Jul 03, 2019, 02:18 PM
I am not sure we are to the point where everyone can print and cut their own kits, but we are getting close. It will be cool when we can get printing good enough for pulling glass parts or printed parts with a similar strength to weight of carbon.

I am currently building a CNC foam cutter and looking forward to having it running.

In the meantime we can continue to yell at clouds and demand companies resume unprofitable businesses.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2019, 03:34 PM
A man with too many toys
The main reason I like full kit over short kit is that you get everything in one purchase. It really adds up when you have to get a set of plane (most laser cutting services do not include plans), wood, and hardware. It's a pain to make landing gear, I have done it but it takes time. Canopies can also be a problem. If it needs a cowl that can take a lot of work and time to make a good scale cowl.

That's why I like companies like SIG and CCK that have everything in one package. I know from experience, kits cost much less that scratch built airplanes. Sometimes you have to do it because there is no other way.

It would be no initial cost for Horizon to contract out kits for the copyrights they now own. It would be all profit for Horizon. Now we need to make them realize that.

Jul 03, 2019, 03:37 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar
I agree. With the preponderance of 3d printers, laser cutters, and excellent free cad tools and also many excellent free and paid plans you have no excuse for not being able to model what you want. Yeah, a pre-cut kit is handy but profit margins are probably so low that it makes little sense to produce them. I personally am into 3d-printed planes at the moment but hybrid 3d printed/balsa makes most sense so I'll probably also get myself a little laster cutter or at least cnc for that at some point.
My experience with 3D printing is that things comes out heavy and not very strong - not good for making anything that flies.

Strength to wait ratio of balsa and aircraft plywood is best. Mother Nature is hard to compete with.

Jul 05, 2019, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
So why no questions we really want answered?
Like are there going to be any kits? What will happen to Hobbico and Great Planes kits? Are they to stop selling glow motors, etc?
LOL. the crap foamies do not last too long and are cheap to manufacture. I don't think they are interested on wood kits, ARF's anymore.
Jul 07, 2019, 12:37 PM
That was a bunch of softball questions. No real info.
Jul 10, 2019, 09:22 AM
HH probably handed the Interviewer a list of questions to ask. Those are not common questions coming from the field. The interviewer dresses more like me, and I would expect him to convey the same concerns as those posted above my feedback here. They sound like NYT-level language to me. Grab the bull by the horns. But, good job Jim getting the interview.
Jul 10, 2019, 09:58 AM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
Hey guys. I did, in fact, write all of my questions for Chris. It was my honor to have done a similar interview with the previous CEO as well before his passing. While it's impossible for me to ask the exact question you would like answered my goal was to get a feel for the new president and a view of the future of Horizon. My take away is that Chris is a very down to earth guy with the hobby's best interest in mind. Many of the key people at Horizon are pilots and friends that I have worked with and flown with for over 15 years. They are all quality folks doing quality work and we as hobbyists reap the benefits from their dedication and hard work. In these interesting RC times we are lucky to have a company like Horizon out there creating new and exciting products for us to enjoy.
Jul 10, 2019, 01:42 PM
Damn that dog can fly.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
My take away is that Chris is a very down to earth guy with the hobby's best interest in mind. Many of the key people at Horizon are pilots and friends that I have worked with and flown with for over 15 years. They are all quality folks doing quality work and we as hobbyists reap the benefits from their dedication and hard work. In these interesting RC times we are lucky to have a company like Horizon out there creating new and exciting products for us to enjoy.
Unless you live in the UK, where Horizon Hobby couldn't care less about their customers if they tried......
Jul 11, 2019, 02:50 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
It's just standard "corporate casual" language.

Don't forget that this industry is as competitive now as it's ever been. Intellectual property is an extremely valuable, and volatile, commodity. Where we see a hobby, they see a business. To reveal hard details in an online interview about the company's future products, plans, and marketing strategies would be foolish at best.

Buy the stuff you want and be happy guys like Chris and Jim exist. Personally, I like to see that the president of the company is an active RC pilot and not just some MBA stooge. Same goes for Jim, too - an actual hobbyist, not just a keyboard-thrashing rent-a-admin.

Keep up the good work, guys.
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Jul 11, 2019, 08:13 AM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
I have been the admin on RCGroups for around 15 years. I got my start on RCOnline when it existed. I started out stick building and have flown just about everything since then - profiles, warbirds, sailplanes, helis, quads, trucks cars, boats and more. I got my start at Hobby Lobby when we brought out Jeti, Axi and we brought out some of the first lipo batteries. I helped bring out and design some the very first 3D foames with Mike Glass and Chip Hyde back in the day. I also have an event that have hosted in Nashville for around 15 years.

I feel that my current part in the hobby is to help promote it in as many ways as possible. Let's shine a light on this great hobby to help it grow.
Thanks for the great post!
Jul 11, 2019, 03:53 PM
AMA #937780
Thank You J.T.

G.
Jul 15, 2019, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece
Where we see a hobby, they see a business.
Jul 15, 2019, 09:34 AM
Oh man, where to begin. I'm a club instructor, the first thing I tell a new student is to only buy from horizon or tower. Nobody else, talk to me first. As time goes on and they get more experienced they buy elsewhere. Customer service is vital to newbies.

As for 3D printed airplanes, it works. I have a current student that I'm training on a plane he printed. I had my doubts, but it actually flys pretty good. He's gonna solo on it. There are some short comings but over all, this is gonna work and I can see a lot of other guys going this direction.

With me being an older senior, I'm pretty old school so the newer stuff coming out isn't much interest to me. I'm concerned about long time mfgers going away because they don't fit in the new horizon plan. Here in Texas, Top Flite warbirds are a big deal. The general consensus is they are going away so guys are trying Phoenix and Seagull. Hangar 9 has a bad reputation because of their short life span.

I changed from Spektrum last year and started transistioning over to frsky because I got tired of waiting to see if I can do multi-engine telemetry with Spektrum. If I knew it was coming, I would have waited. But I can't get Andy to say one way or the other, so I moved on. I like Spektrum, been with it from the beginning, but I want multi-engine telemetry.

I understand keeping secrets has its place, but a little info on the direction and future products can help hold onto long lasting customers.
Edwin
Jul 15, 2019, 09:48 AM
I only do have two HH airplanes... the Opterra 2meter and the ASK-21 sailplane. In combination with the pre-programmed Spektrum A receivers that's just real ready-to-fly perfection. That Opterra is a dream to fly. Not yet tried out the tiny 21 sailplane. Been flying glow all my life and still do. But electric is dominating these days espescially with newcomers. Short kits : I do have a Tomboy kit but when made in England or USA cut-outs are often in inch and I can only find metric wood sizes here. I recently bought a SIG Kadet Sr kit from Paf models Germany out of nostalgia. Great quality as usual. I read somewhere they had a fire in the wood dept. And with all them RTF's from China no wonder many manufacturers simply quit. Same story for all the engines. That has been subject on some other threads here... Just like Multiplex these HH planes all do fly exellent. Did'nt know HH also do own Top Flite and other makes. Built a few warbird TF's in those days but very heavy with all those big balsa blocks. I guess that HH did buy those firms as to make sure no one else can start making them again ? Randy Linsalato is not making complete engines like Webra or Fox at Mecoa as far as I know ? And then there is the machinery to start making wooden kits ?
Last edited by Reginald; Jul 15, 2019 at 10:20 AM.
Jul 15, 2019, 02:45 PM
Damn that dog can fly.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1
I'm a club instructor, the first thing I tell a new student is to only buy from horizon or tower......
Customer service is vital to newbies.

Edwin
I used to do the same. However, now I tell newbies NOT to buy Horizon Hobby due to their awful customer service and high prices in the UK.
I now recommend Motion RC (best customer service on the planet) or hobbyking (better customer service than HH, but with significantly cheaper prices)

Quick Reply