Mar 17, 2002, 04:50 PM
Senior Member unum multum
Thread OP

Making a building table?

I am trying to make a table to build on using an interior door and can't find any homosote board to cover the top. Can some one tell me a national chain that sells this type of insulation board? Is it sold under a different name? I went to Lowes and Home Depot but could not find it. I asked some carpernters but they have never heard of it. I'm wondering if there is another name for this type of board.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2002, 05:05 PM
Same Day Delivery
I've been thinging og homasote to top my building board, Home Depo carries it, but I like a smother surface, and the material I have used for years has been 1/2" drywall. Pins stick better, but the drywall gypsum is abrasive and dulls the pins, no big deal, just use new ones for every project. Just be carefull of the tapered edge on drywall dosent get under anything your building, also cover the cut edge with duct tape, so you dont get gypsum dust scatered around.
Mar 17, 2002, 08:54 PM
Gromit,Rebel w\o applause
I was at home depot looking for something to build on that pins would stick into that was flat and couldn't fine anything less than a 4x8 sheet, while walking out I saw some 2x4 pieces of the green sheetrock by the checkout and asked how much, the cashier said take it, they are going to throw it away anyway, it works great.

Jim
Mar 18, 2002, 09:20 AM
Ceiling tile works great too- comes in 2x4' sheets. Lowes would only sell them by the $20 bundle, but Home Depot sells them for like $1.20 per sheet. Flip it over, though, the white paint they use rubs off on everything. I'd imagine blue or pink foam would work pretty well too, and comes in 4x8' sheets, if you need the extra size.
Mar 18, 2002, 03:02 PM
I'm disoriented!
I use 3/4" pink foam as a building board on top of my door.

Homosote is a paperboard product. Try a lumber yard or building supply. It is still widely used as far as I know.

chris
Mar 18, 2002, 03:11 PM
Mike,
I use a couple of pieces of the ceiling tile flipped upside down on top of a huge metal desk that I picked up for $2.00 at a surplus auction here at UTM. The desk is 6'x4' with a 3'x2' extension off to the side. It took my wife, twins and I to unload the thing and they were unhappy campers about it. My comment was that the thing was going to be in the barn and don't look at it. At times, they use it more than I do... Inside the desk I found $1.40 in change and some current cupons... so the thing cost .60.
Mar 18, 2002, 05:43 PM
You can buy cork off of rolls in many stores. Depending upon the thickness you might want to double layer it. Spreading the glue evenly is the key to getting a good flat surface that will stick forever.
Mar 19, 2002, 09:24 PM
Thread OP

RE: Comments

Thanks for the replys.

I've been using a ceiling tile on a table to build on but I thought the Homosote might hold up a little better since I have to move the tile and it doesn't have much strength.

My problem is finding the Homosote. I can't find any product by that name in Lowes or Home Depot. The closest thing I can find to a paper board is Black Board sheeting and nobody seems to know what I'm talking about when I ask for homosote.

Cork would work but I think that is going to be exspensive. I can pick up a hollow core door cheap, as in free. It's good to have connections

Maybe I should find some cheap ceramic magnets and go the sheet metal route
Mar 19, 2002, 11:15 PM
I just use the pins and a cheap hollow core door on top of a bench with no problems so far. Just lay the board on the bench when you build and take it off and you have an extra bench without worrying about banging up your good flat surface. Take a look at the plans for these benches also. They work great, are tough as nails and easy to build while giving you even legs at the same time.
http://WWW.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/tablefig.htm

How embarrasing!!!! Try that and see how it works. Guess I should try sleeping some at night instead of being here all the time
Last edited by Mike C; Mar 20, 2002 at 10:02 PM.
Mar 20, 2002, 02:56 AM
change .okg in the link to .org and it will work better
Mar 21, 2002, 01:34 PM
Thread OP

RE: Table Link

Thanks Mike C. for the link. If I get a weekend off, one of these days, I might cobble a couple of these together.
Mar 21, 2002, 09:40 PM
4 Point Landing
Dude!! Go to Home Depot and get a 2x4 sheet of ceiling tile, a 2x4 MDF shelf board, each of these are 1/2" thick, also get some 1" trim strips. Total cost: $6.85

Take some 3M spray and lightly spray the top of the MDF board. Lay the ceiling tile white side down. After it sets up, cut the trim strips to length and use small finishing nails to attach to the sides of the boards you just glued togeather.

Don't overspray so you can change out the ceiling tile later.

This table is FLAT and STABLE. I have built 10 planes on it and the tile is still doing great. Try it

Fred420
Mar 23, 2002, 07:03 AM
Suspended Account
I use Celotex (Lowes), screwed onto a door. works like a champ.

Quick Reply