This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 12, 2019, 10:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Knives - Aint Knives !

Hmmm , I have amassed a decent pocket knife collection over quite a few decades .
And the one thing and possibly the only thing that really impresses the heck out of me is blade steel ( How good it is - or not )

We had a pile of cardboard , and it was time to carve it up into small pieces that would not overly fill the rubbish bin .
This was a job for - no not superman ! , but rather a decent pocket knife .
All the boxes were about the same size ( hobby king )

1) Spyderco ? This one came from China .. It was the sharpest tool in the shed , and also the fastest tool to lose it's edge . ( Hey that rhymed ) Unfortunately I would rate it about half a box . It started out so well , but very quickly just lost that edge .
2) Ontario Rat ? Again from China .. Shaving sharp to begin with but started tearing about half a box in . I would rate it one box .
3) Enlan EL-08 , shaving sharp to start , another one box knife .
4) Y-Start D2 , from China . Shaving sharp to start . Carved up the first box like a hot knife thru butter . On that second box it started to lose the edge . I would rate this knife 2 boxes .
5) Enlan EL-06 , China . Not as sharp or easy to sharpen as the other knives . Again went thru the first box easily but lost its edge on the 2nd box . I would rate this knife 2 boxes .
6) Remington R3 ( ?? ) Not a genuine R3 , I don't know where this was made , but sourced from a USA seller over 10 years ago . If it is Remington then it's one of the budget Remingtons . ( Could be a Chinese Made R3 ? ) Anyhow ...
It just kept on cutting .. After 2 boxes it could still ( just ) take hair off my arm .

Seriously ! A budget , unknown origin R3 beats out a bunch of more modern knives , some of which claim decent steel .
The shame off it .
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply