Jun 19, 2019, 06:34 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave
Floaty and no crashy is its own fun factor.
Yeah I know you like the relaxing flights. I don't 3d, that's too much thumb work for me, but I do like to get a little acrobatic.
And crashing really doesn't bother me too much, that's one reason why I do these fairly easy builds that just takes a couple days to do, it doesn't make me cry if I lose it by dumb thumbing it. I may strip the gear in a $5 servo, but other than that I just lose a couple of dollars of foam and glue. And I never count the time lost building the plane because that was fun time, and if I have to build another then I get to have more fun time. How many people get to say I had fun and enjoyed doing something for 3 or 4 days and it only cost me a couple of dollars?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2019, 05:15 PM
skumgummi dave
Yup. Fun for buck club as gpw says.
Jun 19, 2019, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave
Yup. Fun for buck club as gpw says.
Yep, Glen is the king of cheap and simple...learned a lot from him.
Ok all the new glue joints have setup and there wasn't as much scar tissue after the surgeries as I thought there would be. Started up the motor and held the plane vertically, it doesn't take off to the ceiling but it will almost hover in place , so I think I may have a winner here. The lighter weight should give me more of a float in for the landing instead of the flop you see in the video, and the motor may have enough strength to still give me some of that fun factor I like.
Storm blew in last night so defiantly no test flight today, over 20 mph winds with 25-30 mph gusts.
Jun 25, 2019, 06:03 AM
Thread OP
Ok, after 20-30 mph winds all week it finally calmished down to 10-12 yesterday, so I took the JAC out for a test with the lighter equipment. The winds still buffeted the 250 gram plane around a little but the motor pushed it just fine through it. I used a 500 mah battery to keep the weight down and wished I would have thought to try a 1000 to add weight for the wind and see if the motor could handle the extra heft. It flew about the same as before but the winds kept me from really determining if it is more "floaty". It still kinda flopped when I landed it too... I think if some incedence was added to the canard it might do better. But overall, for a sheet of dtf and two $2 arrow shafts and that it is a pretty simple build I can't complain.

Quick Reply