Jun 13, 2019, 02:18 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

1/6 Scale “Truckable” Towboat “Parody V”

Greetings,

I’m in the process of building Barracuda RCBoats (Alex Sheen) Truckable Towboat(see photo w/Alex). The intention for this boat is to be a tender for my Brig USS Integrity(see photo). I’ll also start a thread for the Brig when I get “a little further down the road” with some custom details. I also have some pics of the real boat that I delivered pushing a 150’ Spud Barge.(they’re not on my iPad, I’ll post later)

As is always the case with Alex’s products all of the pieces go together effortlessly. To date I haven’t had to raise a piece of sandpaper...I will before fiberglassing, but I’m not there yet.

I have a tendency to “overbuild” after 38 years running towboats and other assorted commercial vessels. So, it takes me awhile to glue,clamp, watch dry, REPEAT...

Titebond III is being used for the assembly of all wood parts. I will also be incorporating some customization to the basic build to better suit my particular needs.

Probably one of the more significant changes will be in propulsion; the real boats are dreadfully underpowered. I’ll be using two fully functional Z Drives with 4” wheels(they are being manufactured right now). Victor at OceanWorks has been brilliant to work with...I have seen and held his 60 mm Z Drive. The quality is TRULY exceptional.

Links:

https://barracudarcboats.mysimplesto...kable-push-tug

https://www.oceanworkscale.com/
Last edited by centaur1126; Jun 14, 2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: links
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2019, 03:36 PM
Thread OP

"BOA" Truckable Towboat

Here's a few pics of one of the boats and barge I delivered...these boats measure 25' 11". As long as they are below 26' the vessel does not have to comply with Sub-chapter M of the CFR's (Code of Federal Regulations). In short, they are known as "Uninspected Vessels"
Jun 13, 2019, 10:54 PM
boat butcher

Mark
Jun 15, 2019, 03:47 PM
Thread OP
Made a big mistake. In the photo the forward bulkhead is upside down, I hate it when I do that

After the repair I put three oak blocks to support the top section, two will be under the knees and the in the middle is for the bitt.
Jun 16, 2019, 07:36 AM
Thread OP
Hmmm, most likely true...
Jun 16, 2019, 03:56 PM
Thread OP
The accordion corners have small gaps, so I taped them off and then poured medium-cure epoxy, lightly thinned...swished it around for a bit and now I’ll wait until tomorrow afternoon to pull the tape. Then, it’s onto gluing the bottom on and filling the bow and stern compartments with foam...
Jun 22, 2019, 04:38 PM
Looking great! That's a huge hull. Can't wait to see how you outfit it with the drives.
Jun 29, 2019, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
About the two part filler-like epoxy, it’s very thick and takes at least 12-24 hours to cure, depending on depth. It sands very well; tougher than Bondo to sand but it’s stronger.

I’ll be using 3M’s 5200 to affix the bottom skin to the turn of the bilge. 5200 has been around for at least 30+ years. It is a premium marine adhesive and sealant. One of the many common uses is as a bedding for speed blocks/transducers, struts, thru-hull fittings and anywhere else you need STRONG adhesive and sealing properties. Paint and/or epoxy has no negative effects. There is nothing else on the market that can begin to compare with it. I keep a small tube in the refrigerator (been there a couple years) because I use it somewhat regularly. It can be stored in the freezer for longer storage times.

I’m a train wreck with caulking, I get it everywhere...if you’re quick about it, the excess can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol. In the picture is a can of 3M Adhesive Remover...great stuff. I’ll be keeping it handy to clean up inside the boat after the hull skin is caulked and clamped.

Off to test out the pigmented Finish-Cure Epoxy by Bob Smith...

Cheers
Jun 29, 2019, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur1126
Here's a few pics of one of the boats and barge I delivered...these boats measure 25' 11". As long as they are below 26' the vessel does not have to comply with Sub-chapter M of the CFR's (Code of Federal Regulations). In short, they are known as "Uninspected Vessels"
If you have a chance can you post a few photos of this hull? It looks very similar to the one I based my model "Buster2" off of.
Jun 30, 2019, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN SCALE BOAT
If you have a chance can you post a few photos of this hull? It looks very similar to the one I based my model "Buster2" off of.
Which hull are you referring to? The one I’m building or the real boat pictured in the second post?
Jul 01, 2019, 01:25 PM
Thread OP
The white pigment turned out quite well in the test area. I started with 13 oz Bob Smith Finish-Cure, removed half an ounce from each bottle and the replaced it with half an ounce of pigment in each bottle. I had to try and be precise in my measurements because I’m going to need more Finish-Cure to complete the bilge spaces. Pretty much all epoxies will yellow; it remains to be seen how bad it might or might not yellow...

In the Sun it looks really good. It’s a deep white with the high gloss that Finish-Cure has.

I’m almost ready to put the bottom on after the foam is epoxied in. I’m taking the time to cut these foam pieces for flotation and soundproofing. I suspect the Z Drives will be noisy...
Jul 01, 2019, 08:50 PM
This one

Quick Reply