Jun 11, 2019, 09:20 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Seriously though, what about the kit makers 6 pack? Has that been done before?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2019, 06:10 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
One of the early BO's I ran was specifically for Frog models, and other kit companies have been involved via the inclusion of their principle designers in other build off themes - for example Bill Dean and Albert Hatfull (KK) and Phil Smith (Veron). I like the six pack idea and whilst agreeng with Berkeley, KK and Graupner as leading contenders would certainly like to see Frog included (some of my very favourite models) and one of either Veron or Mercury.
Jun 12, 2019, 10:39 AM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
George, I only mentioned three so there would be room for some others from your side of the pond. And if we could fit in options from a couple of other European countries that would be fun too.

I know there were the Frog build and at least one "kit plan" build. But I thought it might be fun to force a bit of a focus on a group of specific companies.
Jun 16, 2019, 08:36 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Did Fearless Leader say we minions have a ‘failure of focus’? Us??
I prefer to think of incomplete builds as "incubating"...

Steve
Jun 16, 2019, 09:25 AM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85
I prefer to think of incomplete builds as "incubating"...

Steve
Which would make us all Mother Hens? ..... actually that explains quite a lot....

Jun 16, 2019, 10:30 AM
Any term limit is going to hinder the slow builders. Then, when you extend the time limit for the slow or rename the build title, you have build cycles overlapping which then can become confusing for the gradual viewer.
Gene
Jun 16, 2019, 11:55 AM
How about a vintage scale build off? Lots of '40's, 50's and 60's scale plans on OZ...

Just sayin'...

Steve
Jun 17, 2019, 08:25 PM
Alpha Whisky
Having been involved with and very much enjoyed these build-offs in recent times, I`ve been swithering over this thread for some while. However, despite some interesting suggestions I haven`t managed to reach any positive conclusion as yet.

Those made to date that do have some appeal include ideas offered in Bruce`s post # 4 re nominated designers. Not necessarily a 'baker`s dozen', maybe a few less - say ten. In addition to that list I`d like to nominate both Pete Holland and Hoh Fang-Chiun as worthy contenders. That`s eight. Add in, say, a couple of non-English speaking designers and that would provide a wide spread of diverse designs to consider ...

Another that has some appeal is the '6-Pack' idea suggested in posts #12 and #17, but please do give consideration to KK, Frog, and Veron for mine.....

While considering all this, I got to wonder where the 'vintage and oldtimer' thing goes. 'Sticky' thread #1 at the head of this forum dictates that these are confined to 'pre 1960 plans only'. That was decreed nigh-on 10 years ago. Does that mean that the calendar will dictate that no more 'vintage or oldtimer' models will eventuate?

Rather than hi-jack Bruce`s thread here, I`ll open a new thread and see what comment/debate may arise.....

Alan W
Jun 18, 2019, 01:34 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85
How about a vintage scale build off? Lots of '40's, 50's and 60's scale plans on OZ...

Just sayin'...

Steve
I like that idea. It'll be one of the options. It's not one I've seen in recent memory either.

AW, points well taken. And that's why the general consensus is a floating 50 year cutoff. Which made designs from 1969 and earlier eligible for this build. So for those that have a favorite from the mid 70's they just need to be patient....

WMD had something particular in mind when he started his thread with the pre 1960 limit. And that was his right. But "vintage" can be a number of things to as many people. Which is why I think a floating 50 year minimum age seems to work. And why the companion thread floating around here somewhere for pre-1970 also works.
Jun 18, 2019, 02:08 PM
I dunno. I think a floating 50 year cutoff puts an awful lot of US in the vintage category who aren't ready yet. It also makes for awfully short early adulthood, since anyone 10 years younger than me is a mere child.

Plenty of scale designs from the '30s too, BTW.
Jun 18, 2019, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln

Plenty of scale designs from the '30s too, BTW.
I've built a couple Earl Stahl designs...
Jun 18, 2019, 04:14 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
LIncoln, it's vintage MODELS... Not the builders... the MODELS ! ! ! !

Puts me in mind of the SAM group when I was telling some non flying friends that I'd joined the Society of Antique Modelers. I was young enough at the time that they were puzzled that I'd be allowed in.... It's all in how we read 'em....
Jun 19, 2019, 04:48 AM
Another that has some appeal is the '6-Pack' idea suggested in posts #12 and #17, but please do give consideration to KK, Frog, and Veron for mine.....
Alan W[/QUOTE]

Dont forget Mercury kits as I fancy the Marauder
john
Jun 19, 2019, 11:13 AM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Perhaps just a general "kit designs" build. It seems like all of us have favorite companies and that even limiting a "6 pack" build would not cover enough companies to satisfy folks.

Just based on demographics of the users here on RCG as I see them I was thinking two North American companies, two British outfits and two more with a good presence of designs found on Outerzone and generally off the internet from the other non english countries.

While this certainly won't satisfy everyone it does not have to be the FIRST such 6 pack build.

It's time to get rolling so I'm going to build up a list of options for the poll and post it a bit later today. Right now the truck needs to go down to the dealer to do a recall..... something about airbag charges that could explode turning the inside of the cab into a pipe bomb scene......
Jun 20, 2019, 02:09 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
OK, here's a proposed list for the poll that I'm going to post up officially later tonight. Look 'em over and make any last minute suggestions. For those that fancy the Kit Maker 6 Pack that are from Europe please help me out with suitable options for plans from outfits in France, Italy, Germany or the Nordic countries. We'd need a link to a good source if they don't already have a dozen or more plans on Outerzone.
  1. Vintage Gliders (been the bridesmaid a few times so giving it another chance)
  2. Kit Maker 6 Pack- Comet, Berkeley, Frog, Mercury and two more from the "continent" that have a good presence on OZ or where we can get a link to a good source. Perhaps Graupner as one?
  3. Any vintage kitted design.
  4. Flying Scale from plans published 50+ years ago
  5. YOBBO3, Year Of Birth Build Off 3
  6. Control line models- flown as intended or modified to fly with RC
  7. Pylon Power Build- pylon free flights done as free flight or adapted to climb and glide RC powered gliders, Designs for this would include models with overly high wings on tall cabins where there is an obvious pylon intent. Examples would be the Zombie, Go Getter and many/all of the PAAload designs of the 50's

Quick Reply