Jun 08, 2019, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Nano Telemaster (19")

I've been working on a small telemaster scratch build roughly half the size of the Micro. 3 channels, flat (non-lifting) stabilizer - since that's what the mini has.

There's a warm place in my heart for telemasters and I figure this may be the smallest to date. When I was a teen I scratch built a regular telemaster from a friend's plans, to save money. Then I scratch built a senior, eventually adding floats. I used to go out with my dad in the canoe on the river to fly, great memories. It also folded the wing and the engine nearly sunk (held just by the throttle line!), because I didn't know much about spar construction. I did end up rebuilding it - but perhaps as a tribute here on this plane, the spar construction is robust.

The yellow micro telemaster you see was from a kit about 10 years ago but I replaced most the wood to get the weight down to below spec. It flies (or floats) exactly the way I like.

I'm not sure what scale this "nano" is because I built it over a year and was sloppy about about which plans were scaled to what. It's slightly clipped wing as it turns out. It will be about 38-40g when complete. I was shooting for lighter but then got excited about the construction. The overkill lights were flashing red in the workshop when I added full span shear webs, for example. Also has .020" carbon rod embedded in the sitka spruce spars. The wing can easily hold a pound further out than mid-span, which is silly.

I should be finishing this up within a week or so. I'll be using a brick radio and a brushed, geared motor.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2019, 11:50 AM
Hey, watch this!
I don't remember how many Telemasters I've built over the last couple of decades - but it remains one of my favorite designs and I fell for her when I first saw the .60-powered version in RCM. I still have a .40-sized one converted to 4S li-pos in the attic. Haven't flown her in years.
Jun 13, 2019, 04:37 PM
Nice, what are you going to use from covering and did you make the plans or you just resize them.
Jun 13, 2019, 11:03 PM
Thread OP
Here's a small update. Covered the wing (Microlite), installed the motor and brick. I seem to have a radio problem. Have not used this brick before, but the servos are very jittery under power (and even after the power is cut). Not sure what to do...I would tolerate some jitter but this is in the range of 25% or more throw.
Jun 13, 2019, 11:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutin
Nice, what are you going to use from covering and did you make the plans or you just resize them.
I resized plans from the Jr. Telemaster on Outerzone for the shape, then improvised on the truss. Got confused over the resize since I built the fuselage last year so it is a bit clipped wing. I tend to sweat tiny details and gloss over massive ones like wingspan and length.
Jun 14, 2019, 09:18 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
The jittering servis could need a cleaning, you can unscrew the motor and wiper assembly to clean the contacts and the resistive strips. I used a pink pencil eraser for this once.
Hope that helps, it'll be a great model when you get it finished
Jun 15, 2019, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
I finally figured out it is the AS3X feature which is causing the jittery behavior. I may just try flying it to see how it goes with the stock setup. I like to head off cable/software/firmware rage unless I have to go down that dark path. Makes my hobby too much like my day job.
Jun 16, 2019, 12:00 PM
I fly with my little eye
Looking good, want to see the NT on floats!
I have use d the AS3X programming lead to switch the stability off (Channel 5, 2 posn switch) on my latest.
Jun 20, 2019, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
Here it is ready to fly. Actually I broke the carbon rod landing gear on a trim flight in the backyard after the photos, so I do need to get some music wire this weekend and redo the gear.

Lots of weight happened between frame and finish; not even close to my estimate of 40g. And actually I wanted lower than that. So this just v1 of the Nano and I will need to give it another try. Time to switch to separate RX/ESC/servos and tissue covering...and less rigid construction.

Looking forward to getting it in the air this weekend.
Jun 22, 2019, 11:13 PM
Thread OP
New landing gear made and first flights today. It came back in one piece, so that's good. But it is just too heavy to climb out decently (and I tend to - for whatever strange reason - favor less power). I think 5g of diet are needed, and 10g would be better.

Also I was fighting AS3X. The elevator felt ok, but the rudder might be feeding an opposite signal...or it is trying to correct roll with ailerons and finding a rudder servo in its place. Result was every short, low flight resulting in a spiral, except for the last one where I was aggressive on the controls.

I think I need to grab an RX cable so I can disable AS3X and get this thing flying like a telemaster should.

Fun to see it in the air though. I think I'm going to stick with this design and iterate a second version with the lessons learned. What I may do next is build a new fuselage and tail of slightly smaller scale (to match the wing) and definitely lower weight.

Edit: I confirmed the rudder is giving *opposite* commands via AS3X. This is no doubt due to my decision to cross the pushrods over (for mechanical reasons) which would make it different than one of the RTF foam models. I reversed the channel on the TX...but no impact on AS3X. Cable is on order so I can play with the settings or turn it off.
Last edited by CGordon; Jun 23, 2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Update
Jun 23, 2019, 06:08 PM
Gordon.. just reroute the rudder pushrod out to the other side of the rudder and remount the rudde horn. Correct the throw sense in the transmitter (it has no effect on AS3X). Problem solved. Besides, you may well find you like AS3X... I did.

Being able to switch/programme AS3X is nice, but I personally found it took hours of fiddle. This fix is quicker.

And while you are in the tail, shave off a few grams inside the fuselage.. that makes TWO problems solved. The diagonal stringerlets can most all be lost with little effect on stiffness or durability -because this is a VERY LIGHT plane. It will usually just bounce even if augered in.

jack/juanito
Jun 23, 2019, 09:26 PM
Thread OP
Jack, I already have the cable ordered, but you have a sane option I hadn't considered. If the software hits a certain level of frustration I will take it!

Meanwhile I have been scrutinizing the many plans on Outerzone for the v2 fuselage. I like the regular Senior telemaster profile best so I will design to that. My wing is about .30" too wide in chord for exact scale (lower aspect ratio) so I will bump the area of the moving tail surfaces a bit. I think this will be a good combo for the small size, and basically within the normal variances I've been looking at with these plans.
Jun 29, 2019, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
I spent about an hour fussing with the drivers for the Spektrum rx cable and wasn't getting anywhere, so I just gave up before it turned into an obsession.

On to the next fuselage. I had some truss ideas I want to try out, so I built a couple quick test sections. The balsa one has a double-layer construction and is very rigid, and the carbon one uses the smallest rod I have - .020" - to minimize weight. Unlike the balsa it has some discernible deflection but it is reasonable. Feels like the limiting factor is the longerons rather than the tiny rod.

I like the carbon. It probably isn't twice as light as the balsa like you see on my scale (if I optimized the balsa more), but it assembles nicely and can scale down to tiny sizes and bend rather than break. My next step is to take my profile drawing and work a carbon truss structure into it.
Jun 29, 2019, 01:22 PM
Gordon and all my other friends ---
I offer for your delictation and enlightenment the marvelous poem by Oliver Wendell Holmes "The Wonderful one-Hoss Shay" http://holyjoe.org/poetry/holmes1.htm

Now, therein sitteth a moral:
---- One CAN overbuild.
And a codicil or two:
1) the covering provides most of the needed torsional strenghth
and
2) the lighter it is, the slower it crashes, leading to fewer breakings.

best,
jack/juanito
Last edited by juanito; Jun 29, 2019 at 05:42 PM.
Aug 03, 2019, 10:59 PM
Thread OP
I'm back with an all-new version of the "nano".

Goals were to replace the brick with separate rx, esc, and servos and go down a lot in weight. I was pretty happy to get this result with a 32.5g AUW.

v1 vs. v2 weight improvements:
-2.1g - new wing with less materials and tissue covering
-1.8g - all new radio gear and direct soldering
-.3g - wheels
-~15g(!) - fuselage with carbon truss and built-up stab with .010 balsa sheeting

The balsa/carbon truss is made with .020" rod and very thin balsa. It is very rigid and light. But with the amount of "processing" required to build it I'm definitely thinking about a molded all-carbon fuselage for a third version of the nano.

The tail came out light too, sheeting top and bottom with what I will call "balsa paper" because it is so thin and plyable (.008 - 012" thick). I wanted to go with the original lifting stabilizer this time.

With 31.5g instead of the portly 51g of the first version, it really flies great! I need to trim the elevator but had a nice couple short flights today, climbing out at about 1/3 throttle.

Quick Reply