Jun 10, 2019, 08:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Brushfire plans

Hi Gang,
Does anyone have plans for the built up version of the Brushfire? The original 60 size version?
Thanks
Mitch
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2019, 08:40 PM
Thread OP

Brushfire plan pdf.

Thanks a lot.
Jun 11, 2019, 07:24 AM
I Hope David Oxilia will chime in as he has redesigned the Brushfire with much lighter (modern) construction techniques.
Jun 11, 2019, 09:41 AM
DavidsPlanes
Will,

Thanks for your comment and support of my Brushfire redesign.

Mitch,

I’m not sure if I received a PM from you on the subject and worse yet, I can’t recall if I replied. My recollection is that I replied to an RCU PM recently and it may have been someone else as the handles on different forums change (mine is the same incidentally).

In any case, I did produce a CAD version of the model but didn’t finalize the flying surfaces as my initial idea was to go the foam core route. The model is designed to use a plug-in wing and optionally stab with (again, optionally) incidence adjusters. My version is slightly larger than the original (not by much) something I did to help me with some equipment design logistics. Still intended for a RE strong 60 with an angled (~10 degree if memory serves) straight back tuned pipe exhaust. Most Italian and Japanese RE 60’s offer this header configuration. I sourced a Picco 80 and original pipe setup for my model but OPS and NR also offer a nice solution. Any OS RF/VF should also serve well.

I’m planning on making built up surface drawings which keeps the kit size a little more compact which in turn reduces shipping costs. Of course, this is only relevant for the eventual laser kit which I plan to produce. Those wishing to build with foam cores, always have that option. It’s worth mentioning that the “variable” TE taper on the wing makes the cutting of cores a little more delicate and it may be that the best approach, considering the plug-in approach, is to cut the cores in two panels per side. The first panel, adjacent to the fuse, spans the perpendicular “flap” portion of the wing and the second “swept” portion spans the outer aileron portion of the wing. I will likely design the framed up version in the same fashion although it won’t be evident once the panel is built. The use of flaps would of course be optional.

As a brief aside, the wing section on the Brushfire is massive, particularly at the root. It might be 18% plus. Since I have no experience flying this model, I wondered if a slightly thinner airfoil would be beneficial. My tendency is to not mess with this tried and tested design keeping all moments, platforms and sections per the original but I would like to hear any input from those who’ve flown the model.

Will, I believe we’ve chatted on the subject a few years ago but please do chime in here to refresh my recollection. Anyone else please feel free as well.

Thanks, David

Edit: I’ve attached my drawings for reference.
Last edited by doxilia; Jun 11, 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Jun 11, 2019, 04:34 PM
The Brushfire flew very well in the original configuration (about 850"sq and a very thick wing section; slightly thicker than the original EU1-A), BUT you had to build it light. I saw plenty of 9lb+ Brushfires back in the day and they needed a LOT of power (either Rossi or YS). Personally, I think it flew better than the Deception mostly because of the increased lateral area which really helped the rolling maneuvers.
There are several different approaches to alter the wing:
1) Same thick wing, but 100"sq smaller
2) Same wing root, but thinner wing tip. I'll suggest ~13% with either the same wing area or reduced as much as 100"sq.
3) Thinner wing 13-14%
4) Original wing, but more power: OS 95AX, K&B Aero 100, Jett 90 or 100
I'm sure David will have some comments about my suggestions, maybe others as well.
E-power looks viable, too with some modification of the canopy area.
-Will
Last edited by flywilly57; Jun 11, 2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling error
Jun 15, 2019, 10:07 AM
AMA13456
Hmmm, light-weight balsa structure.....did somebody say plug in wings and removable canopy? Perfect for e-power!! ....hint...hint
Aug 22, 2019, 10:45 AM
I flew Brushfires in the late 80's. Fiberglass fuse and foam cores. Weighed in at 7.5 lbs. A YS60 LS was more than enough. I won many local contests and placed in the 90 NATS.

I liked that it flew slower than the rest. This gave more time to perform the pattern. It was great in the wind as well, and with that big wing it slowed down and landed very gently.

I liked it so much that I am ordering one from Leo at RC Missouri and making it electric. Personally I would not change anything in the dimensions.

The electric should make it even better. I will start a build thread as soon as I get all the components together.

Quick Reply