Concept X5 DLG Review

Jason builds and flys a Concept X5 in preparation for the 2019 World Championships. Check out the build and his thoughts on this competitive DLG.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 1.5M
Length: 1.07M
Flying Weight: Standard 226g / Textreme 237g
Servos: KST X08H V5
Receiver: Jeti R6L
Battery: 1s 500mAH
Price: $788.58 (Ä699)
Available at: Stream Team

The Concept X5 is a high end DLG (Discus Launch Glider) designed for F3K competitions. I have been flying the same two planes for around 5 years and they were getting old and worn out. I knew if I wanted to stay competitive I would need some new planes. I'd seen the CX5's flying and doing really well, then Mickey Nowell let me fly his a few times at the San Felasco event and I decided right there, I wanted a couple of them. I got a Standard wing and a wing for windy conditions that is about 11g heavier. I'll cover the basics of the build below along with my impressions of the planes. I hope you enjoy it.

Video

What's in the Box

The kit itself includes the wing, tails, fuselage and hardware. I also chose to order the protective bags and the 3D printed ballast/servo tray set for the fuselage. Here's a look at all the parts.

Other Items Used for the Review

Rollo recommended the KST X08H V5 servos so I contacted KST and they graciously provided the servos for this review. Thanks KST!

Assembly

Below will be a series of photos showing the build of one of the CX5's.

Flying

Now for the fun part! Flying the CX5 is pure joy. It's everything you want a DLG to be. It launches high, indicates lift well, floats for days and turns on a dime, but that's not the best part. The best part is that it penetrates into the wind like nothing I've ever flown before. OK, the best part really is all of the characteristics combined, but the ability to get back home from downwind is simply stunning. I took one to the Horizon RC Fest event in Illinois and the winds were screaming. I left the ballast sticks at home so I figured I'd see how it would do empty. The winds were 15-25MPH and I never had an issue moving forward. Cruise mode would happily move out and speed mode was even better. I could get low and it would retain its energy extremely well and kept going and going like the energizer bunny.

The plane is stable, but indicates lift well. On both planes I had the CG around 68mm. The tail and the whole plane seem to just leap when in a thermal. I use a lot of rudder normally for turning along with snapflaps and when circling at first it had a tendency to drop the nose. I adjusted and started using less rudder input which still yielded a tight circle for coring without the nose drop. It really climbs out in thermal mode.

I'm still adjusting to the plane for landings. The flaps are very effective and I am working on dialing in the elevator compensation to get a consistent stable speed for quick turns. Overall I am very happy with how the CX5 flys. It launches as high or higher than I'm used to, but what really surprised me along with its ability to penetrate into the wind, is how quickly you can move about the sky. It can cover some ground so if you miss a thermal ride, you can move through the sink in a hurry and find some better air. It should be amazing in a competition setting when you don't have a read and another pilot finds some lift across the field. You can make a run for that thermal and get there quickly.

Photos

Conclusion

I'm really happy I decided to go with the CX5. It is performing better than I could have hoped and you see them winning contests all over the world so I know if I do poorly, it's not the planes fault. I love how simple and easily it goes together and the 3D printed servo/ballast tray system is icing on the cake. You can change out ballast in a couple of seconds, it just works great.

Having the servos in the wing with the single Deans 4 pin connector makes traveling easier too since you can remove the wing in 20 seconds and not worry about any control linkages. The whole plane is setup to be simple, strong and convenient on top of being an incredible performer. You really can't go wrong. The only problem is that it can take a while to get a plane when you make an order. As you can imagine they are very popular and not mass produced. Trust me though, it's worth the wait!

Check out the Concept X5 webpage here

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Jun 20, 2019, 11:56 AM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Awesome plane. man is just stops when you come in to grab it.. those airbrakes work well.. I guess you need a ton of down ailerons for that to act that way..
Jun 20, 2019, 12:25 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Yeah the ailerons can go about 80 degrees down or more and with a little down elevator, it works as very effective airbrakes. Fun stuff!
Jun 20, 2019, 01:30 PM
Soar high, huck low
Good luck at the World Championship! USA!!!!
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Jun 21, 2019, 05:27 AM
Jason, looking at the wing design, did you get a right handed wing so you'd have no hard point to use the Snipe style peg to suit you as a leftie?
Jun 21, 2019, 07:22 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Yes, these are right handed wings with no hard point in the right tip for the normal peg. When I purchased them I indicated I was going to use the T Pegs so I wouldn’t have to wait for a lefty wing to be built.
Jun 21, 2019, 12:52 PM
Thanks Jason
Jun 24, 2019, 11:07 AM
Thinking you might want to mention the t-peg is not the stock throwing blade provided with the kit.
Jun 24, 2019, 11:11 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Thanks, I just added some notes with that info in a couple of the peg photos.
Jun 24, 2019, 05:56 PM
usaf3kteam
Sweet
Jul 01, 2019, 03:19 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Placed 1st at the Possum Toss this past weekend with my two CX5s! They flew fantastic!!
Jul 01, 2019, 09:04 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
I've also recently acquired a couple cx5s, and thoroughly enjoying them.

Really enjoying the manouverability over models I've flown before without it nailing you with loss of altitude if you get a bit ham-fisted or stall out. Turn radius for the tight stuff is best I've flown, which you don't often get with the high-launch, fast-run planes.

Good luck for the upcoming comps Jason!
Jul 19, 2019, 08:04 AM
Klutzsquatch

Alignment Jig

What is the alignment jig shown in the image from the rear of the plane forward. Pretty cool.
Jul 19, 2019, 08:34 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroves
What is the alignment jig shown in the image from the rear of the plane forward. Pretty cool.
Itís a model holder. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...G-Stand-Review
Jul 19, 2019, 09:29 AM
Klutzsquatch

Prompt Reply

Jason,

Thanx for the prompt reply. You back stateside from the F3K WC? Nice job on your first world comp.

Regards

mark

Quick Reply