Jun 12, 2019, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Easy flier, light thermals: Radian XL, Volantex ASW28, ?

Hi all, I have not been flying for 5 or 6 years. I thought I'd get back into some easy thermaling and get my chops back. I had a Radian that I really liked. it seemed to fly easily and be easy to keep up. I live in the desert.

I'd appreciate your advice.

Should I just get another Radian, or try something larger? Would a Radian XL be an easier to fly plane than the Volantex ASW28? I've read here that the latter is a fast flier.

Do those larger gliders hand launch like the smaller Radian?

Thank you.

Foggles
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2019, 11:14 AM
I have both the Radian XL and the Parkzone Radian 2m. The XL is a bit more problematic to transport due to its size. It can handle a stiffer breeze than the standard Radian. Both are lots of fun to guide around the sky! I tend to fly the 2m more because of its ease of transport! Can't go wrong either way.
Jun 14, 2019, 08:11 PM
I've had an ASW 28, V1, since they first came out and it's been at the field a lot! ;] Best thing I did was to upgrade to 4s, and start running it on 1000 mah. Great climbouts and a total new thermal catcher, slowed it considerably too. Just don't lose your wingrods as they're made from Unobtanium!
Jun 15, 2019, 02:34 PM
turn, turn, turn.
I think you are comparing apples to oranges because one is only rudder elevator and the other has ailerons and flaps if you want.

Definitely get the Radion for easy assembly and excellent thermal capabilities.

The ASW looks like it is a terrible thermal machine… and climb-outs in small lift down low would be nearly impossible… and with the Radian, it is common.

The Radian XL, forget about it... I've had 2 and gave one away with a warning, and 1 is still in the shed. I've gone through at least 3 Radians, maybe 4, and lost 1 completely in the morning lift about 100 ft. in the Sun... Up up and away.

Edit: I was confused and I was talking about the Radian Pro, not the XL.
My apologies. I have no experience with the XL.
Last edited by Kenny Sharp; Jun 16, 2019 at 11:15 AM.
Jun 15, 2019, 08:45 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
If you want a conventional 2m Radian buy one like today over at Tower Hobby. The plane has been discontinued and gone from the shelves for months and suddenly Tower says they have some. No one else does.

Nearly same deal with Radian XL. They now show as discontinued on the Horizon site but they haven't totally disappeared yet. Don't worry about people badmouthing the product -- you can find people who will badmouth anything.

If easy flying is what you want consider the Conscendo Advanced. Doesn't get any better mannered than that plane. And the Night Radian is available. Similar to the original 2m's but with a bunch of LEDs and SAFE. SAFE is optional on both planes if you want to supply your own receiver. Of all of those, the XL is the best thermaler and the Conscendo is the most sporty. And best wind performer if SAFE is used. Choose what fits.
Jun 15, 2019, 09:01 PM
turn, turn, turn.
No. The XL is not a better thermal machine than the 2 m Radian.

The XL has an undersized 4 servo wing that is too heavy and floppy for the control surfaces to make any kind of difference in camber or reflex, and there is no dihedral... Until it starts flopping around.

If you want a 4 servo wing, the wing needs to be stiffer and at least 3 m.

If you want a real thermal machine, get the 2 meter Radian with rudder, elevator, and dihedral.
Jun 15, 2019, 09:04 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
If you want a conventional 2m Radian buy one like today over at Tower Hobby. The plane has been discontinued and gone from the shelves for months and suddenly Tower says they have some. No one else does.

Nearly same deal with Radian XL. They now show as discontinued on the Horizon site but they haven't totally disappeared yet. Don't worry about people badmouthing the product -- you can find people who will badmouth anything.

If easy flying is what you want consider the Conscendo Advanced. Doesn't get any better mannered than that plane. And the Night Radian is available. Similar to the original 2m's but with a bunch of LEDs and SAFE. SAFE is optional on both planes if you want to supply your own receiver. Of all of those, the XL is the best thermaler and the Conscendo is the most sporty. And best wind performer if SAFE is used. Choose what fits.
You can always find people to bad mouth anything?... That's the reasoning?
Jun 15, 2019, 09:12 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
You can always find people to bad mouth anything?... That's the reasoning?
That's the truth. If you go to the main XL thread you will find people citing problems but your negativity would be at the extremes. Many more people like and enjoy their planes than the few with your sour viewpoint. Not saying you're the only one. But not anywhere near main-stream.

No point in us arguing about it. Everyone is free to visit the XL forum and see for themselves if the general consensus is the plane is worthless junk.
Jun 15, 2019, 09:14 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
That's the truth. If you go to the main XL thread you will find people citing problems but your negativity would be at the extremes. Many more people like and enjoy their planes than the few with your sour viewpoint. Not saying you're the only one. But not anywhere near main-stream.
Doesn't matter if I am main stream opinion or not... Appealing to numbers is a logical fallacy.

I am the most qualified to answer... And I have given the correct answer.

By the Radian not the XL… you will not get the results you are looking for with the XL.
Jun 15, 2019, 09:16 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:

No point in us arguing about it. Everyone is free to visit the XL forum and see for themselves if the general consensus is the plane is worthless junk.
I see in your edit that you doubled down on a logical fallacy by appealing to numbers again.
Jun 15, 2019, 09:19 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
I am the most qualified to answer... And I have given the correct answer..
That says everything.
Jun 15, 2019, 09:21 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
That says everything.
Indeed it does.
Jun 16, 2019, 11:14 AM
turn, turn, turn.
I was talking about the Radian Pro...not the XL.

My bad.
Jun 16, 2019, 11:16 AM
turn, turn, turn.
The hint in my posts, was that I was describing a 4 servo wing, which the Pro has.

Again, My apologies. I have edited my 1st post in this thread.

Quick Reply