Jun 10, 2019, 01:10 AM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Discussion

Build topics for the second half of 2019

We're looking at just 3 weeks to go on the Small Field Vintage (SFV) build. I'd like to hear some suggestions on a topic for the next build to cover the second half of 2019.

And yes, I know that this is uncharacteristically early for me given my past performance. Just don't get all shocked and go quiet on me....

Not doing a vote yet. That'll come in a week or so. Just wanting ideas to include in the poll.

For starters I'm going to include some of the "bridesmaids" from past polls. So expect to see voting options for Vintage Gliders, Oddball designs, And I recall that during the OZNOP build that control line (converted or UC) seemed like it drew some significant attention too.

I know "oddballs" is a tough one. But for the sake of the build it would be anything that was not a conventional big wing near the front and small wing at the back sort of standard configuration. Or if it did have all the parts more or less in the standard configuration then there would have to be something REALLY different about the fuselage(s). So flying wings, canards, saucers, Martian Spaceships and just about anything by Ray Malmstrom .

Another option that I think could be fun would be "pylon power". Again this was an option earlier but it didn't go far. I think it was in the poll that included the Outerzone No Picture option which pretty well swept the poll. So I'd like to bring it back for another go. For those that fly Nos Gas and the newer Classic or whatever it is up through the 60's designs there's lots of options for a build. And for those of us that no longer care to chase off downwind for leagues it offers some amazing options for a climb and glide RC model powered either with an engine or electric motor. And perhaps an excuse to sharpen up our thermal soaring skills.

What other things are out there that you'd like to see as a theme? Toss 'em up and let's see if you get a seconder. Or if there's a favorite theme from a past build run by George that you'd like to see make a comeback throw that in a post too.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2019, 04:58 AM
Roy Clough designs? Gotta admit I like vintage gliders too. My inner 10 year old has been waiting decades for me to build a Sinbad. But, to be honest, it would probably be better for me to stay with various complete a project items. How far back is a vintage glider and is it ff, rc, or either? I was given a Bong Boomer project.
Jun 10, 2019, 05:17 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
When the time comes I'll vote, naturally, but will 'go with the flow' of whatever the electorat decide upon, hoping all the time that 'Three-piece Chuck Gliders' comes up trumps. It's not as if I'm lacking subjects already, though, as I've still two past models to repair and successfully get flown, four more 'planes acquired in need of restoration, and two more short kits winging their way to me as I type. Whatever theme is chosen, I'll have to do a 'quick'n' easy' version..!
(I seriously doubt that I could do Control Line, though, being unsteady enough on my pins as it is. )
Jun 10, 2019, 10:39 AM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Lincoln, if we opt for a specific designer I'd likely give folks a chance with another "Baker's Dozen" list of designers so they have a range of favorites to choose from. Of course Roy's designs would figure heavily in the "oddball" option too....

Lessee... off the top of my head for a list of Baker's Dozen that showcases some of the more cute designs and some that are just plain odd I'm thinking....
  1. Roy Clough
  2. Keith Laumer
  3. Ken Willard
  4. Ray Malmstrom
  5. Vic Smeed
  6. Dave Boddington

That's six off the top of my head. And I'd leave it open for more suggestions. It would be nice to see some more names from non english speaking countries to give the list more of a world flair too.
Jun 10, 2019, 01:39 PM
for the frenchies you can add "Emmanuel Fillon" a great disigner too.
Guy
Jun 10, 2019, 03:56 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
And for a bit more continental influence Radoslav Cizek. Oh yes, and Hoh Fang Chiun would provide an Oriental/Swedish touch. The "Baker's Dozen designer build offs were amongst the best supported, the other one which really seemed to catch on was the YOBBO - Year of Birth Build Off.
Jun 10, 2019, 04:19 PM
Oops. I've gone overboard again. I hope you all find it entertaining.

Fillon is talented and prolific, but I don't know if I'd call his work odd. Only in the sense that his scale subjects aren't often seen on this side of the Atlantic. But maybe he's done a bunch of stuff that's not scale, that I haven't seen.

Radislov Cizek is another prolific and talented modeler, but I don't think of his models as especially "cute" or odd. Again, I may have missed those.

I wonder how many other models René Jossien did with as much charisma as the Ailbass and Surpriz?

There was a publication called Lupin that had a high proportion of cute or odd models.

In the US, Bill Brown, Bill Hannan, Jim Longstreth, Sherman Gillespie, Dave Thornburg, Dave Stott, Henry Struck and Dick Baxter are worth mentioning. Also many of the non-scale, pre-war Comet designs. Or post war from FROG and Veron. Or some of Julius Unrath's work. Seems like there were a huge number of "cute" and/or oddball designs from the '30s, from many different designers. In Europe, I've seen a few designs which suggest there was a tradition of very non-scale scale models, and non-scale models, that were beautiful. See some of the attached plans.

The "problem", of course, is that most of these guys mostly did "normal" designs.
Jun 10, 2019, 05:25 PM
Not much wrong with 'normal' designs, in my book.
Jun 10, 2019, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
Not much wrong with 'normal' designs, in my book.
Of course not. That's why I had "problem" in quotes. However, Bruce was talking about designers of cute and/or odd models.
Jun 10, 2019, 06:42 PM
Hello !

We already had two Bakers Dozens, the second one was not that popular as the first. As Sundancer Wrote, the YOBBO (Year of Birth Buildoff) was really good. So maybe a second YOBBO ?
I would also recommend an 1/2 A Topic. There would be enough 3 Part Models for Dad3353
One good thing about Georges Build offs was, they often did have two Roads, when one single topic was to specific.

Best regards,
Sebastian
Jun 11, 2019, 02:33 PM
Culper Junior
I’d be happy with another Yobbo although I’ve been heavily in love with this lately.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1411

How about build any model you want but the wingspan must be your birth year in inches. ( minus the first two digits, of course)
Jun 11, 2019, 04:43 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
I'm all for ideas that increase the participation. After all that was the whole idea.

Heck, if everyone just picked a model and built it we'd have no need for any theme at all. But clearly you're all as bad as me for having a total failure of focus on one design among a sea of alluringly desirable options.... And it seems like these buildoffs are the blinders we all need to focus in on just a few options.

The Baker's Dozen idea wasn't intended to focus on any of the other themes. Just another option among the others with perhaps a lean to sport models that are cute or a bit odd without that being a requirement.

What about a 6 Pack build centered around six notable kit makers instead of any specific designers? That could end up covering a really wide range of designs with FF, UC and RC among the lineups of many such companies. Off the top of my head I'd go for Berkeley, Keil Kraft, Graupner and three more that have a good presence on Outerzone.

I looked over Emmanuel Fillon's listings on OZ and found a heavy focus on scale. So while that made me not include his name right away in a possible BD theme it certainly does not eliminate it either. And as much as I enjoyed building, flying and not so much enjoyed losing the Jim Longstreth Bostonian Monocoupe his designs don't really fit in with the 50 year floating cutoff by quite a few years. Same with a lot of those others.

At one point I also suggested the idea of an "Either-Or" combo buildoff where we'd go with the two top options from the poll. Any thoughts on that? Or would that simply make the blinders angle out too far and cause more confusion?

This is all about you guys. So let me know.

Speaking of pandering to the masses how are you all for the continuation of the two builds a year? I see a lot of the projects being side stepped over to CAP 20XX threads.

What if we changed things around a bit. Start and run a build twice a year as has been popular. But instead of ending one and starting the next each build has a 1 year limit. So we simply end up with overlapping builds after the first 6 month period. If this idea flies then you fast folk would still get your two builds a year. But those where life gets in the way would have a year to reach completion.

Your thoughts on this idea?
Last edited by BMatthews; Jun 11, 2019 at 04:50 PM.
Jun 11, 2019, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
... overlapping builds after the first 6 month period...
I can picture myself now...

Build 1 started... (6 months pass...)
Build 2 started... Build 1 is yet to be completed.(6 months pass...)
Build 3 started... Build 2 is yet to be completed. Build 1 is a little behind schedule. (6 months pass...)
Build 4 started... Build 3 is yet to be completed. Build 1 nears completion. Build 2 is a little behind schedule. (6 months pass...)
Build 5 started... Build 4 is yet to be completed. Build 1 is finished, yet to fly. Build 2 nears completion. Build 3 is a little behind schedule. (6 months pass...)
Build 6 started... Build 5 is yet to be completed. Build 1 flies. Build 2 is finished, yet to fly. Build 3 nears completion. Build 4 is a little behind schedule. (6 months pass...)
Build 7 started... Build 6 is yet to be completed. etc...

Last edited by Dad3353; Jun 11, 2019 at 08:02 PM.
Jun 11, 2019, 07:21 PM
Culper Junior
Did Fearless Leader say we minions have a ‘failure of focus’? Us??
Jun 11, 2019, 09:14 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Dad, you very much won't be alone in that situation. I've come to realize that our eyes are ALWAYS bigger than our time budget.... Just look over to your left and I'll be there with a similar size pile of half builts.

Aeronca, I calls 'em like I sees em.... well at least as much as I can see with these blinders on....

Quick Reply