Jun 11, 2019, 07:35 PM
world's slowest builder
Sure if they don’t want to sell more of their product that’s fine. They may be totally happy with the sales they have. The case could certainly be made for them to make a relatively small investment and have a really nice product that would be certainly sellable by the sales people they work with.

But they could get lucky and someone on the outside will do their work for them and sell the intakes , Someone like Air sally.

To do it right, the plane will need to be sold without formers so someone else could also design proper formers and put them in.

Again will be a better quality product in the end of the factory would just do the design and sell it that way
Last edited by Air-Jon; Jun 11, 2019 at 08:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2019, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM
The inlet has a cut out at the top before it reaches that former. That is one thing that needs to be closed. There would then just need to be a connection piece to the fan.

The fan does need to go back. There was plenty of former there to move it back but i cut it off trying to make the model as light as possible. I know, not the best idea but honestly with some carbon plate, I could mount the fan to the plate and then extend it them forward to the same holes I have. I don't know if that makes sense but I'll draw it up in CAD.

The other thing I was thinking was keeping everything closer to the CG...I pushed it a bit much but I think it will work. I agree with Air-Jon but I want to see what happens first.

What effect will pushing the fan back and batteries forward have as compared to keeping it closer to the CG? Again this was just my thought process but this thread is meant to come up with a simple solution that is the easiest for the factory. Which could be just closing the duct that is there. Either the factory or someone else could sell the connecting duct, plenty on here could make it. We just need to stop telling the factory to make electric and help them solve how simply. They are turbine guys not electric. Just my opinion.
On my 1/8 Tamjet, though slightly bigger than the T-One, the EDF was mounted right over the retract units, and the 12S 6000 mAh battery was mounted just under the rear end of the canopy. I had ducting and no cheater with a 110 mm fan.
Jun 11, 2019, 08:21 PM
Thread OP
Taxi tests done, brakes set up, steering seems good. I still need to do static thrust but that will have to be tomorrow.

It would be great to have the manufacturer just make this in either turbine or EDF, I agree. But I think we are just going to keep waiting. They are experts in turbines. The experts in EDF are in this forum. I'd be willing to help but i'm not the expert at ducting or really anything. I have ideas though and don't mind being told i'm wrong (just look at the fan i designed sitting on my test stand). Maybe we just help the manufacturers.
Jun 11, 2019, 08:58 PM
world's slowest builder
Good luck ken, you did a nice job of converting without major hassle. I can tell you it is going to sound awesome with the open ducting!
Jun 12, 2019, 08:18 AM
KingtechUSA
Quote:
Taxi tests done, brakes set up, steering seems good. I still need to do static thrust but that will have to be tomorrow.

It would be great to have the manufacturer just make this in either turbine or EDF, I agree. But I think we are just going to keep waiting. They are experts in turbines. The experts in EDF are in this forum. I'd be willing to help but i'm not the expert at ducting or really anything. I have ideas though and don't mind being told i'm wrong (just look at the fan i designed sitting on my test stand). Maybe we just help the manufacturers.
Ken you are doing great work! The good part about this manufacture is they will listen and make changes. Lets see how yours does and see what can be done without to much work.
Jun 12, 2019, 08:35 AM
Thread OP
Thanks!

My goal was always 16.5lbs. I’ve decided to add some weight (0.4lbs) in the tailcone to push the batteries forward. I will also put on the wing tip missiles which are behind the CG. So 16.5lbs will still be good.

I can tell you that last night it got up to speed very quickly on taxi tests. Heading to Jet Jam Friday morning to fly after these tweaks.
Jun 12, 2019, 09:29 AM
KingtechUSA
Quote:
Thanks!

My goal was always 16.5lbs. Iíve decided to add some weight (0.4lbs) in the tailcone to push the batteries forward. I will also put on the wing tip missiles which are behind the CG. So 16.5lbs will still be good.

I can tell you that last night it got up to speed very quickly on taxi tests. Heading to Jet Jam Friday morning to fly after these tweaks.
Have fun! Get Bob B to help you spot. He is a good spotter for events and a friend. He will take care of you.
Jun 12, 2019, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Thanks!

My goal was always 16.5lbs. I’ve decided to add some weight (0.4lbs) in the tailcone to push the batteries forward. I will also put on the wing tip missiles which are behind the CG. So 16.5lbs will still be good.

Ken,

I'm here at the Jet Jam. Look forward to meeting you. Are you bringing this F-16?

Sean

P.S. I have my fish scale with me if you want to check the status thrust.
Last edited by EDFjetpilot; Jun 12, 2019 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Jun 12, 2019, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Gunrad, Bob is a great guy we talk on messenger often.

Hey Sean,

Yes, bringing the F-16 Friday morning. Look forward to meeting you as well.

Final weight 16.74lbs and I was able to move the batteries 1.25" forward. So there is now exactly 4" between the batteries and the inlet lip.

wasn't able to do a static thrust test as its been raining. Didn't want to do it in the shop...you know so not to bother the other half and kids. I think everything is looking good now.

Not sure on these electric brakes. They don't seem very proportional but they work nicely. Anybody ever set these up?
Jun 12, 2019, 09:12 PM
Ken,

They are not very proportional with the stock brake controller. The JagRC xicoy brake controller seems to work better. I have one and have tested it but havnt flown yet.
Jun 13, 2019, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Kevin, I was hoping this new version controller would from JP would be more proportional but i guess not. It's not horrible, just not a wide range.
Jun 13, 2019, 06:31 AM
Ken,

Great! We've got a few other turbine to EDF conversions here already. I've got plans to do a conversion this next year...I'll tell ya about it (and show you) when ya get here. It'll be my first attempt at such a conversion.

Have a safe trip,

Sean
Jun 13, 2019, 08:10 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Sean looking forward to it. Hopefully I can get my butt up early and get a start on the drive. See you in the a.m.
Jun 13, 2019, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
Looking for feedback on the static thrust results.

Setup was plane facing a wall, my scale on the wall and build up to wide open throttle.

Static thrust was 11.25lbs. Not sure what this tells me other than makes me worry about the maiden.

Thanks
Jun 13, 2019, 06:34 PM
world's slowest builder
Those are good numbers for a 90mm with a dirty intake situation. The measurement might be off a bit due to being on the wheels, but its probably close. With all up weight of less than 17 lbs and all that wing, it will fly just fine on that nearly 12lbs thrust with likely almost 250 MPh efflux. It will take a sec to get on step but it will fly great once it's going. There are a few YA F-16s 1st gen light setups that rip on a 90 and they only weight a bit less than yours with a lot less wing.

Im thinking a 100 or 110 12S schubie hds or hacker Streamfan is the way to go for this jet if it had proper formers and ducting for EDF. That is what i plan for my yellow which is smaller but a 110 fan fits great!
Last edited by Air-Jon; Jun 13, 2019 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply