Aug 17, 2019, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik
Ditto!

Today I did the fan mod and cancelled out the fan timer. Not too difficult but I took mt time.

Thought I'd share some pics.

I used the 2s connector from the batt pack (soldered longer wires)

br, Erik
I didn't understand how you changed the fan and what it is for

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 4 utilizzando Tapatalk
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2019, 09:28 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
The fan is powered from the balance cable and to activate the fan you need to push the timer button. I powered the fan from the power socket and bypasses the timer button.

It's a Fatshark "design flaw" I corrected. My fan turns on when power applied to the goggle.
Doesn't turn off after a 6-7 minute interval you need to unplug the batt. Like this I do not get foggy lenses when the fan turns off automatically.

br, Erik
Aug 17, 2019, 03:55 PM
Quote:
The fan is powered from the balance cable and to activate the fan you need to push the timer button. I powered the fan from the power socket and bypasses the timer button.

It's a Fatshark "design flaw" I corrected. My fan turns on when power applied to the goggle.
Doesn't turn off after a 6-7 minute interval you need to unplug the batt. Like this I do not get foggy lenses when the fan turns off automatically.

br, Erik
thanks, it's a very useful change. I didn't understand how you did it but it doesn't seem difficult

when the timer is used, if I click again does the fan restart?

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 4 utilizzando Tapatalk
Aug 17, 2019, 05:48 PM
Yes the fan restarts but it slows down at a low pace so you would not notice this. Just solder the fan wires to the balance male connector like I did on the pics isn't that hard to do .
The wiring in the goggle is similar like below BUT I routed the balance cable through the headstrap opening instead of drilling a hole:

Fatshark Fan Mod and Opening Up The Optics (DON'T DO THIS!) (10 min 48 sec)
Aug 19, 2019, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Yes the fan restarts but it slows down at a low pace so you would not notice this. Just solder the fan wires to the balance male connector like I did on the pics isn't that hard to do .
The wiring in the goggle is similar like below BUT I routed the balance cable through the headstrap opening instead of drilling a hole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnK24cb-B7c
now i got it right. Is it certain will there be foggy lens or can it be a non-relevant problem?
Aug 19, 2019, 04:45 PM
Without the fan it will fog. In summer even worse according to several goggle reviews.
This mod has been done many times on youtube. I did this on a 1 week old goggle.
Aug 20, 2019, 12:07 PM
Delicous salad addition
Still lovin these things. Man I love it when you spend money on something and you're happy with what you got.

Anyways....question popped into my head when I was wiping them down last night.

The patch antenna.....as these goggles are curved to fit your head, the patch antenna winds up pointing quite a ways to the right and not really straight ahead. Would it not be much better to have it on an 45 elbow of sorts so that it points in the same direction as your looking so that your quad is far more likely to be in the FOV of the patch antenna?
Aug 20, 2019, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Crouton
Still lovin these things. Man I love it when you spend money on something and you're happy with what you got.

The patch antenna.....as these goggles are curved to fit your head, the patch antenna winds up pointing quite a ways to the right and not really straight ahead. Would it not be much better to have it on an 45 elbow of sorts so that it points in the same direction as your looking so that your quad is far more likely to be in the FOV of the patch antenna?
Well... A 45 degree connector would add attenuation no matter how good it is... Turning your head a bit would take 0.000042% of your daily spent calories... Reading the small text on the back of that patch is what will make your day
Aug 20, 2019, 12:32 PM
Delicous salad addition
lol....thanks I guess?
Aug 20, 2019, 03:19 PM
I installed 2 stubbys the are angled 90 degrees which gives full coverage. When the quality gets insufficient I'll use my Pagoda patch antenna with flexible braid.

I was highly amazed the video quality doesn't change no matter the angle of your head, exept when flying behind your head it goes down a bit.
Aug 20, 2019, 06:37 PM
Quote:

Interesting point GC and Erik, for $3 USD definitely worth the investment and doing a little testing in the field.

https://www.racedayquads.com/product...f7eb44f2&_ss=r
Aug 20, 2019, 06:39 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
Quote:
thanks I guess?
its truth. any additional connector reduces range. its as simple as that.
just point your patch where you want the best coverage. who cares where your head is actually lined up, as long as the coverage is solid?
if the patch was on the rear of my head, id just turn my back to wherever i wanted the best coverage.
Aug 20, 2019, 07:16 PM
Delicous salad addition
Quote:
its truth. any additional connector reduces range. its as simple as that.
That I totally get and completely agree with. It was the tone of the rest of the post I found amusing.

Perhaps I don't fully understand patch antennas. I was lead to believe they are far more "forward looking" then their counterparts on the other side of the goggle. Therefore I assumed looking significantly off to one side may have an impact on performance.

If the reality is quite the opposite, well then I've learned something today.
Aug 20, 2019, 07:58 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
They are forward looking. -perpendicular to the panel. So if side mounted on a goggle, that antennas reception triangle of high gain reception will also be off to the side, when compared to where your nose is pointed.
Aug 20, 2019, 08:27 PM
Quote:
That I totally get and completely agree with. It was the tone of the rest of the post I found amusing.

Perhaps I don't fully understand patch antennas. I was lead to believe they are far more "forward looking" then their counterparts on the other side of the goggle. Therefore I assumed looking significantly off to one side may have an impact on performance.

If the reality is quite the opposite, well then I've learned something today.
Sorry, I didn't meant to be rude or anything. You are right for the radiation pattern of a patch antenna, it's in front that they usually are the most effective. Some also have a small lobe on the rear but that's where the goggles and your head usually sits so this rear lobe isn't that useful.
Also keep in mind the front lobe isn't like a laser beam (that would be on a parabolic antenna) but more like a good 90 degree FOV camera lens and RF isn't always coming in a direct path but might bounce here and there and illuminate the surroundings.
Think about a torch light in a dark cave, if you point it to the ceiling and look around you can see most of the cave (given that the ceiling isn't 200m high). That makes a patch working in any direction at close range, but when it comes to long range then it's very important to point it to the right direction.

Really, read the small text on the back of that patch... it has to be a reference to KSP or I'm not called Jeb...

Quick Reply