Jun 12, 2019, 07:55 PM
What is life without boats?
Thread OP
Discussion

Artesania Latina Atlantic tugboat plans

Does anyone have the instruction file for the Atlantic tug boat by Artesania Latina? I bought a NIB kit minus the instruction CD, and the plans were available for download from their site (which I did). Unfortunately, I did a cleanup of my computer, and mistakenly deleted the file, and their site is down for maintenance (at least, I hope it is not down permanently).

Does anyone have the plans? I believe they were in a pdf file format... Any help would be much appreciated!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2019, 10:05 AM
Still looking for the PDF?
Oct 21, 2019, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodama
Still looking for the PDF?
Thanks, but no. Another member made it available for me and I have made several copies to be sure I don't lose it. I think Artesania Latina is done for- their site no longer says it is being worked on- now it comes up with a security message. Too bad- really nice kits!

Anyway, thank you for the offer.
Oct 22, 2019, 09:54 AM
How far along are you on yours? I want to do mine up with RC, but I've no pics or instructions on how to install the motor, or even which one would be best..

I just got my kit, so haven't started yet but this was intended to be a winter project..

Also, what would be the best glue to bond wood to the ABS hull?

Their site only shows full size water craft equipment, now..
Thank you..
Oct 22, 2019, 05:48 PM
Thread OP
I am actually not building it. I bought it off another modeler and was planning on building it, but my Dad is just finishing up a scratchbuild Nautilus (Disney, not US Navy) and has never built a tugboat. So he is getting it from me to build, but he is not quite at the level of building this kit without the plans, so I went searching...

I have found a quality two part epoxy works well for gluing wood to ABS. If you really want to be sure, there are epoxies specific to bonding plastic and they all will work well with the wood.

The most important thing to do is:

A) wipe down the ABS hull with alcohol (I use gas line antifreeze). There is often an oily releasing agent on the plastic from manufacturing. I know some people who wash all plastic parts in the kitchen sink with a good quality dish soap as well.
B) score/break the glaze of the plastic where it is going to be glued. I use a fine grit sandpaper on a sanding block I 3D printed. You just have to give the glue a surface to bond to, and the smooth surface just does not cut it.

As for motor placement and so forth, I usually don't worry about it until I am fairly well along. The instructions cover the building of the keel and rudder placement and it covers placement of the stuffing tube. Do that, and you can position the motor later on. The less of an angle you put the drive train to each other, the less noise. This model will need a proper drive shaft (so no using a silicone hose) but try and keep it in line with the propeller shaft...

I advise going thru the instructions step by step a few times before starting. They are great plans, but you need to pay attention to the symbols- don't mix up the "glue" and "do not glue" symbols and so forth... really easy to do if you start rushing it. Remember, it is the journey- not the destination!
Oct 22, 2019, 10:39 PM
Yeah that's sort of what I thought.. I come from a model aircraft line, but with Transport Canuckistan basically killing model aircraft, I figured I'd give boats a try...
Running two cat speed boats ( electric ) with a V-hull cabin cruiser inbound, but wanted something more sedate just to fart around ponds and such..
I figured the tug would want either a 540 class brushed motor, or a low KV brushless in-runner..
Nothing too hot, but I'm tempted to put a FPV camera on the thing as well..
Dec 04, 2019, 12:47 PM
Hi.
Artesania Latina Atlantic tug boat.
I am also looking for the instructions or plans for this model. Did any of you manage to get hold of them?
D
Dec 04, 2019, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by David aston
Hi.
Artesania Latina Atlantic tug boat.
I am also looking for the instructions or plans for this model. Did any of you manage to get hold of them?
D
Yes, I was lucky enough to have two fellows step up and offer. I have put it in my Dropbox for you, you should be able to download it from there-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwpxcvr1ha...20WEB.pdf?dl=0
It is 174 pages of color, mostly pictures. The instructions are really easy to follow, and I am sorry that Artesania Latina has closed shop. I would have gotten another model or two from them, just to add to my stack!

Quick Reply