Jun 10, 2019, 02:07 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Thread OP
Discussion

AMA Acknowledges Limit in Class G = 400 AGL

In a AMA Government Affairs blog post dated 6 June 2019, the AMA acknowledges that the current limit for limited recreational sUAS operations in class G airspace is indeed 400 feet above ground level:
"Flying sites and individuals flying in uncontrolled airspace (Class G) can continue to fly up to 400’ AGL ... (empahsis added)"
AMA goes on to imply that "in the coming weeks" they will pursue a waiver for flights above 400 AGL in class G.

https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...ement-process/
Last edited by franklin_m; Jun 10, 2019 at 04:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2019, 02:22 PM
Team Futaba
Well, that seals it. We are toast, you must be delighted. But it does mention a waiver process for fixed sites to exceed 400 feet. So that is good news.
Jun 10, 2019, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Well, that seals it. We are toast, you must be delighted. But it does mention a waiver process for fixed sites to exceed 400 feet. So that is good news.
Actually, I have no problem with a waiver process, so long as that waiver is available to any citizen ... that whole equal protection under the law thing. After all, one does not need to be part of a CBO to inform communities and lawmakers about the wonders and benefits of radio control model aircraft.

It remains to be seen whether those waivers will be as expansive as some in Muncie want them to be. I predict it will be location dependent, with proximity to controlled airspace and / or active airfields playing a factor. For example, if a field is under 700 foot class E, I find it hard to imagine a waiver to go up that high. But time will tell.
Jun 10, 2019, 02:37 PM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
Actually, I have no problem with a waiver process, so long as that waiver is available to any citizen ... that whole equal protection under the law thing. After all, one does not need to be part of a CBO to inform communities and lawmakers about the wonders and benefits of radio control model aircraft.

It remains to be seen whether those waivers will be as expansive as some in Muncie want them to be. I predict it will be location dependent, with proximity to controlled airspace and / or active airfields playing a factor. For example, if a field is under 700 foot class E, I find it hard to imagine a waiver to go up that high. But time will tell.
As long as the process is quick, easy, and available to anyone, ANYWHERE, in class G. Then it might be ok. If it is for "fixed sites" only, then it is a fail.
Latest blog entry: Test entry
Jun 10, 2019, 03:03 PM
Team Futaba
Bottom line is FAA has clearly stated that for now they will not pursue prosecution for violating the guidance in 91-57B. But AMA appears to be dancing to the FAA's tune so I doubt we can count on them any longer.
Jun 10, 2019, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Bottom line is FAA has clearly stated that for now they will not pursue prosecution for violating the guidance in 91-57B. But AMA appears to be dancing to the FAA's tune so I doubt we can count on them any longer.
The question to ask is: "Which course of action best supports the AMA's eventual case for waivers ... AMA members following the law? Or AMA members ignoring the law?"
Jun 10, 2019, 04:08 PM
Team Futaba
AMA is playing along to make a better case with FAA. They know full well the AC is NOT a regulation and I pointed out numerous other "applicable laws" which you seem hung up on. Even FAA states clearly not a law, but guidance.

Basically I see this as the AMA selling out their base in order to appease the FAA. Not going to work out for them in the long run.
Jun 10, 2019, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
As long as the process is quick, easy, and available to anyone, ANYWHERE, in class G. Then it might be ok. If it is for "fixed sites" only, then it is a fail.
I donít have a problem with waivers being only at fixed sites as long as the sites donít have to be strictly AMA sites only.
Jun 10, 2019, 04:39 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Quote:
AMA is playing along to make a better case with FAA. They know full well the AC is NOT a regulation and I pointed out numerous other "applicable laws" which you seem hung up on. Even FAA states clearly not a law, but guidance.

Basically I see this as the AMA selling out their base in order to appease the FAA. Not going to work out for them in the long run.
A key part of the AC guidance is obey the law, and they listed the essence of "applicable laws" to make it clear what statutes they specifically meant.
Jun 10, 2019, 06:40 PM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira d
I donít have a problem with waivers being only at fixed sites as long as the sites donít have to be strictly AMA sites only.
Maybe you don't, but others will.....
Latest blog entry: Test entry
Jun 10, 2019, 08:23 PM
Class B, C, D and E airspace is under control of a specific ATC. Glass G is uncontrolled, I am not sure who the LOA would be with for a flight above 400 feet.
Jun 10, 2019, 08:39 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
ray, that would be a big part of why they are not yet available. an LOA for class G, that is
Jun 10, 2019, 10:15 PM
Team Futaba
I asked the AMA about this. Here os the response I got:

Quote:
I appreciate the issues you've raised; however, I would say that your reading of the recent blog posting is a misunderstanding of the intent.

The AC is in no way regulatory; however, it is advisory, it is FAA's guidance and should be given due consideration. That having been said, AMA's guidance to its members based on our direct communications with the FAA is that AMA members can continue to operate as they always have provided they operate with AMA's Safety Code and safety programming. AMA clubs who's flying sites are within controlled airspace can continue to operate as they have in the past and within their current agreements with ATC and/or the local airport until official Letters of Agreement (LOAs) are put into place.

We recommend that AMA members refrain from operating within controlled airspace at other than AMA recognized flying sites until FAA has established the use of LAANC for recreational flyers.
Jun 11, 2019, 12:14 AM
Quote:
I asked the AMA about this. Here os the response I got:
So bottom line unless we fly at a site that has a agreement with a nearby airport its still 400'.
Jun 11, 2019, 12:40 AM
Doug McLaren
I thought this law went into effect May 20th, 2019 and the "ß 44809. Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft" section seems to include a blanket 400' AGL limit for hobbyists?

(And this article says this went into effect May 20th.)

If I'm understanding this correctly, 1) this is now law, not advisory, and 2) there are not currently any exceptions to the 400' limit for hobbyists.

Have I misunderstood something?

This looks like a disaster for anybody who's not flying at a formal club field, and for club fields too ... though at least club fields might get the restrictions relaxed at some point.
Last edited by dougmc; Jun 11, 2019 at 12:46 AM.

Quick Reply