Jul 26, 2019, 12:15 AM
The Other Side of Your Screen
Back when there were still more than just a few heli flyers in my area I kept getting told to give up the small stuff and skip the 450 too, start with the TRex 500. Well I found a good TRex 500, it has looked nice for 2+ years now, one day I will get past the nanos, micros and the 230 to see if they were right about the 500!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2019, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport
Back when there were still more than just a few heli flyers in my area I kept getting told to give up the small stuff and skip the 450 too, start with the TRex 500. Well I found a good TRex 500, it has looked nice for 2+ years now, one day I will get past the nanos, micros and the 230 to see if they were right about the 500!
No need to give up the small stuff, I fly my Ncpx in my living room. But get that 500 in the air! Youíll be amazed at how much easier it is to fly than the little ones.
Jul 26, 2019, 11:32 AM
I hear ya .... gotta by the scorpion bearing tool and some boca bearings for it before they stop selling heli parts. I purchased used from someone that had done the same, don't know if they had ever been replaced and like to have an odometer count on that, so I will start it a zero but replacing them.

It is a nice bird, took me forever to figure out what it was because all of the T-Rex 500 Pro DFC's I saw had TT tail, mine is belt. After looking at the CF frame panels for all Align 500's I finally figured it to be a paddled T-Rex 500 Pro that had the DFC conversion and FBL upgrade done to it. So at least I think I have a parts catalog to work from now.

Wow ... it has been 3 years now I have had it and not flown it. Sometimes I think I paid $500 for the 130 X with the blown out tailbox and the nCPX that would not bind with a few parts for each, and the T-Rex and DX6i were thrown in free, instead of the other way around. I really wanted to get the 130 X flying at that time and it probably sealed the deal. 2 or 3 hundred dollars later it is a great flyer, as long as the tail servo stays together.
Jul 26, 2019, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helique
Man, if you can fly a micro, you can fly anything. My current Heli is a Trex 470LM... itís SO much easier to fly than the Nano. Of course itís much faster but so much more stable. If I could afford to go bigger, I would, but the cost of the big batteries is too much for my budget.
This is probably bass-ackwards, but in some ways I find the Nanos easier to fly than larger helis. Probably because there isn't as much fear of crashing.
Jul 26, 2019, 03:19 PM
Well, my 300 CFX is more stable than the nano's, full BeastX Flight Control built into the AR7200 receiver/flight controller, I would guess the 500 should be the same .... they are not affected by wind as much, have digital servos which respond much faster and hold much tighter with ball links on both sides so no slop, as well as a much more responsive fully mechanical tail.

They do NOT have a bail out feature, but I am sure one could be added, and they crash with more inertia. But I think the control should be better, but I still would recommend anyone starting out to get the S2 and 230 S v2 at the same time to learn with. I should have bought the 230 S v1 but it was not out, so I started with the 200 SRX .... not bad but Fixed Pitch is not as good a trainer, especially with wind.
Jul 26, 2019, 04:15 PM
the problem with a cp heli is setup when your just starting out .. it can be daunting and 'fixing' a cp heli just plain sucks any point of the time line lol .. no doubt a large heli is more stable, but i learned on a honeybee fp, thats what got me initially confident to actually fly past hovering .. i wasnt afraid to crash it, fixing was simple comparatively, and it was large enough to conquer 'reasonable' everyday wind and see out to 50 yards or so good so i could really stretch my sticks so to speak .. after i could slam that thing back and forth in circuits i could pretty much do it with anything .. learning inverted was a new ballgame of course, and a mcpx and trex250 teamed up to make that happen, the mcpx being less intimidating so i got the feel for it and the 250 having alot more precision and power but relatively simple and cheap to operate .. so imo you could say a big heli is better and it gives you alot more warning so your less apt to let it get away from you, but you wont be learning any faster and wont be pushing it like something you arnt afraid to crash ..
Jul 26, 2019, 10:51 PM
Thatís an interesting thread.

I still remembered the first time when I flipped to IU1 from normal mode on nCPS I ended up in a crash into wall in 10 sec. After that I kept practicing in normal mode for 1/2 year and do all necessary dual / expo thing and finally got it hover somewhat stable in mid air. It took me another 6 months to proceed to figure 8 in IU...

Interestingly I have similar crash on mCPS (during maiden flight) and after that thing got much better. ^^Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jul 27, 2019, 03:24 AM
For me the only difference between 'normal' mode and IU1 is that in normal mode the motor stops when I shut the throttle/collective stick all the way down. That's because I've programmed the pitch curves exactly the same, and the 7-point throttle curves are also the same except for the first two points. That made, for me anyway, the transition from flying normal mode to flying in IU1 mode easy -- all I had to do was remember to rely on the throttle-kill switch instead of zero throttle at the end of a flight.

Quick Reply