Jun 10, 2019, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

RID Status

As of 6/8/19
-----------
The big news is that the Remote ID (RID) NPRM has slipped.

OIRA calendared it for September 2019 on the Unified Agenda, but as of Thursday it has slipped indefinitely.

All a short two weeks after FAA Executive Director Jay Merkle told the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation that the rule would be rolled out in July. The explanation:

The rule has “proven complex,” the FAA’s congressional liaison wrote in a letter to industry members and obtained by POLITICO.

No scoop to support it, but logic suggests that the draft rule was either turned back by security stakeholders during the OIRA review, or by a whole bunch of department lawyers. Wave 2019 goodbye and start worrying about 2022. Seriously...

As reported by Vic Moss who was in Baltimore, during his keynote at the UAS Symposium, Mr. Elwell reiterated that “Without Remote ID, the UAS Industry will not advance. BVLOS, Over People, etc. will not happen. The industry needs to
realize that.”

A final rule on remote identification of drones could take as long as two years, the FAA told its Drone Advisory Committee on Thursday. With that in mind, the agency is seeking the committee’s advice on how to get operators to voluntarily use remote ID in the meantime.

“We realize that there’s no schedule I can give you or anyone else can give you that will be quick enough to get to Remote ID, from a regulatory standpoint,” said Jay Merkle, executive director of the FAA’s drone integration office. “So we think working with industry to get early adoption of [technical] standards and voluntary compliance is a good way to start enabling and unlocking” flights over people and beyond line of sight.

A true license plate analogy means that an officer has as much information about the drone and operator, as he has about the vehicle and driver when he does a traffic stop...

Even if you are not a lawyer it shouldn’t surprise you that this type of solution comes with any number of legal hurdles to overcome – leaving us to wonder if legislation will be needed before regulation...

Put it all together and it’s easy to see why the FAA is struggling to come up with a scalable, long term RID solution that will meet the needs of national, state and local security agencies that they are willing to invest in and won’t be thrown out in court.

https://dronebusiness.center/rid-rid...6-08-18-32797/
Last edited by elan; Jan 03, 2020 at 06:34 PM. Reason: clarity
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2019, 02:29 PM
Team Futaba
Turns out it is a lot harder than they thought. But this is not good news. FAA has tied a number of waivers, including hobby flights in controlled airspace but not at a fixed site, to having remote ID.
Jun 10, 2019, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Turns out it is a lot harder than they thought. But this is not good news. FAA has tied a number of waivers, including hobby flights in controlled airspace but not at a fixed site, to having remote ID.
-You never know. I just had a chat with a fellow who said this situation might require a legislative fix which could give hobby advocates another bite at the "legislative waiver apple."
Last edited by elan; Jun 10, 2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: clarity
Jun 10, 2019, 02:43 PM
Multirotors are models too!
I did a FOIA request several weeks ago, requesting all docs they have regarding the Remote ID RFI they did early this year. Still waiting
Latest blog entry: Test entry
Jul 25, 2019, 09:22 AM
Still no word.

Would not be surprised if all the submissions lacked any consideration for recreational flyers.....
Jul 25, 2019, 09:37 AM
Team Futaba
Yep, this is an albatross around their necks. Turns out "sUAS" covers so much territory that finding a solution that works across the board is far more difficult than was first imagined.
Jul 25, 2019, 02:55 PM
Agreed. Applying SUAS and DRONE terminology to anything unmanned in the air has come back to bite them. FAA were always silent and often evasive on defining the difference between hobby and commercial. Certainly the AMA screwed up big time when they did nothing to isolate the AMA traditional hobby fron the multirotors and commercial aspects.
Jul 25, 2019, 03:29 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by roids
Certainly the AMA screwed up big time when they did nothing to isolate the AMA traditional hobby fron the multirotors and commercial aspects.
+100
Jul 25, 2019, 07:53 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
agreed,
BIG TIME screw up
Aug 04, 2019, 04:24 PM
Amen, bro
Aug 13, 2019, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Yep, this is an albatross around their necks. Turns out "sUAS" covers so much territory that finding a solution that works across the board is far more difficult than was first imagined.
-There is talk they may need to push the date back again...
Sep 02, 2019, 09:05 AM
Thread OP

The FAA's Deadline for Publishing the Remote ID Proposal is 18 Days Away

Let's see if the blundering FAA is able to make this deadline, let alone finalize remote ID in the next two years.
------------

A U.S. Transportation Department status update now says the FAA plans to propose the regulation by Sept. 20 - after it earlier promised it by July 21. A person briefed on the matter confirmed the timetable.

U.S. Representative Scott Perry, a Republican, disclosed the new delay at a House aviation safety hearing Wednesday and said that was unacceptable. “The importance of the issue demands (FAA’s) immediate action,” Perry said. “FAA is failing to mitigate safety threats.”

A July 2 letter from the top House Republicans and Democrats overseeing aviation issues to the FAA, Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao and the White House said the delay “poses serious risks to the National Airspace System, its users, and the nation’s most critical and sensitive facilities and assets.”

The letter noted that once the proposal is published, it will take up to two more years to be finalized.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1UC2FM
Sep 02, 2019, 03:30 PM
September 20 of what year?

Anyway, I believe the term is BOHICA.
Sep 03, 2019, 07:09 AM
Finally received the FOIA request, WOW....

Simple summary from what I received: (read a while ago, so details are a little fuzzy)
  • 5 Companies submitted information
  • All but 1 completely disregarded recreational users, and the one that did only briefly mentioned it.
  • One company, Skyward (a Verizon company) relied on the cellular network for operation (not surprising)
  • I believe all wanted detailed tracking, from the aircraft. So ground based solution was out.

The overall tone I got that is most see this as a need for commercial use (I'll agree to that) but like I mentioned above, almost all disregarded recreation users. No wonder the FAA has pushed this back....

Quick Reply