Jun 09, 2019, 01:02 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP
Discussion

Memory lane

A colleague commissioned me to fix two wings (folds, buckling and such) in exchange for a 1:144 model of an N1 rocket (not airworthy, but the original was not either).

One of them I know very well, it is a Super Fr3ak that Tom Siler built for me in 2012.

Despite a wing fold in the middle and other battle damage it is still in good condition.

Back when I got it I immediately appreciated its easy handling and lift reserves. The plane also went through three fuselage version's developed by Tom. The second one, which I termed "fatty" performed against all odds really well. Despite a bit a flexible fuselage, heavy tails (for today's standard) it really launched bitchin. I remember that at one Bruce, Gavin challenged me to a launch duel with his Polaris. Frustrated of being outlaunched, he asked me to wait and he went to assemble his Snipe (a novelty back then) to beat the Fr3ak.

Even once I retired the plane from contest flying, I still flew it for years for fun and to teach others how to throw a DLG (once even to a non rc-buddy who used to throw discuss. This experiment added to the list of structural booboos).

I could never fully explain it, but this particular plane launched better than the other Fr3aks I tried and it had some extra stall reserves. Whatever it is, it is a nice plane.

Thanks again Tom for your work. As you see, it still lives on.

Reto

* It appeared that to such an athlete, a heavier plane seemed better suited. I think the stuff they throw is generally heavier.
Last edited by RetoF3X; Jun 10, 2019 at 10:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2019, 04:41 PM
The Swiss Army knife lives! I love that airframe. I’ve never flown anything more forgiving of over control. Put it in anything resembling lift and it goes up. Many great memories there. Many a snipe proved to be less than magical.
Jun 09, 2019, 05:17 PM
Funny, I just finished rereading the SuperFr3aK thread, and I spent some time ogling at this particular one. I remember seeing it at BSOUT (I think) in person. It’s a beautiful wing.

It’s interesting to me how suddenly that thread ended once Tom announced the NXT. Kinda felt like the Super had a lot left to give. Oh well.
Jun 09, 2019, 05:19 PM
PS: I wanna see pics of the N1 as well
Jun 10, 2019, 10:37 AM
plays with toy planes
Quote:
Originally Posted by retof3x
an n1 rocket (not airworthy, but the original was not either).
lol

Quick Reply