Aug 07, 2019, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
I should have mentioned that the Frog is slang for the Vacuum Valve. I'll post some detailed pics of it tomorrow...

Pics as promised
Last edited by centaur1126; Aug 08, 2019 at 02:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2019, 02:18 PM
Thread OP
The laminating turned out perfectly.

The pigment in the hardener exceeded my expectations. We mixed a Dixie Cup of Cabosil in with 8 ounces of the epoxy and hardener. This seems to have made all the difference in keeping the pigment suspended evenly throughout the epoxy.

After 4 hours we hot coated the hull again. Tomorrow we’ll trim it up and after a couple days, I’ll sand lightly and apply the finish coat of epoxy with the black pigment. NO PAINT! Yeahhhhh
Aug 10, 2019, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
I was able to get three hot coats on yesterday, all of them with Cabosil (aka fumed silica). Today I’ll let it sit out in the sun for a few hours and then give it a heavy sanding. After that, two coats of epoxy without Cabosil.

A word off caution about Cabosil; be upwind from it when mixing and use a mask. It has neither a positive or negative charge so it tends to float wherever it wants.
Aug 10, 2019, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Sanded with 80 and then 150. I did put about 50% Cabosil of what I previously had used. I hoped to get another hot coat on today but it’s looking like rain again. I’ll do one early tomorrow morning, then I’ll let it sit for a couple days, sand with 220 and then do the finish coat.
Aug 16, 2019, 03:52 PM
Thread OP
We’ve had torrential downpours every day here so I haven’t been able to finish coat the bottom. I did get started on the Pilothouse though. It was pretty flimsy so I added some molding to stiffen it up, the other pic is the helm I’ve started gluing up.

I did go for a float test early this morning. I was concerned with all the weight from epoxy in the bow. Those fears were unfounded...

I only brought 15 pounds of ballast with me; the drives weigh 5 pounds, the battery will be about 5 pounds and I figured the other accessories, speakers, sound modules, ESC’s etc. would be approximately five pounds. The boat will probably weigh about 50 pounds when completed. I’ll have to add ballast once it’s launched, which is what I was hoping for. The thing floats like a cork...
Aug 31, 2019, 09:08 AM
Thread OP
Trying to get a finish coat on this hull has been a challenge...fish eyes and two mosquitoes destroyed the last attempt.

Pictured is an additive to prevent fisheyes. I added 3-4 drops in 1 oz, the mixing ratio is 1 ounce per gallon of mixed product. This solved the fisheyes...as to the mosquitoes

In the mean time I’ve been working on the house and the helm, which isn’t finished
Aug 31, 2019, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Since nothing on this boat will be water cooled, I need good air circulation. I’ll also be installing two 4” fans in the bilge. I expect these vents will also help with the sound modules, of which each engine will have its own.

I thought about keel cooling, but that would be a difficult task to pull off. Keel cooling is a closed system requiring a pump for circulation and an expansion tank...enough is enough

Quick Reply