Jan 23, 2020, 04:52 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
Both of my CX5’s are built. They came out about 10 grams heavier than I was hoping for and that was mostly added nose weight. They are 244g and 247g. Both have a CG at 68mm. I will say that I was unable to get my Spektrum AR410 RX in the nose with the battery so the battery is under the servos in the pod. I suspect that they might have built out 5g lighter if I were flying a smaller RX that would have allowed the battery to be up in the nose.

It’s funny.... I remember my first Snipe ( back when they were still new) built out at 250g and I had a hard time adjusting to flying such a light plane. By today’s standards these CX5’s are a bit heavy. I’m sure they will fly well at this weight.
You should try to get more weight in the very tip of the nose and get that battery forward that’s way too heavy. My first one built out at 226 gram and that was with the old long fuse. The one I just sold with repairs was 242g. We are looking to rebuild it with a new fuselage and tails getting it down to the 220 range.
Also you should Dremel down your elevator and rudder control horn that will take a gram or two off the tail,and a couple grams out of the nose.
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Jan 23, 2020 at 05:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2020, 05:16 AM
Hey Mike...is there a chance to disassemble the case and use shrinking foil to reduce the size? Usually most of the Rx fit with a 1s 600 in front of the servos.
Jan 23, 2020, 05:18 AM
244 is pretty heavy for a Standard CW40. Do you still know the weights of the single components?

Rollo
Jan 23, 2020, 09:06 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Standard one weights are as follows.
Wing 105g
Fuse 38g
Tales 11g

Dbox one:
Wing 111g
Fuse 37g
Tales 11g

I didn’t weigh the servo trays and other little bits by themselves.

My projected weights with my hardware were 232g and 236g respectively..... maybe I have more nose weight in there than I thought. I didn’t weigh it. I just kept adding until they balanced where I wanted them to. For what it’s worth, it’s the same hardware that is in my 226g NXT.
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Jan 23, 2020 at 09:16 AM.
Jan 23, 2020, 09:11 AM
Time for me to Fly...
The darn RX is really tall with a big cap on top of it. I tried to slide the 600 mah cell under it but no go, even with the case off. In the NXT it works because the nose is so long.

Is anyone familiar with a better/smaller RX choice for Spektrum? I’m somewhat new to this brand of radio,
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Jan 23, 2020 at 09:41 AM.
Jan 23, 2020, 09:49 AM
Ryan Gonsoulin
Mike,

See my set up. I have the battery in the nose, the servo's forward as mush as possible and the rx behind the servos. I didn't use any trays (they look nice but cost IMO, in more ways than one). I used this material called balsa to mount me servos. Folks used to use it years ago. It's pretty lite and you can shape it to your needs using sand paper and a hobby knife. Maybe you could rearrange the front end?

I use a 2S 300 mah lipo

Mine came out at 215.

Ryan
Jan 23, 2020, 10:08 AM
Time for me to Fly...
I bought their trays because I also bought their fancy ballast. I wanted to use that system. I suppose I could rip everything out of the pod and try again..... dang.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Jan 23, 2020, 10:14 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I wouldn't worry about it too much. 10 or 15g won't make any noticeable difference in most conditions. You are going to love them!
Jan 23, 2020, 10:20 AM
Time for me to Fly...
I was ok with the D-Box one being on the heavy side. I planned on that being my wind plane anyway. I was a bit bummed when the standard one ended up so heavy. I’ll probably rework the pod on the standard layup one.

On second thought.... I’m going to fly it first. That’s probably a month or two away up in this part of the world.
Jan 23, 2020, 11:14 AM
Hey Wiz;
If you can find one, I use the old AR400 Rx uncased with a 380Mha 1s. All fits in the nose. With the older style all carbon fuse's you had to run the long antenna outside and just put the short antenna in the nose above the servos in the canopy area. Never had a RF problem doing that. With these new fuses with the kevlar noses, all inside is no problem, just keep them (antenna's) all up front at 90 degrees to each other.
Weight,,,well that is a bit heavy. Both of my std's came in at 226g. One has been rebuilt several times now and has climbed to about 236/7g. Believe it or not, I still like this one the best. Just because it is a 'different' flying plane, I can still get the same times in dead air that I can with the lighter plane. Working on my 'strong' now and I am not to worried about the weight. These things seem to really like that 230+/_ range. In the slightest breeze I put the 15g stick in and enjoy. Calm, fast, predictable plane. I will say this though. I think this glider benefits more from an all around standpoint of having the CG more at a 64/65mm range then farther back. 63mm when ballasted for me. Of course this will depend on many things including your flying style,,,,but all of my experimenting seem to bears out a farther forward cg will really bring this airframe 'alive'. Once again, just my 2cents and YMMV!
As far as the servo tray and ballast. Best system I have used and for me absolutely no weight penalty. Best thing about it is, I have built all three planes the same as far as the location of the tray and my system is identical in all three planes as such, the ballast works unmodified for all three.
Good luck, have fun, and don't be afraid to move that CG around experimenting.
Cary
Jan 23, 2020, 12:52 PM
the correct 51%
Mr. Wiz

I'm using the Ar400rx decased with the Turnigy nano-tech 600mah gum stick pack in a similar plane (patiently waiting for my two cx-5s). At $3.50 I have a few so I can swap out during the day of flying.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...mqx-120sr.html

Ron
Jan 23, 2020, 01:23 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I'm going to try a different RX and rework the pod. I want one of these in the range of 230g. It should be doable but I may have to lose the fancy ballast/servo tray.
Jan 23, 2020, 01:54 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I'm at 235g on my lightest one with the servo/ballast tray.
Jan 23, 2020, 04:02 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
I'm at 235g on my lightest one with the servo/ballast tray.
If I can get it down to 235g I’d be pretty happy. I’ll post my results after I get it figured out.
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Jan 23, 2020 at 05:58 PM.
Jan 23, 2020, 08:13 PM
Just remember the AR400 only has a preset failsafe on ch1, so left aileron usually with Spektrum.

Quick Reply