Feb 09, 2005, 09:17 PM
Thread OP

another Micro IFO build

After spotting several sub-Mini-IFOs already built in various threads around here I've decided to start one too.

I own the Mini version and have enjoyed it (almost too much, busted the TE rod the other day on tuck-in dive crash). Now that my CF rod order is here it's time to fix her up and add a smaller sized version.

First, thanks to those all of you who have shared and given me some good hints and ideas - and to WildRc.com

Refs - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ight=Micro+IFO
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Micro+Mini+IFO

There's lots more - can do search subject "Micro IFO Mini" ...

I started looking at about a 50% reduced size from the Mini-IFO, but now am thinking more like 65-67%:
Approximate sizes I want to use for CF Rods -
Trailing Edge (overall wingspan) = 17" 0.060
Main Wing (longest curved rod) = 28" 0.060
Leading Edge (behind motor/prop) = 10" 0.060
Fuse (mounting spar) = 8" 0.05 (2pc ladder as was suggested for mounting)
Elevons = (2pc) 10" 0.05
Tail = 18" 0.05
Landing Gear = 6" 0.05

Stock-CDRom motor GWS HD prop 5x4 or similar
CC-PHX-10
2S LiPo (lighter probably better E-Tec 250, but have 450 & 730)
Blue Arrow R3P4-J, 2xBlue Arrow BA-TS-4.3

Anyone who's built one please chime in with specs, esp. power system and all up weight etc. I am worried that the CD-R will make things a bit heavy.
Thnx!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2005, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
Oh well it seems there's little interest, but will post what we've done so far anyways.

Got them framed up, plan is to keep em nice & light, substituted 0.040 CF rod on elevons and tail... Cliff is building one similiar size a little broader and mine has a bit more chord.

1st photo is Cliff's MicroIFO, 2nd w/tail taped on for reference is mine, 3rd yours truly looking like Quasimoto CA zapping the glue on the frame (at Cliff's workshop) ...

We piled up the components on a scale and wadded up some ripstock of approximate size needed to cover it - AUW guesstimate is around 60g,
should fly OK on little baby LPS.
Feb 18, 2005, 03:31 PM
Been There! Done That!
Rich,
Specs on mine are:
Main Wing = 34"
TE 13"
Fuse = 10-1/2"
LE = 11"
Elevons = 9"
Tail = 18-1/4"
LG Bow = 15-1/4"
Power 17T LensRC CDR motor on 2S1P 640 Lipos
boomer
Feb 20, 2005, 10:14 PM
Thread OP

more progress

With work getting crazy spilling over into the weekend (and Monday) and lots of other things of course going... it's taking longer than I want -

Photo #1: next to my Mini IFO for reference
Photo #2: covered and nearly done
Photo #3: closer image of frame

Hope to have it done soon...
Feb 20, 2005, 10:26 PM
Been There! Done That!
Hey I want to hear how it flys!!!! (Nice to be retired so none of that unimportant stuff gets in the way of building and flying!)
boomer
Feb 20, 2005, 10:38 PM
Thread OP
Boomer,

Sure hope to get it ready and maiden within the next day or so.
Cliff's is not as far along as me, but he'll be catching up as he has tomorrow off (I hope he's building at least!) Will have to get Cliff to film it.

--Rich
Feb 20, 2005, 10:42 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw286
Boomer,

Sure hope to get it ready and maiden within the next day or so.
Cliff's is not as far along as me, but he'll be catching up as he has tomorrow off (I hope he's building at least!) Will have to get Cliff to film it.

--Rich
Cool!
boomer
Feb 20, 2005, 10:59 PM
Thread OP
Boomer,

If you still have the video of the MicroIFO around, would you mind emailing it?
Have been asked if I saved a copy, but I only managed to save off your MiniIFO wmv...
BTW - I have harder time with tuck-in recovery on powered dives/descents and also avoiding "roll off" when going verticle. Will need to weigh that purple/white one on the scale, re-check my C.G. and am thinking about installing a tuck-rod in it.

thanks
Rich
Feb 20, 2005, 11:05 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Boomer,

If you still have the video of the MicroIFO around, would you mind emailing it?
Have been asked if I saved a copy, but I only managed to save off your MiniIFO wmv...
BTW - I have harder time with tuck-in recovery on powered dives/descents and also avoiding "roll off" when going verticle. Will need to weigh that purple/white one on the scale, re-check my C.G. and am thinking about installing a tuck-rod in it.

thanks
Rich
Rich,
Problem is the WMF file is about 17meg and most email accounts won't allow it? I can stick it back on the site if you want as there are no files there as of now. Let me know.
boomer
Feb 20, 2005, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
Good point, think my email attachement cache is limited to 4Megs or something like that.

Re-load to site? That would work. You can always remove it once I have grabbed it

Now that you mention it, I need to research putting vids in e-zone gallery or some alternate web site if I plan to post our Micro IFO vids this week.
I have my DiddleBug maiden, maybe I can upload and test that somehow.

Thanks
Rich
Feb 20, 2005, 11:31 PM
Been There! Done That!
OK Rich it's back on the site. Let me know after you have downloaded it and checked it out! Notice my last ROG. I was trying to see if it had enough control to ROG, immediatly go inverted and finish with a outside loop. Boy things sure happened faster than with my Mini!
www.boomerseflight.com
boomer
Feb 20, 2005, 11:34 PM
Been There! Done That!
I put up the wrong file! I'll upload the right one now!
boomer
Feb 20, 2005, 11:37 PM
Thread OP
Boomer,

Yeah, I grabbed it already and noticed it was the Mini.

Please ignore my email, I already re-checked and grabbed the Micro Video soon after emailing.

**all downloaded**

Thanks alot!
Rich
Last edited by richw286; Feb 20, 2005 at 11:42 PM.
Feb 20, 2005, 11:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Notice my last ROG. I was trying to see if it had enough control to ROG, immediatly go inverted and finish with a outside loop. Boy things sure happened faster than with my Mini!
www.boomerseflight.com
boomer
Boy, it flipped over so fast I had to replay it!
I've done something similar with the Mini, but was not that quick to flip! was using older radio w/o expo, makes for some crazy take offs!
Feb 21, 2005, 12:16 AM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Boy, it flipped over so fast I had to replay it!
I've done something similar with the Mini, but was not that quick to flip! was using older radio w/o expo, makes for some crazy take offs!
That little Jewel was so fast on the almost 90 degree throws I had setup I had to use 70% Expo to tame it! Another E-Zoner offered me $280 for it after the vid so it went bye bye. Said he was going to fly it indoors and that was the last I heard.
boomer

Quick Reply