This thread is privately moderated by FR4-Pilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 13, 2019, 05:26 PM
Rest In Peace SweetHeart
Thread OP
Discussion

BetaFPV Beta85 Pro 2

11-27-20 DSMX version on the way
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Dec 28, 2020 at 07:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2020, 10:44 PM
Rest In Peace SweetHeart
Thread OP
The quad arrived two days earlier than scheduled

This one must be a version 2 or something - it's got BetaFlight 4.1.0 installed (not the pre-BetaFlight 4.0.0), so my current configurator works with it

The camera and VTx are mounted inside the canopy. There is a plug to disconnect it from the main flight controller board. The canopy isn't thin shiny blue, rather a duller, darker blue and thicker.

The extra camera mount was still included, but I don't see how using it possible since it's designed for the original design where the camera and VTx were not mounted in the canopy.

The props are darker blue and a bit transparent.

I added clear tape (Scotch ?) around the motor wires so they stay inside the frame supports.

Will get it setup this weekend ...
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Dec 02, 2020 at 10:58 PM.
Dec 05, 2020, 10:43 PM
Rest In Peace SweetHeart
Thread OP
Maiden flights.

This thing is powerful! I had to change to rate profile #2 (a little less aggressive) and enable a throttle limit of 50% - then I could fly it in the house. Outside I went back to rate profile #1 (as it comes stock). So far it's great !!

It bound right up typing the appropriate command into the CLI in Betaflight (no bind button for the DSMX Rx). Enabled low VTx power on disarm, moved the ARM/DisARM switch on the Tx, and setup the OSD how I like it.

Beta85 Pro2 Maiden Flights (5 min 46 sec)
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Dec 06, 2020 at 12:23 PM.
Dec 06, 2020, 09:46 PM
Rest In Peace SweetHeart
Thread OP
Well CRAP!

Went to fly the Beta85 today and she wouldn't power up. Tried different batteries, nope. Plugged the quad into the computer's USB port - got a message from Windows saying the device is causing a power surge. Windows then disabled the port until the computer was power cycled !!!
Started investigating ... found out that if I unplugged the VTx the quad powers up and flies perfectly, minus the FPV video that is.

This is odd - the last flight ended perfectly - see video above. That was flight #9, yesterday. The quad sat all night waiting to fly today. Flight #10 was no-go

No visible damage, nothing looks or smells burnt, all components appear to be soldered to the PCBs, etc.

Submitted a support ticket to Race Day Quads ... Replacement on the way And, a 1200TVL cam too !
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Dec 11, 2020 at 08:03 PM.
Dec 12, 2020, 09:26 PM
Rest In Peace SweetHeart
Thread OP
Replacement arrived today - again, 2 days early
Switched to the orange canopy and red Emax props.
Waiting for the 1200TVL camera to get here - I don't like the stock camera. It only seems good in bright light and goes blurry with anything less
12 flights so far inside, maybe outside tomorrow if it's not raining/sleeting.
I straightened out the motor wires - they were pretty gnarly.
Dec 13, 2020, 05:22 PM
Rest In Peace SweetHeart
Thread OP
Well, #2 died. Just like the first.
Flew about 12 flights inside last night at 25mW. Then today took it outside and flew two great flights at 200mW.

Beta85Pro F25 (4 min 8 sec)

Beta85Pro F26 (4 min 22 sec)

Went to fly a third, and nope - dead. Plug a lipo in and nothing. Plugging it into USB and running BetaFlight shows everything appearing to be in working order - the Rx works, the channel bars respond to transmitter sticks, video and OSD are working, arm/disarm, flight mode switches working, etc. But when a lipo is plugged in, nothing. I bet the on board power supply (BEC) has failed.

Going to contact RQD again ... I don't think I want another one this time
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Dec 14, 2020 at 09:05 PM.
Dec 16, 2020, 09:27 PM
Rest In Peace SweetHeart
Thread OP
Returned to RDQ for store credit. A Mobula 6 is on the way instead. Fingers crossed ...
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Dec 17, 2020 at 11:47 PM.

Quick Reply