Jun 14, 2019, 10:22 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

IJN Takao Class Heavy Cruisers in 1/96 Scale

I have a great interest in IJN Warships . Cruisers are my main interest . I think the Takao Class were attractive Heavy Cruisers . There were four ships in the class .
Takao
Chokai
Maya
Atago
Aoshima makes these in 1/350 scale .
In 1939 two were modernized and had blisters added Maya had blisters added in 1943 .Chokai never had blisters .
I decided to make two plugs side by side , one with blisters and one without them .They are in 1/96 scale and will be for RC . Because the blisters were added there was a sharp edge and step were they were . When I cut out each bulkhead I cut a notch in them were the blister hit the hull at that point . I inlayed piano wire in the notches to define the blister . When I sand the plug I can go up against the wire and keep a sharp edge .
The picture of Maya is from a Gakken Book .
Last edited by Richard4267; Jun 15, 2019 at 06:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2019, 10:45 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Nice start. A friend wanted to start a new destroyer and thought I should build a new one also.
I told him No, I don't need a new destroyer. He said, " I'll double cut the frames. So Kagero class DDs

It will be fun to see your cruisers come together.

Jun 15, 2019, 06:14 AM
Thread OP

Takao

Nice work!
Jun 16, 2019, 08:12 PM
boat butcher
welcome to the forum .

Mark
Jun 16, 2019, 09:38 PM
"Take the Cannollis"
Looks good ! Tons of detailing ahead of you !
Jun 17, 2019, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Steve and Mark
Jun 18, 2019, 11:11 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Not to hijack the thread, but I too have great interest in IJN destroyers. I made a Minekaze /Hakaze out of foam in 1/35 scale. I originally only was going to use it as a target for my RC warbirds to drop bombs on, but now I want to build a water hull and float it. She is to nice to try and blow up. LOL I think it is too light being made out of foam, so the hull might need to be on the heavy side like a board. I don't have any experience with power systems, so I might need some help with that. It is stand off scale, but looks pretty good from 10 feet away. Minekaze Class as you probably already knew were obsolete by the beginning of the war, but I find their lines quite Japanese looking if you know what I mean. Looking forward to your build.
Latest blog entry: HK B-17 scale cockpit
Jun 19, 2019, 07:15 AM
Thread OP
Your comments are always welcome. Yes the Minekaze class were attractive ships.
Jun 22, 2019, 11:25 AM
Thread OP

IJN Takao Class Heave Cruisers

There is a 1/4 X 1/4 strip glued to the table . Each bulkhead is extended and a 1/4 notch cut on top at the center line . That keeps the plug straight . Each bulkhead is hot glued to the table . There are notches cut in each bulkhead for the keel . Notches cut on the sides are for stringers . The top stringer is the sheer line or deck line .
Jun 23, 2019, 11:44 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Your making a plug, ... Are you planning on building the fleet?

Jun 23, 2019, 10:53 PM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen
Not to hijack the thread, but I too have great interest in IJN destroyers. I made a Minekaze /Hakaze out of foam in 1/35 scale. I originally only was going to use it as a target for my RC warbirds to drop bombs on, but now I want to build a water hull and float it. She is to nice to try and blow up. LOL I think it is too light being made out of foam, so the hull might need to be on the heavy side like a board. I don't have any experience with power systems, so I might need some help with that. It is stand off scale, but looks pretty good from 10 feet away. Minekaze Class as you probably already knew were obsolete by the beginning of the war, but I find their lines quite Japanese looking if you know what I mean. Looking forward to your build.
That looks like Apollo XI field. I would love to watch you drop flour bombs on that ship! Very cool idea!
Jun 24, 2019, 02:55 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Come out to Apollo on July 20. I'll bring my Exploding building. It is even more fun. I want to convert my Hakaze Destroyer to RC so I took it off the target list.
Latest blog entry: HK B-17 scale cockpit
Jun 24, 2019, 11:54 PM
Grumpa Tom
Okay!
Jun 27, 2019, 05:59 AM
Thread OP
Hi Umi
Yes I have a interest in WWII Japanese warships . I have a Mogami hull available and the Myoko class is next .

Quick Reply