Extra that lists all the electric power components recommended for that plane.
Last edited by rclad; Oct 15, 2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added direct link and page number for IMAC article.
Oct 17, 2019, 04:13 PM
Onward and Upward.
They have an IMAC competition, here at Bennett field, this weekend. I'll have to observe some of the "experts" and their opinions of gas vs. electric. I would be starting in basic but would electric fly the advanced, if not unlimited patterns, back to back?
Oct 17, 2019, 04:51 PM
"I will return" Federico
Greg Marsden took 2nd place in Advanced at the 2014 World Championship with an electric plane.
Oct 17, 2019, 06:53 PM
Onward and Upward.
Last edited by CatManDu; Oct 23, 2019 at 11:25 AM.
Oct 17, 2019, 07:14 PM
"I will return" Federico
S-3 Viking. It was at the tail end of the Cold War, so after training against Soviet subs the mission changed to tanker support and surveillance.
Oct 17, 2019, 10:02 PM
Onward and Upward.
Neat airplane, the S-3. I had a Hangar 9, 97 inch Sukhoi 31 with a DA-100 in it. It flew really nice but they don't make it any more. I suppose the Extra is the airplane of choice, still?
Very Interesting article on your "setup" on the IMAC website for the 104 inch airplane. Yes, I have read Aeroplayin's articles as well. Very deep.
Oct 17, 2019, 10:24 PM
"I will return" Federico
The Extra, Sukhoi and Yak are all excellent IMAC planes. My only experience is with the Extra though.
It is such a sweet, forgiving airplane when slow, and it goes where you point it.

Quick Reply