Jun 13, 2019, 12:46 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

DH C 24 new proyect

Hello friends .
Here I am again to present my latest autogyro rc model. The father of a friend of mine drew a C24 years ago as a possible commission of the Spanish Air Museum. Finally they did not decide and his son sent the drawings made by Mr Jose Luis Abellan. I have based on these drawings to build a model of this autogyro that I like a lot.
The model have 90 cm of fuselage length, the rotor blades have a wingspan of 65 cm and the takeoff weight is 2,065 kg.
Saito FA 40a engine, roll control with ailerons, picth and tail direction like the real one. The model has not yet been tested in flight, I only made the last week at the anual autogyros meeting in Murcia ,Spain , few tests of taxing and a first jump. I have to modify the travel points in roll and picth.
I will continue to give you more information about this model with flight videos as soon as you perform the tests. Thank you
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2019, 12:51 PM
Thread OP
more pics
Jun 13, 2019, 07:32 PM
That is one fine looking build. That plan is the one thing that I could never find for my project.
I wish you well with your testing.
Chris...
Jun 14, 2019, 01:26 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, Cris. The plans are very well drawn for the documentation that there was in those years, only some photos appeared in magazines. The wing was the one of the C19 of which we have a real one in the Spanish Air Museum. I bought the De Havilland Push Moth plans but they had nothing in common. Mr Cierva highly modified the fuselage for the C 24 and they did not help. As you say in your video, the fuselage is triangular from the bottom to the rotor. In this the plans are fine.
Jun 14, 2019, 04:30 AM
That is a very fine build. I can see shapes in your build that I could never work out with the information that I had. That is a work of art and I wish you success .I will be watching with great interest for you flight videos.
That video you mention that I made was originally a personal one to Dave Surace explaining to him how I was doing with my construction as he had also shown interest to draw up a plan and only later did I make it public.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Jun 14, 2019, 06:00 AM
Thread OP
more pics
Jun 14, 2019, 07:52 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, Cris.
I would be interested in knowing the controls on your C24. Did you have direct control on the rotor head for roll and picth?
Jun 14, 2019, 08:30 AM
Thread OP
Last Murcia autogyros meeting 2019
Jun 14, 2019, 08:31 AM
Thread OP
My two models
Last edited by sherpa; Jun 17, 2019 at 11:45 AM.
Jun 14, 2019, 09:13 AM
Thread OP
a few rotor head pics
Jun 14, 2019, 07:59 PM
You have very good construction skills and it puts my humble wood work to shame .I think that the colour and your details are excellent.
Yes... I did have full DC on the head and treated the model as a normal autogyro BUT had considered a fixed head with aileron and elevator.
But I am now using a fixed head with ailerons /elevator and differential thrust on another project at the moment.
Looking at your plan I can see some of the shapes that I could only guess.
My model did fly successfully but I moved onto other projects.I will add a couple of pic s of my construction so you will see the way that I went about it.
Happy Landings.
Chris...
Jun 15, 2019, 01:20 AM
Keep it simple
Sherpa,

Your C24 looks superb. Look forward to seeing it in the air.

I also wish to build one, I have gathered a lot of information but, like Chris, was never able to find a plan of the C24 like yours.

Is this plan available anywhere?

Al
Jun 15, 2019, 03:17 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Cris, you are very kind.
The model has already made its first jump. At the end of the meeting. In the afternoon. I started with my first taxiways. I had to move back a lot the main landing gear because the model had a tendency to lift the nose, like the real one. I had two options, add weight in the nose, move back the rotor or move back the main landing gear. I decided this last one. A friend threw the rotor by hand and began to run down the runway, suddenly the model took off. I cut the engine and it landed smoothly. I have to make some blades with more wingspan and a little more weight. A rotor of 135/140 cms in diameter and a weight per blade of approximately 45 grms will make it more stable. Cris, do you remember your weight and size blades are ? Thank you
Jun 15, 2019, 03:22 AM
Thread OP
Alfoot thank you for your post.
I will ask my friend if he has any inconvenience in hanging the drawings. If he accepts, I hang them because I have them scanned in PDF

Quick Reply