Jan 23, 2020, 11:34 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
My lightest is 220g with kst x08 and cg at 68mm. I like the rearward cg on such a light airframe and for working smaller bubbles. Also makes it much more lively and hence indicates the air better which increases my "feel"
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2020, 01:08 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
I bought their trays because I also bought their fancy ballast. I wanted to use that system. I suppose I could rip everything out of the pod and try again..... dang.
Hi Mike,

Was thinking about your situation some more. Any chance you could put the battery in the nose, and put a decased rx under the tray? Thus moving the heavier part forward?

The usual 600mah battery is about 13-14g. The AR410 is listed at 7g. Probably half that with the case off. I would try that before I tore everything out.

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Jan 26, 2020, 11:09 AM
I swapped my old FrSky receivers for G-RX6s on all my DLGs and loaded Jesper Frickmann’s great programs in my Taranis. I finally left my old JR radio with FrSky module and am now full Open TX (I know, I’m late to the party).

The G-RX6 is 4 grams lighter and I decided to fly my CX-5 at the new aft CG without adding nose weight. The old CG was 68mm. The new is 214 grams and 71mm.

It was a bit squirrelly but it climbed in anything! And it was turbulent here at the base of the Rocky Mountains. I’m really tempted to leave it as is. The problem is when the model is specked and far away since I have to actively fly it at all times. If I do move the CG forward, it won’t be back to 68. Maybe 69 or 70.

This is a veteran CX-5 with 3 club Ws in a tough club with great pilots. I believe I couldn’t have won without the CX-5. I love this thing.
Last edited by ReidRoberts; Jan 26, 2020 at 11:58 AM.
Jan 26, 2020, 12:16 PM
Time for me to Fly...
FWIW, I removed the case on my AR410 and relocated the capacitor so that it fit in the nose with the battery. It’s now 228g but the CG is 82mm. I can’t for the life of me understand why it is so tail heavy. There is nothing back there to make it so.

I’m going to remove the colored tails and install the cf ones that I ordered as spares. They are a gram lighter than the colored ones. I’m also going to remove the fancy servo tray and push the servos as far forward as I can. After that, I’ll add some tungsten putty inside the tip of the nose cone. We’ll see how that works out. The only other thing I can think to do is sand the epoxy off the boom.
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Jan 26, 2020 at 12:22 PM.
Jan 26, 2020, 02:02 PM
Well, the colored tails are indeed heavier. My lightest CF set has 8.5gr Is the 82 CG based on the "Rx behind the servos" setup?
I use a ~16gr 1s600mAh Turnigy Graphene and a 5gr Jeti R5L in front of the servos and need additional ~ 3-4gr in the nose with a standard tail set of ~ 9,5-10gr

Rollo
Jan 26, 2020, 02:21 PM
Time for me to Fly...
The RX is in the nose with that battery and the battery is the same Turnigy Graphene. My CF tails weigh 9g.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Jan 26, 2020, 02:45 PM
Quote:
The RX is in the nose with that battery and the battery is the same Turnigy Graphene. My CF tails weigh 9g.
The CF tails should save you 5-6gr in the nose and do the trick. Did you use the standard steel wire that came along in the accessory bag? If so, you could try to switching to a 30-40 pound fishing line. That’s what I use in my light planes...

Rollo
Jan 26, 2020, 03:18 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I did use the wire that came with it. I’ll give fishing line a try.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Jan 26, 2020, 05:56 PM
Quote:
I did use the wire that came with it. I’ll give fishing line a try.
It‘s not much, but every little bit of weight counts
Jan 30, 2020, 05:32 AM
Hello friends ,
I decided to buy a new DLG, but more performing than the ones I have now.
Following all the discussions in the forums I think the CX5 would be the best choice for me, but looking online to buy one, I find that there is only one supplier at this time, ie the manufacturer (for Europe) http://streamf3k.com/ Products / concept CX5 / ,
but on the Choose Layup page, I find that there are several variants:
1.Standart 40g / m2 carboweave
2. A-spread 62g / m2 +30 euro
3. Strong D-box shape reinforcement +30 euro
4. UHM 19g / m2 + 50 euro
5.UHM 29g / m2 +50 euro
6.UHM 39g / m2 +50 euro
(Https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uji...requested=true)

Who can helps me understand the differences between these variants and can place an order (I guess the differences are overall weight and strength, but I don't know how they influence the performance of the flight)

I do not exclude the option to buy a used CX5. If you know someone who has one for sale please let me know.
Jan 30, 2020, 08:49 AM
Hey gliderpd...do you want to fun fly only or use it in contests?

Rollo
Jan 31, 2020, 02:53 AM
hello Rolo
thanks for your reply ,
i want for contest .
Jan 31, 2020, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderpd
hello Rolo
thanks for your reply ,
i want for contest .
Okay, in this case, I would go for CW40 Standard if I would order 1 plane only. With 2 planes, I would go for a CW29 UHM (light but very stiff) and a CW40 D-Box Strong version to extend the possible envelope a little bit. The D-Box carries the ballast a little bit better than the regular CW40.
But that‘s only my personal preference

You can also pm me if you have further questions...

Rollo
Jan 31, 2020, 05:26 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
^ This is why I love ya Rollo

You're a legend looking after us all
Jan 31, 2020, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo340
Okay, in this case, I would go for CW40 Standard if I would order 1 plane only. With 2 planes, I would go for a CW29 UHM (light but very stiff) and a CW40 D-Box Strong version to extend the possible envelope a little bit. The D-Box carries the ballast a little bit better than the regular CW40.
But that‘s only my personal preference

You can also pm me if you have further questions...

Rollo
thanks for the info .
I think I will opt for the CW29 UHM, I have a DLG in the standard version (Stark, 280 grams, RTF).
I am particularly interested in flight performance and I think a lighter DLG would be better than this Stark.

Dumitru

Quick Reply