Aug 14, 2019, 07:08 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Hi gramps!

Thx for your input!
I have been using the V5 for near 2 weeks and watched DVR footage in the evenings to get used to this goggle and it seems I am getting used to the view but suffering a minimal motion sickness like I had on box goggles.
The blurred bottom osd seems less of an issue when flying but again my eyes seem to cope better now to this style of goggle.

Yesterday I went to the club and viewed along other member's frequencies and I was highly amazed a high TVL cam really shows the sharpness of the screens unlike it's relatively low resolutoin!
I use Micro Swift2 on my small drones I only flew with these goggles to date which should be shelved earlier as expected

I'll try to borrow some lenses to see if the blurry edges can be solved. A set of 3 lenses are more expensive as expected just to justify an experiment.

I digg the scout as well and the manual states it is auto record as well but not sure about auto save option. I do think this is very likely because the V5 manual is about as clear on this as well. I am amazed how well the Scout manual is written vs V5.

I am using 2 Axi stubby on the V5 now and I am highly amazed on it's performance for daily use AND the do fit in the case without removing.
Seems I am getting more pleased with the V5!

When the balance leads conecting to the fan it does not turn on automatically and the timer button needs to be activated to get the fan working. I guess the Bardwell fan mod isn't of any use when the timer isn't bypassed. I'd rather have it permanent working when main plug is put in.

Is there a modifiaction link for this other than soldering a 2s balance plug to the internal power socket?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2019, 09:19 AM
Hi all,
I have 2 super naive questions...
Can one connect the goggle to a laptop to play sim with some adaptor? And do you need to remove the SD to transfer the DVR ?

Thank you ��
Aug 14, 2019, 11:43 AM
Delicous salad addition
I waited a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time to finally jump into the FS game. I knew no one that had a pair, couldn't find a store nearby that had a pair I could at least try on. VERY hesitant to spend the money on goggles like this as I too had concerns as to how my eyes would handle it and whether or not it was an upgrade to the the Quanum goggles I've been using since the first day I stepped into the FPV game. I haven't used anything but, so I had nothing to compare them to.

These seemed like a decent happy medium between features and price so finally decided to pull the trigger. Man am I glad I did. I don't even notice if these have a narrower FOV vs the Quanums. All I know is the picture is noticeably improved, SOOOOOO much more comfortable to wear and the stability of the picture is unreal. I've flown my quads quite a distance away and barely any breakup or static in the picture. I freakin love these things. I've even flown my whoop upstairs from the living room without any breakup in picture.

Only issue I've had so far is the slot for the SD card is a bit odd, I somehow accidentally slipped the card above the slot and not into it. Had to take apart my brand new goggles to get it out. In hindsight, that was dumb as the card was only $5 and there is a very delicate ribbon attached each lens to the main board.

Anyways, if anyone is on the fence like I was for years, I'm really happy I went ahead and bought them. They have really improved my FPV experience. So much better than the TV I used to strap to my face.
Last edited by Great Crouton; Aug 14, 2019 at 12:06 PM.
Aug 14, 2019, 12:19 PM
Ditto!

Today I did the fan mod and cancelled out the fan timer. Not too difficult but I took mt time.

Thought I'd share some pics.

I used the 2s connector from the batt pack (soldered longer wires)

br, Erik
Aug 14, 2019, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikotttin
Hi all,
I have 2 super naive questions...
Can one connect the goggle to a laptop to play sim with some adaptor? And do you need to remove the SD to transfer the DVR ?

Thank you ��
there is an AV in port on the goggle. I do not have a plug to try it but noticed I'm not able to use a sim anymore they fly weird! I am not locked in at all!
Aug 14, 2019, 07:00 PM
FPV Ground Pounder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik
Hi gramps!

Thx for your input!
I have been using the V5 for near 2 weeks and watched DVR footage in the evenings to get used to this goggle and it seems I am getting used to the view but suffering a minimal motion sickness like I had on box goggles.
The blurred bottom osd seems less of an issue when flying but again my eyes seem to cope better now to this style of goggle.

Yesterday I went to the club and viewed along other member's frequencies and I was highly amazed a high TVL cam really shows the sharpness of the screens unlike it's relatively low resolutoin!
I use Micro Swift2 on my small drones I only flew with these goggles to date which should be shelved earlier as expected

I'll try to borrow some lenses to see if the blurry edges can be solved. A set of 3 lenses are more expensive as expected just to justify an experiment.

I digg the scout as well and the manual states it is auto record as well but not sure about auto save option. I do think this is very likely because the V5 manual is about as clear on this as well. I am amazed how well the Scout manual is written vs V5.

I am using 2 Axi stubby on the V5 now and I am highly amazed on it's performance for daily use AND the do fit in the case without removing.
Seems I am getting more pleased with the V5!

When the balance leads conecting to the fan it does not turn on automatically and the timer button needs to be activated to get the fan working. I guess the Bardwell fan mod isn't of any use when the timer isn't bypassed. I'd rather have it permanent working when main plug is put in.

Is there a modifiaction link for this other than soldering a 2s balance plug to the internal power socket?
Have you tried measuring your IPD to see if it's in range? I can get the left side sharper than the right but I have inplants and the right one has a little film on it. Don't notice it in real life just when using the goggles. The Falcons I had I could never get the corners clear so I could read the OSD. I;m thinking of getting the sizing kit that come with different thicknesses of foam and see if that has any effect.

The firmware on the Scout's seems to be a complete rewrite of the normal FS firmware. The menu is much more refined.

I have the stock lollypop on the left and a Bandicott Linear patch on the right seems to be working well but I might have to try the mini AXII's
Aug 14, 2019, 08:19 PM
They haven't measured my IPD but eyesight a few years ago which is 180% above average.
I have seen a youtube review of Kabab and he states only DominatorV3 has correct lense design and all other versions have blurryness in corners for this reason he sticks with the Dom's.

I tried to lift the goggle face plate but it does not seem to have a lot of effect on the blurryness in corners. Guess I have to get used to it?

I like the simple software of the V5. There is nothing I'd wish for exept the possibility of a slow rewind option when playing the footage to retrieve gps location in case of a loss.
I like the way how to change channels on a band with the top slider. We all fly on raceband so no need for extra options LOL!!

I like the LHCP stubbys for now. If it doesn't suffice I'll use a LHCP pagoda patch. Perhaps I'll use a raised stubby later on one side. We'll see...

However, I was amazed a friend uses a RHCP and I could see his frequency very clear in my V5...
Aug 15, 2019, 10:29 PM
How are people finding the stretched image in the goggles? Is it annoyingly noticeable? Or is it not a big deal?

I even saw someone say on another thread that only the early prototypes had the stretched image, and the retail versions have a proper 4:3 aspect ratio image. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
Aug 16, 2019, 12:06 AM
Team Crash
The image is great, doesn't look stretched at all.
Aug 16, 2019, 12:34 AM
Thanks Rook62.
Aug 16, 2019, 01:05 AM
If you didn't know it's stretched you do not see it.
Aug 16, 2019, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik
If you didn't know it's stretched you do not see it.
Fair point! And I know some people can adjust to changes in things like this very quickly... but I am a racer and I am worried that the stretched image may affect perspective and the ability to judge gates, height to the ground etc. I race with guys that use Aomway Commanders (16:9) with 4:3 cameras and they say the stretched image doesn't bother them, but I've tried them a few times and I just couldn't get used to it.
Aug 16, 2019, 10:27 AM
FPV Ground Pounder
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz11
How are people finding the stretched image in the goggles? Is it annoyingly noticeable? Or is it not a big deal?

I even saw someone say on another thread that only the early prototypes had the stretched image, and the retail versions have a proper 4:3 aspect ratio image. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
I read that too when looking at them but to me the image looks fine. Appears 4:3 to me in the goggles
Aug 16, 2019, 10:56 AM
I tried 4:3cam on 16:9 goggle setting and could not get used as well and set the goggle back to 4:3 but on the V5 it did not give a stretched view to me.

Purshased a lens set but the -2lenses gave a blurry center and sharp corners. Just the opposite of the issue I noticed. I guess -1 would be ideal for me (good eyes, no glasses or contact lenses).
However I did notice the FOV is slightly smaller which is a good thing to adjust IPD more easely.
Aug 16, 2019, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys, that's good to know.

Quick Reply