Jun 13, 2019, 10:46 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Mibo 2.5 Swift

Full Disclosure a lot of this has been posted in the scale thread and is being reposted here and I'm the distributor
for Mibo in the USA. I am first and formost an enthusiast and I try to be as truthful as possible when making comparisons to competitor's products.

For the 25th anniversary Mibo announced the new Swift S1 with 2,5m wingspan.

The main futures:

-hollow molded (Carbon fuselage with 2,4 GHz friendly Kevlar front part, Wings and elevator full Carbon)
-square carbon wing joiner
-bottom hinged flaps and ailerons
-Ballast holes in the wing
-Pre-cut Canopy (must cut clear part)
-F3B wing spar
-Pre-installed Rudder

There are three versions:

-Standard (Single C160)
-Strong (Double C160)
-Strong Light (80 Spreadtow / 50 C-Biax )

Wing around 525g ... Spread tow option is lighter.

There is something special about flying a scale ship, it feels less like a toy in the air. You can put it in thermal climb out to the top of the lift band and scream down with tons of energy.

So given that I own both the X models FSSwift 3.2/ X models 2.5 FS. First Off the Swift 2.5 is the much better size than the 3.2 for closer in California slopes. It feels more maneuverable and rolls better. I'm sure in an alpine setting flying further out the 3.2 would shine. It is very difficult to launch the 3.2 vs 2.5 solo . While I have the 3.2 it rarely gets flown unless I go to Davenport. The Mibo 2.5 can fly anytime I go to Mussel Rock and the wind is 15mph and up. In 20mph in up I was doing rolling loops and flying it like I stole it. I have only a handful of flights on it so it's still new to me and more to tune.

With respect to the x models 2.5 HS/FS version which is closer to what the standard Mibo 2.5 swift. I paid about 950 shipped to Slovenia for the FS. I'm not sure what the price is for the HS/FS but I paid directly from X-m The wing is noticeably lighter and stiffer. For example the built wings including joiners are 500 grams lighter. I'm selling the standard carbon Mibo Swift for 1095. The spreadtow version which is lighter is $200 more. The biggest differences are better overall quality, and considerably lighter than the FS X models. It has a rectangular F3F style rectangular joiner vs the steel joiner on X. The wings and joiner have room for ballast. Which I think will take you about 4kg on brass. The Mibo Swift has bottom hinged so it's much easier to land, vs top hinged X models.

Once in the air they both fly well but the Mibo is much easier to land and given how much lighter it is it is a far more versatile plane to fly. I have flown it in 12-15 mph and still extract some performance out of it... climbing and diving using thermal. The wings and the joiner have room for ballast.

There's plenty of room for a ballast tube or two in the fuse. I have flown the Xmodels at 5kg and it had amazing energy but landed like a brick. The joiner bent on perfect landings in lower wind conditions. I will need to explore the bigger wind conditions, and see about adding a ballast tube if necessary, but it's easier to add weight than take it away.
Last edited by funkyfreestyler; Jun 15, 2019 at 12:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2019, 10:47 PM
Thread OP
Some videos:
Mibo Swift S1 - On Mangart / Alpine slope soaring (3 min 17 sec)

Mibo Swift S1 '2.5m' Maiden Flight (2 min 51 sec)

New Mibo Swift S1 EDF testing 30.9.2018 (3 min 18 sec)

New Mibo Swift S1 on Strmca 26.10.2018 (1 min 34 sec)

'New' Mibo Swift S1 on Strmca / Heavy conditions 18-25m/s (2 min 38 sec)
Last edited by funkyfreestyler; Jul 05, 2019 at 01:39 AM.
Jun 13, 2019, 10:54 PM
Thread OP
I have not posted them up on the website but I have 4 gliders available, red spread tow, yellow, orange, and white in standard carbon.
Jun 15, 2019, 09:46 AM
Gliders ain't drones!
Nice looking plane!

What's the powdery stuff being brushed in the hinge line?

-= Dave
Jun 15, 2019, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
He's doing a tesa tape, with microballoons wiper on the elevator.
Jun 15, 2019, 10:51 AM
Thread OP
This is the rudder post installed from factory. A pin is included and you just fit rudder into place and put in pin from top. Nice!
Last edited by funkyfreestyler; Jun 15, 2019 at 11:00 AM.
Jun 15, 2019, 05:05 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfreestyler
He's doing a tesa tape, with microballoons wiper on the elevator.
I've never seen wipers made that way. So the microballoons are stuck to the tape, and then epoxy applied after -- instead of using already mixed sploog on the tape?

-= Dave
Jun 15, 2019, 07:02 PM
Thread OP
Yeah he is not doing splooge wiper, he might be reinforcing area where elevator horn goes, and to seal tape in. I will ask him about this technique.
Jun 17, 2019, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
So the whole microballoons is just dusting the inside of the clear sticky part of the tesa tape wiper. I just made a wiper from Kapton Tape but taped them together and and left a small part exposed to stick.
Jun 17, 2019, 07:00 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfreestyler
So the whole microballoons is just dusting the inside of the clear sticky part of the tesa tape wiper. I just made a wiper from Kapton Tape but taped them together and and left a small part exposed to stick.
Thanks!

Great looking planes, in any color!

-= Dave

Quick Reply