Jun 12, 2019, 12:58 PM
Ken Stuhr
Thread OP
Yes, so do I!!

Now waiting on higher-c batts to avoid voltage drawdown and edf rpm fluctuation encountered on maiden, and then reasonable weather. But I don't have any peeps with a good video camera. One does have a pretty good phone tho.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2019, 12:10 PM
Pro Hoarder
I vote for some cell phone vid..
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jun 13, 2019, 05:41 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyken
Turbo-

Somebody else also thot so.......
Very different airframes with completely different control schemes. In most ways the Northrop wings were more advanced. Especially in yaw control. A scheme Jack Northrop came up with in the early 1930s.

Everyone likes to credit the Hortons with the Northrop wings but Northrop was flying powered wings (one of which is still flying today) while the Hortons were still flying gliders.
Jun 13, 2019, 06:52 PM
Pro Hoarder
Unfortunately that one flying crashed recently and was a total loss and the pilot perished...My point was Kens model construction looks more like Jacks than Hortons..
But Jack still gets credit for the B2 in my book
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jun 13, 2019, 08:12 PM
DFS#000178
Oh damn that sucks. I didn't know that. I have pictures of it in the hangar from back in 2017. That really is a shame, both the loss of the airframe and especially the loss of life. I'm really sorry to hear that.
Jun 13, 2019, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Very different airframes with completely different control schemes. In most ways the Northrop wings were more advanced. Especially in yaw control. A scheme Jack Northrop came up with in the early 1930s.

Everyone likes to credit the Hortons with the Northrop wings but Northrop was flying powered wings (one of which is still flying today) while the Hortons were still flying gliders.
Northrup was hardly unique or alone. Wings where briefly the new frontier in the Pre war aero era.
Many makers/designers had 'em.
Even Boeing had a series of designs.. making Northrups' early efforts seem 'primitive' . Google is useful.

Arguably ....Northrop 'wings' prime/ enduring historical achievement proved as the renaming of Groom Lake
Last edited by Bare; Jun 13, 2019 at 09:19 PM.
Jun 14, 2019, 12:58 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Northrup was hardly unique or alone. Wings where briefly the new frontier in the Pre war aero era.
Many makers/designers had 'em.
Even Boeing had a series of designs.. making Northrups' early efforts seem 'primitive' . Google is useful.
Boeing's designs, at least the ones I've seen, were more what we'd call today a delta wing. They all had a discernible fuselage. They were like prop-driven versions of the Vulcan. And as far as I'm aware they never built one, let alone flew one. Interesting subjects for sure but not true flying wings.
Jun 14, 2019, 12:09 PM
Ken Stuhr
Thread OP
I liked this one..................
Jun 14, 2019, 05:33 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
I liked this one..................
It is really freaking cool. I'd imagine to actually handle well, both in the air and on the water, it'd need tip floats and some sort of vertical stabilizer, since it doesn't have any sort of yaw control at all.

But I'd love to see one in RC some day.
Jun 21, 2019, 10:55 PM
Congratulations!! excellent work. What paint did you use and what technique to apply it? the landing gear is scratchbuild?
Jun 22, 2019, 02:46 PM
Ken Stuhr
Thread OP
I think you are looking at the video. NOT MY Airplane! Mine's not even covered yet much less painted............

2nd flight prolly next Tuesday.........
Jul 04, 2019, 06:13 PM
Lost in the Sky
Quote:
Plans? Whut plans?

There are several 3 vw dwgs around and i picked the one that seemed right, went from there scratching.

Yes, I'll be nipping the fins down as tests continue but I suspect there will be a need for something left. During this flight today, it seemed to turn OK but I also had a lot of differential in.

Thanks Turbo and Bare.................hey, Bare, was it you who a few years ago spotted this plane in the background in a pic of another plane and wanted more info? Stand by!
Ken,

T'was I who spotted your Horten in the background September 03, 2016: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&postcount=20

If you would please post some pictures of your finished airplane, people would stop mistaking Juergen S' Ho-229 for your Ho-18.

Richard
Jul 06, 2019, 09:32 PM
Ken Stuhr
Thread OP
Richard-

Post #1 shows the model as finished as it is now.
Jul 06, 2019, 09:39 PM
Ken Stuhr
Thread OP

2nd test flight

Quoting from Post 1:

"At that point, the fans began rpm fluctuations. I immediately throttled back and knew it was time to land. I suspect I was drawing the batts down and the ESCs were cutting in and out. Anyway, cut the throttle and glided forever to a soft belly landing. The only odd thing was that, under power, trim was perfect, and gliding, there was a mild nose up tendency which I had to correct to prevent stall, but very mild.:

Had a 2nd trial last Weds. I had installed higher-C cells in an effort to solve the rpm fluctuation, but it didn't work. In fact, it was doing this just as I let go on hand launch. Tried throttling back, but still persisted, so cut power and glided in for landing. No damage.

Since, I have managed to drag one of the ESCs far enuf forward to read the rating (I forgot). 18A, and no doubt not enuf. I based this on AEOs literature but I am now convinced the fans were drawing substantially more than they claimed (was it 12A?). Ordered 4x 40A ESCs, cut the bottom skin for access, and should have the new installed by end of next week.

Try again!!
Jul 07, 2019, 02:26 AM
You know nothing....
Here’s another 18,design and build by Raymund Sonst.Unlike Ken he uses extension tubes and what appears to be a small keel.
http://www.das-nurfluegelteam.de/
The pic is from a build of one of his kits,I’m not sure if this flew successfully.
Horten H XVIII - E-Jet Meeting Nordhausen 2017 (5 min 43 sec)

Quick Reply