Jun 15, 2019, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
When I started playing in the hobby of Radio Controlled model aircraft there were very few of us. We had to build everything including the radios and most of the other hardware besides the aircraft. We were not required by law to know about full scale aircraft and air traffic in and around airports but we did know that because it was part of the interest of the hobby. Our aircraft had to be flown by us all the time it was in the air and they had to remain in our visual range because we didn’t have any other way to control them. RC models were not used for anything but recreation and we flew them in places where they would not interfere with anyone or anything. One of the places where I flew with a few others in those early days was two miles from the local regional airport. It wasn’t in the approach path but there were crop-duster planes operating out of there and sometimes when they took off with a full load the pilots would just get above the trees on the way to the fields. When we saw them coming we got our planes down low to let them pass.

Things are different now. First, it is not necessary for anyone to build anything. Second, no one has to know anything about how an airplane flies or what is required to pilot a full scale plane during takeoff and landing. Third, it isn’t absolutely necessary to even see the aircraft or for that matter to actually control its flight path with the sticks on the transmitter any longer. Fourth, the hobby of building and flying model aircraft has been hijacked by commercial interests once a few “photographers” discovered that one facet of flying devices could be used for something other than that of the hobbyist whose interest was in things that fly. Unfortunately an element immerged that had no regard for others and caused a fear of all the things that fly.

So here we are at a place that will require everyone who wants to fly Radio Controlled model aircraft to prove that they can do it without causing harm to anyone else.
Sure it might eliminate some of the people who don’t want to prove that they can do it safely. So maybe that’s what we need; for the hobby to go back to the hobbyist the way it was in the early days when only those who cared about model aviation flew model aircraft.

Yep
That sort of divide and conquer is exactly what those determined to take over the sub 400ft airspace intended to happen.
Never thought that I'd see the day when "hobbyist" pilots would support the regulators to regulate anything but traditional "build it and fly it" toys out of the skies.
Think back on the history you've just described. The have been huge numbers of technical innovations that have come as a result of RC flying and from RC fliers. And at every stage "traditionalists" have opposed them. And yet the rest of RC fllyers have just gone on innovating and flying and because things have become simpler, more people actually fly now.
You're right, fewer fly traditional planes. There are fewer people building balsa and doped tissue aircraft from scratch and powering them wit IC engines.
There's a lot of damned good reasons for that.
One of the reasons why traditional model plane flying is dropping away and losing adherents is that a lot of those flying them are resistant to change, have become critical of anything but their way of flying and don't acknowledge just how much things even in their narrow niche of RC flying have changed.
Look at the electronics being used. How many still fly with the Tx systems of even 20 years ago? How many still use the clutzy servos from 30 years ago?
And yet you are happy to cling to the belief that you are better fliers than those who have moved with the times and fly differently to you
And you now seem happy to help ban all but your type of flying from the skies

IF you want RC flying to still be around when your kids, grandkids and future generations of fliers then rather than protect YOUR narrow niche, start expanding your horizons. Start helping to ensure that the regulations don't stop people from flying whatever they choose to fly, help to educate people to both abide by the regulations and to fly safely.
You are actually the best people to do that, not the regulators.
But you can't do it if you are stuck in your self-applied ruts and determined to live in the past

We, the inheritors of the RC fliers of the past, owe it to them and to ourselves to maintain RC flying in all of its increasingly varied forms so that future generations can enjoy flying whether it be with planes quads helis or even drones or whatever the future brings. If we try to save just one segment of the hobby then we stand a very good chance of losing it all.

And breathes
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2019, 06:59 PM
FA34HM3YC7
Maybe I should throw this in here.

I love technology. And to be clear my engineering career was a result of my hobbies in my youth.

I have planes that are utilizing the latest technologies including one that will take off and land unassisted, has homing technology etc. I don’t have a problem with someone who goes to the LHS and buys a plane that will fly as soon as it comes out of the box. I do that often myself.

The problem I have is that there are those who don’t have any concern for the ramifications of the technology.
Last edited by Rhea; Jun 15, 2019 at 07:06 PM.
Jun 15, 2019, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
Maybe I should throw this in here.

I love technology. And to be clear my engineering career was a result of my hobbies in my youth.

I have planes that are utilizing the latest technologies including one that will take off and land unassisted, has homing technology etc. I donít have a problem with someone who goes to the LHS and buys a plane that will fly as soon as it comes out of the box. I do that often myself.

The problem I have is that there are those who donít have any concern for the ramifications of the technology.
The main problem is they have no common sense. They do it because they can and do not care. There is no cure for stupid and we all pay the price.

Quick Reply